Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 1,700 total)
  • Soccerball – 2017/18 jumpers for goalposts megathread
  • shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

De  Bruyne. Good at everything and works his bollocks off.

muggomagic

Pascal Gross. Best value premier league player EVA! (I am of course hugely biased)

MSP

I would still say DeBruyne, if you don’t watch city regular you just don’t understand how he controls every game, the thing is his stats are fantastic any way, but they don’t fully reflect what he does, it is his passes that are responsible for 75% of the goals city scores, the decisive passe that cuts the opposition to shreds, even if there are a couple of passes after so he doesn’t get “assist”, also somebody posted about chances created compared to goals scored a bit further up, Agureo actually has a bit of a poor conversion rate, and think how many goals he has scored, with being rotated out of the team frequently for the first half of the season, and that tells you how many chances are being created.

However I would say that DeBruyne had a goalden (see what I did there) period up to Christmas, and has just dropped back a little bit now, were as Salah has improved, I would say with Salah’s recent form he is currently the best over the past month or so, and if it continues this way until the end of the season it is going to be very close.

This season it is a real shame that only one of them will be the best player, they both probably deserve it. I think they have both raised the bar above what we have seen for quite a few seasons.

MSP

So, is anyone interested in international football anymore?

I was browsing through netfix looking for something to watch tonight, and nothing tickles my fancy, and then a sense of dread came over me as I realised “oh god I am going to watch the game aren’t I” well at least I have some “edibles” to enjoy.

weeksy

Nope.

binners

Life’s too short to watch Engerland friendlies

Actually, life’s too short to watch their tediously predictable floundering and going out in the group stages at the World Cup and the Euros.

The only interest I have in these pointless Engerland games is the usual needless injuries that are generally sustained. I hope Rashford doesn’t play. I’d happily see Jose adopt Fergies approach where players like him would develop phantom injuries just before the international break, only to miraculously recover once it was out of the way

MSP

Not a bad international friendly in Manchester tonight, if I had been around I wouldn’t have minded going to watch Spain vs Argentina.

binners

Well, now that all that silly international nonsense is out of the way, normal service is resumed. I’m hoping that Everton put up a fight against City, otherwise they could win it next weekend at the Derby.

I’m not optimistic.

Spurs v Chelski is always an interesting one. The game from a couple of seasons ago where the ref decided to let both sides just kick lumps out of each other was one of the most bonkers premiership games ever! A repeat of that would be good 😀

hodgynd
    Free Member

We can go a long way to securing our premiership safety today against Huddersfield ..who seem to have a lot of injury problems ?

No excuses then ..( other than we haven’t played for three weeks ! ) ..

binners

You won’t see many more one-sided games than this in the Premiership. City are absolutely taking Everton apart, without apparently breaking a sweat

MSP

Everton lucky to be only 3 goals down at half time, city are just on another planet.

As a city fan, while happy about the success of recent years, I also missed the old days of celebrating snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, this year has washed that away.

imnotverygood

Not good news about Ray Wilkins. One of my heroes when I was a kid. Hope he pulls through.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Well dare I say it ..but I’m starting to look up the table rather than down ..up one place to 12th but with a game in hand over both Watford & Bournemouth which would lift us into the dizzy heights of 10th place if we got 3 points from it..

Yeah sorry to hear about Butch ..not really a fan of his but hope he makes a good recovery .

binners

I think everyone hopes Ray Wilkins makes a full recovery. Good luck to him.

Just watching MOTD, having watched the game earlier, and if anyone would like to talk me through how on Earth Mane stayed on the pitch after following the most embarrassing dive ever (he should have been wearing Speedo’s!) with the most blatant handball? He should have been off!

If Palace had had anyone up front other than Benteke, who couldn’t hit a cows arse with a banjo…..?

MSP

I think the ref was going to red card Mane, but the CP players surrounded him (and especially Cabaye waving the imaginary card) broke his train of thought and he decided he wasn’t going to allow them to dictate his actions. What he should have done IMO was give Mane his second yellow and therefore red, and then yellow card Cabaye.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Cabaye did that for the “dive” also..so maybe he should have had two yellow cards and been sent off too?

I hate seeing players do that ..

I’m slightly at odds as to wether it was a dive though ..I watched the match live too and there was definite contact which looked minimal in slow motion ..but in real time looked worse ..and as Souness said ( not that I like to agree with one of the worst managers we have ever had ) ..all of his weight was on his right leg when the contact occurred which made things look ” delayed ” ..but I’m not sure it was .

I think he was unlucky to be booked and I have seen penalties given for less ..

binners

It wasn’t a dive? Give over! The Ashley Young of a few seasons ago would have considered that a bit over-theatrical 😉

I have to agree with you about players doing the whole card thing though. Just let the red do his job. And it’s counter-productive, like you said, as Mane should definitely have been walking for that

Anyway…. Spurs Chelski later so i’ve no doubt we’ll have plenty more cards to discuss 😀

MSP

Spurs Chelski later

Rumours in the papers this morning were that chelsea were going to make a move for Pochettino. Could just be trouble making ahead of the match, but if there is any truth, I wouldn’t be surprised if that forced manu’s hand to also make a move.

If it does happen, it could also see a big fee being paid to spurs, akin to a star player transfer.

hodgynd
    Free Member

A bit of a wind up if you ask me ..money talks that’s true but with a new stadium coming and a very real possibility of surpassing Chelsea in the not too distant ..why would he want the hassle of moving to another London team ..your other guess has more legs methinks ..

binners

He’d have to be mad to go to Chelski. I reckon that they’re doing it as a wind up as it looks like this afternoon Spurs might finally break their Stamford Bridge hoodoo. And Spurs will be in the Champions League next year. Chelski won’t.

Going back to the player of the season thang, David Silva was unreal yesterday. He always is. Everyone goes on about De Bruyne, but surely Silva is the perfect all-round player. He just runs games! Sane has got to be up there too.

mikey74
    Free Member

He’d be mad to go to Utd as well.

MSP

Silva has come on strong recently, De Bruyne has been amazing most of the season, but I was thinking yesterday that Silva must also be a contender. Funny thing about De Bruyne when you watch him make a run from his own half, it looks like he burns out quite quickly and it is only sheer will of mind that keeps him going.

Sane, Sterling and Jesus are all eligible for young player of the year, as well as stones who was  fantastic the first half of the season until he got injured.

hodgynd
    Free Member

What’s happening at Arsenal ?

I hadn’t realised the sheer amount of fan unrest..I get the whole Wenger out thing ..although given the success he has had he would have a job for life at Newcastle..but to be honest I was shocked at the number of empty seats I’m seeing on my t.v…how fickle !

To be honest though the performance on the pitch is absolutely woeful on the evidence of that first half ..no longer a team to be remotely worried about ..

binners

Arsenal don’t just need to be worrying about Their woeful lacklustre performances (all those empty seats speak volumes), they need to be looking over their shoulder at Burnley

They’re on a roll at the moment and I wouldn’t bet against them finishing above them

binners

Conte getting sacked in the morning then? It’s the Chelski way! 😂

Who the hell are they going to get in next? And who the hell would want that job anyway?!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You’d have to say the UCL places are almost decided now wouldn’t you?

binners

Can’t see it changing. It’s all academic now. I expect  an exercise in bus parking by Jose next weekend to frustrate City (and anyone who enjoys watching attacking football) and a procession to the end where the only interest is will Burnley finish above Arsenal and the relegation scrap which will probably go down to the last minute of the last game

mikey74
    Free Member

Who the hell are they going to get in next? And who the hell would want that job anyway?!

It’s a bonanza payday. I’m sure they’ll get someone who’s mercenary enough. They don’t even have to succeed: Just do an average job for 6 months to a year, let top-class players manage themselves, and walk away with £5m in their pocket when it all hits the fan. Hell, even a league-winning manager gets the sack these days, so there’s no real motivation to be anything other than someone who turns up and puts names on a team sheet each week.

MSP

Pardew is available.

hodgynd
    Free Member

Sympathy to all WBA fans …but you were warned .

Hope that slimy **** never gets near another club and also hope that we don’t have to suffer his ” expert” analysis as a tv pundit  ..and Carver ..you might love Newcastle ..but you are completely shite as a coach .

The real pity though  is that once again Pardew escapes without a relegation blemish on his CV ..

https://www.joe.co.uk/sport/newcastle-and-crystal-palace-fans-response-to-pardew-sacking-says-it-all-170611

MSP

Fascinating week or so of football for city, Liverpool-United-Liverpool, I give the edge to city over two legs, but am am nervous, it is far from a guaranteed win. Should be exciting though, I think every football fan will want to watch these two teams go toe to toe.

here is my combined 11.

BBC team selector

weeksy

Interesting you’d have Firmino instead of Aguero.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The table does not lie and City are better than Liverpool. However both teams are capable of winning this. I suspect one player will have a blinder though and turn the match. As you note, with your team, city have more than Pool – both your strikers are better than Firminho IMHO

I also like the way pep is going to play a weakened team against Man u[ if not well payed on the mind games] – really rubs our nose in it if they still win and easy excuse if they dont win;either way they are still going to win the league by a country mile and deservedly so.

MSP

Interesting you’d have Firmino instead of Aguero

Aguero has a surprisingly low conversion rate over the past few years, although he does create chances himself, his goal tally should really be higher for the chances created by the team. I think at the moment while Aguero would get more than Jesus because of the chances he creates for himself, the city team would get more with Jesus in the forward role.

Jesus still has a lot of improvement to make, and I think he and Sane are going to be challenging for world player of the year soon. But if you look at the goals and assists by Firmino this year I think he has the edge on both Aguero and Jesus.

I also like the way pep is going to play a weakened team against Man u[ if not well payed on the mind games] – really rubs our nose in it if they still win and easy excuse if they dont win;either way they are still going to win the league by a country mile and deservedly so.

I suspect that depends on how the first match against Liverpool goes, if city can establish a decent lead at Anfield, he may go stronger in the united match, but any other result means having to prioritise.

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

I can’t see Liverpool keeping City from scoring in both games, especially away. It could end up about 8-6 on aggregate as Klopp will have a go – and even if they get a two or three goal lead from the first leg City won’t be out of it. City to go through.

binners

I correctly called the last Liverpool v City game as a 4-3 result. I just had no idea to who.

I think tonight might be a slightly cagier affair, but giving the respective attacks involved i’m going 3-2. Again, I have no idea which way.

I’m away with my folks at the moment, and as my dad is a Liverpool fan I suppose that means i’ll have to support City, just to wind him up 😀

As for Saturday…:. I hate to say it but the Manchester derby is an irrelevant sideshow, as the result will affect absolutely nothing. City are head and shoulders above any other squad, and delaying them winning the premiership by a week tells you everything you need to know about our respective seasons.

Rockape63
    Free Member

OMG, wait until you see Ronaldo’s second goal tonight!  All the Juve fans were applauding….unheard of!

Junkyard
    Free Member

lucky strike by the prancing pony.

Cletus

Awesome result from Real Madrid – Juventus had only lost once in their previous 75 home games.

119 goals in the Champions League is amazing – thank god the rags sold him. At 80 million he was a bargain.

hodgynd
    Free Member

It was an amazing goal ..and fully deserving of the standing ovation it received..

It reminded me of another teams set of fans who also play in Black & White giving a standing ovation to an opposition player as he was substituted mid-way through the second half of a game with his team leading 5-1..

I was there that day and while the result hurt ..this fella was on a different planet..

Gerrard – Newcastle Fans Know What Football Is All About

Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 1,700 total)

The topic ‘Soccerball – 2017/18 jumpers for goalposts megathread’ is closed to new replies.