Home Forums Chat Forum So who WOULD you pay silly money to see live?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 162 total)
  • So who WOULD you pay silly money to see live?
    johndoh
    Free Member

On the back of the Oasis ticket discussion, who would you pay silly money for? It has to be a band that could reform and play now, not ‘back in time’ wishlists.

For me – I’d pay that silly money to see Pink Floyd with both Waters and Gilmour in the line-up. I’d probably just about cope with spending £300 on that.

Dickyboy

Jesus Christ

chakaping

Maybe if Spacemen 3 kissed and made up, I’d like to see them.

I’d still only stretch to £50 or so though, haha.

slowoldman

No-one. I’m seeing Laurie Anderson in November for 15 quid!

intheborders
    Free Member

Me, in 60 years time (when I’d be in the running for the worlds oldest man) :-)

montylikesbeer

Id love too see Woody Guthrie but was born 20 years too late.

As for paying silly money, even if I had it I wouldnt.

willard

Off the top of my head, no one really.

w00dster

I’d pay silly money to see Dire Straits, or  Mark Knopfler.

I watch live music an awful lot and did try to get Oasis tickets. Even at £150 I thought it was over priced but kind of expected these days.

I’m going to a small gig on Saturday to watch The Montagues, local North Wales band, very good. £9 a ticket.

jeffl

I fancied watching the Prodigy a few years back as a mate was looking at getting tickets. But it was just too much.

Anyone who I REALLY like I’ve seen live already, and anyone old enough to reform would probably be piss poor. Closest is probably REM, but I’d rather save the cash and keep good memories.

Edit: Would much rather go to smaller gigs at smaller venues who are really struggling, than giving my cash to the likes of Ticketmaster and massive venues.

desperatebicycle

Nobody. I prefer to see new bands. I did pay £35 to see clipping. last year, that was about my limit.

How about The Jam? Nope, saw them in their prime. Fab gig and the memories of that are so much better than trying to drag up the past.

Paying some old hasbeens going through the motions on stage for a massive singalong isn’t my idea of money well-spent.

scotroutes

I simply couldn’t justify spending £300 to see anyone, regardless of their history, status or novelty value.

feed

Talking Heads doing Stop Making Sense tour but silly money would top out at €100.

soundninjauk

I’d pay good money to see Queen live, but with Freddie Mercury & John Deacon included.

grahamt1980

Queen, and the prodigy again

the-muffin-man

Biffy Clyro at Rock City.

Sod the big venues – I’d pay good money to see big artists in small venues.

The bigger the venue the worse the experience IMO.

zilog6128

No-one. This madness needs to stop – justifying/normalising £300+ tickets is just stupid, and only encourages it!

finbar
    Free Member

My dad was at the Isle of White festival in 1970 but was drunk in his tent instead of watching Hendrix, so I’d pay through the nose to see Jimmy to taunt him :D

binners

I have a mate who works at the Arena in Manchester and they were telling me the other day the prices of the VIP packages, which they sell out of regularly. It’s absolutely insane!

There are people out there who will pay literally thousands of pounds to see what I consider the most mediocre and meh of bands. But it’s their money and if that’s what they’re into…

finishthat
    Free Member

Yeah Joe,Jimmy,and Janice triple bill

johndoh
    Free Member

Queen and The Prodigy don’t count (unless you would pay silly money to see them without Freddie and Keith respectively).

simondbarnes

Nobody. I’d much rather pay £5-£15 seeing small local bands in small venues. I did go crazy and paid £30 to see J Mascis earlier this year though :-)

5lab
    Free Member

justifying/normalising £300+ tickets is just stupid

in some ways its a lot of money, but in others its not. £300 is probably what an uplifted biking weekend costs, once tickets, couple of nights in a bnb and food etc are considered.

I get a lot of pleasure from a weekend away biking, but its easy to see that someone might get more pleasure from watching their all time favourite band play a gig. The majority of Oasis fans are going to be in their mid-to-late 40s so a lot of them will have a bunch of cash.

I don’t know how you set the value for something like a gig ticket (I’ve never paid over £100 for a gig) but I can see it being fairly easy to justify the money for an event that could be the highlight of your year

anono

I reckon I’d pay £1000 to see ac/dc, but only with bon scott, which i guess  is unlikely to happen.

desperatebicycle

£300 is probably what an uplifted biking weekend costs, once tickets, couple of nights in a bnb and food etc are considered

And that’s a fair comparison with a few hours watching a band?? I go to a lot of gigs and I go on days uplifted mtbing. They sure ain’t the same!

ads678

I paid £70 or £80 ish for the Arctic Monkeys (as the kids wanted to go) and Foo Fighters but I don’t think I’d pay any more than that for anyone, whos members are all still alive anyway…

citizenlee
    Free Member

No one now, but if I could go back in time I’d like to see quite a few artists in their prime at small venues.

Of the top of my head and in no particular order…

Beastie Boys
    Fugazi
    Nirvana
    Hole
    Alice in Chains
    Mischief Brew
    Siouxsie and the Banshees
    Talking Heads

fooman

Before they were mega famous my Dad got tickets to see The Beatles but my Mum wouldn’t go because they sounded like insects.

dovebiker

Regret not seeing the Talking Heads and Prince so would hypothetically pay good money to see them on the basis it would never happen!

tops5
    Free Member

The Smiths – not that it’s possible now :(

geomickb

As silly as it sounds. I’m gutted that I never got to see The Cranberries :-(

wait4me

+1 The Smiths. Do wonder after the madness of the Oasis debacle if Johnny’s position is softening a little!

surfer
    Free Member

Miles Davis

John Martyn (again)

Steely Dan

Harry Chapin

BoardinBob

Stevie Ray Vaughan is my pick

I’ve seen pretty much every big classic rock act from the 60s and 70s on their later tours if they were still on the go. Some were fantastic, some were abysmal (I’m looking at you Clapton)

leffeboy

Joe Cocker

tops5
    Free Member

+1 The Smiths. Do wonder after the madness of the Oasis debacle if Johnny’s position is softening a little!

Na Morrissey is claiming that it was on the cards recently but Johnny flatly refused

5lab
    Free Member

And that’s a fair comparison with a few hours watching a band?? I go to a lot of gigs and I go on days uplifted mtbing. They sure ain’t the same!

I guess it depends on whether the price of something should be anchored to the cost of producing it or the enjoyment\value gained from it? If the former, the tickets should clearly be a tenner each, as you can see some local band for that?

BillMC

I saw Talking Heads at Manchester University for a couple of quid, seems about right. I wouldn’t pay silly money to see anyone preferring CDs and avoiding crowds.

chambord

Radiohead playing somewhere like Hyde park

Not £300 though

MoreCashThanDash

I can’t justify spending more than £100 for a particular band. Partly because a lot of the folk who go to such events are there for the event and not because they are huge fans of the artist(s).

chambord

Or Simon and Garfunkel playing central park

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 162 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.