Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • So, who elses bike has frozen up?
  • dans160
    Free Member

Mine bloody well has! Chain, front and rear mechs, shifters, pedals and the bottom bracket is stiff! That'll teach me not to clean the mud off of it after the weekends ride. And it wasn't even that much.

Poo!

_tom_
    Free Member

Nope, my car windows are frozen shut though!

dans160
    Free Member

Yeah, mine did that this morning. The locks joined them.

andrewh
    Free Member

I did check the freezing point of Magura brake fluid… -30C if anyone is interested. DOT4/5 is -40C.

No probs so far, but rigid singlespeed with no stans so not much to go wrong. Thaw it out when I get home though.

uplink
    Free Member

No, I've looked
    It's still all warm & cozy in the workshop 🙂

dmiller
    Free Member

I have given up cycling to work until the weather improves.

I checked the commuter yesterday morning, scotoiler frozen, freehub frozen, gear and brake cables frozen and couldn't get clipped in as the pedals were full of ice.

To be honest none of the roads near me have seen any grit since before Christmas anyway so cycling would be daft until it melts.

I *really* miss my cycle to work to clear my head.

Reluctant
    Free Member

Mine's ok, except my XT brakes behaving strangely. Lost a bit of lever stroke and just feel wooden. Can that be the freezy weather do ya think?

uplink
    Free Member

Do what I do
    Buy yourself some of these & have fun running on the ice

jamesfifield

I'm giving the bike a rest at the moment, instead I've dusted off the Nike id waffles and am using those. It's brilliant fun: with 5mm XC studs you can rail anything (just stay away from bare tarmac obviously).
    The only issue I've had is the lacing freezing up and my "having to" wear them inside until they thawed out, after leaving snow all over the carpet 😆

dmiller
    Free Member

You know I was thinking of starting to jog anyway to shift some belly…

jonb
    Free Member

My deore brakes seem to behave funny as well. Like someone's topped up the oil. Suspension feels a bit funny as well, rebound has slowed.

Singlespeed so drivechain is fine.

Still commuting in(on slicks) as the roads are mostly clear, drivechain (singlespeed) will need replacing come the thaw as the amount of salt on the roads is killing it. I'm a bit worried about the rest of the bike as well but it's only a hack.

el_creedo
    Free Member

My front mech won't budge unless I kick it, I think a tiny amount of water is in the cable outers which is frozzed.

I blame Rideon for making brake cable sets that only give you enough outer to get to your rear mech on a modern full susser, therefore leaving my front shifting at the hands of some appalling shimano kerap.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

el_creedo – Member

My front mech won't budge unless I kick it, I think a tiny amount of water is in the cable outers which is frozzed.

I blame Rideon for making brake cable sets that only give you enough outer to get to your rear mech on a modern full susser, therefore leaving my front shifting at the hands of some appalling shimano kerap

There's ya problem

chakaping
    Free Member

X9 rear mechs seem particularly unhappy in cold weather.

We had three people's jockey wheels freeze on one ride when it was snowy down here before Xmas.

Whos_Daddy
    Free Member

well my 591 cycle carriers won't open!!

TheFopster
    Free Member

Front mech needs a kick to change down. Forks feel very wooden and solid – air spring OK but damping gone mad. Tyres feel rock hard even though pressure OK (Dr Sludge puncture gunk has frozen solid). Apart from that – all good…

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

Rear mech froze up on my commute in the snow this morning – which considering I commute from Plymouth to Saltash and we barely ever get snow was actually quite exciting 🙂

matthewlhome
    Free Member

My XT brakes seem to go weird when it is very cold. Just as described above, loss of lever throw and wooden feel. they go alright when the bike has been in the garage for a bit. The SLXs on my other bike did something similar the other week, but i think that was snow getting in the caliper and freezing up around one of the pistons!

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

did the other day whilst out in the snow, heard of a few people say there mechs had frozen but didnt take any notice 🙂 ….ended up being stuck in 3rd ring on 3rd to top gear all the ride, was quite painful but the extra hard work got rid of some extra xmas/new year beer/food! typically about 5 mins before i arrived back the bloody thing decided to de-ice!!! note to self in snow dont change gear!!

StirlingCrispin

Pah!
    I've happily ridden a bike when it's -18C and although the coldest I've ridden in this winter is only -9C I've not had any problems yet (stuck front mechs don't count).

A drop or two of isopropyl alcohol in the Scottoiler, Hope hubs, XT brakes, full-length gear outers and away you go….

phiiiiil

The bike has been fine so far but my shed-dwelling track pump was frozen yesterday – I'd forgotten how slow mini pumps are in comparison!

matt_outandabout

Aye, mine gave up after a couple of miles….so no cycling into work this week.

mtbfix

Mech and brakes (Vs) all froze in the snows before xmas. Rear gear has never worked since then but just fitted a new cable and all is well with the world again.

churcherian
    Free Member

Took mine into kitchen last night for winter thaw….thanks wife 😀 Gears and disc brakes now released, although all my oil has frozen in the garage so no lubing up…..

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

i haven't rode in about 3 weeks because of this weather 🙁 it put me off when i was out about 3 weeks ago and my rear mech froze and it got stuck in 3rd gear and my pedals were to slippy to even get any grip because it was so cold, so im going to wait until it clears up loll had to basically roll home from the tops and i couldn't drink because my water had frozen also ;p

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

my bearings smashed on me!! i think its because of the cold!!

squeekybrakes
    Free Member

Yesterday the freehub froze and stopped engaging on the SS so I switched to the FS. This morning the front mech on that froze. I'm sure the pistons on the disc brakes are not retreating like they should also…

scruff
    Free Member

My lock had to be thawed out with boiling water, put it on radiator to get rid of the water, worked fine today.
    SS commuter freewheel sluggish and brakes very noisy.

FS seems fine apart from Shimnao brakes which feel all weird.

HT – Pikes are all semi frozen, shimano brakes all weird, mechs are stopping shifting.

I guess most problems are caused by water getting into grease/cables/pivots.

Thing is, we here in the UK seem to just want to carry on riding in cold weather as we did before. I know people in proper cold places commute and still ride n’ that but they don’t expect to just continue riding as we do, do they ???

dans160
    Free Member

All was well again with tonights ride and it looks like we made it back just before the snow arrived. I did have to chisel the front mech free but everything else had thawed.

pinches
    Free Member

i got mine out of the garage this morning to pack it in the car, gears didn't shift up (or down front mech) pro2 hub silent, thought it had miraculously packed up thinking "this is going to cost me" turned it upside down, spun cranks a bit, eventually changed up a gear, freehub started working again!

binners

Front mech siezed solid. Better than my Magura freehub though which used to freeze then randomly spin. Great fun if you enjoy knee/handlebar/sem interfaces. OW!

ooOOoo
    Free Member

To be honest none of the roads near me have seen any grit since before Christmas anyway so cycling would be daft until it melts.

Being STW, haven't you got a mountain bike?!

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘So, who elses bike has frozen up?’ is closed to new replies.