Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • "So, what sort of music do you like?"
  • kiwijohn

It’s what Triple J used to be, before it started turned to shit.
    I saw the Pixies in 07, never thought I would see them in Hobart.

franki
    Free Member

Never heard of Triple J either… 😳

Nico
    Free Member

Shirley the answer is to simply think of the name of some semi-pro obscure pop group that never quite troubled the charts, and say that. They had that Yello on the radio the other day. Radio 4, mind.

Me, I like anything by Vaughn Williams.

stever
    Free Member

We’re all magpies these days aren’t we?
    I fondly remember the days when you could get beaten up for having the wrong haircut. Where you had to identify what tribe you were and therefore what you weren’t.

kiwijohn

Never heard of Triple J either…

It’s an Australian thing. Slightly less mainstream than the commercial stations. Slightly.

cheese@4p

Some but not all..
    Psychedelic Music, Old Blues, Old Soul, 70’s Punk, Post Punk, Garage Rock, Reggae, Ska and Dub. Folk, Avant Garde stuff, Seriously Heavy Metal, Hip Hop, Classic Pop, etc, etc.
    I don’t like much… Country Music, Overproduced Modern Pop Music, Classical Music.
    Each to their own. My main problem is finding time to listen and appreciate all the music I might be into what with 6 Music, The Quietus, Spotify et al enabling me to find and access so much. In a way the less music I have the more I love what I have.

Nico
    Free Member

Anything apart from R&B.

Dismissing a whole genre of music is odd. I even tried to like some jazz after the recent thread. It’s only a certain type of jazz that I can’t stand.
    Plenty of RnB I don’t like, but there’s some that I love.

Dismissing two whole genres of music, surely.

franki
    Free Member

Just remembered, I’d add Tame Impala to my list of likes.

franki
    Free Member

I don’t listen to radio stations much – internet or otherwise unless forced to at work. I don’t like having to sit through music I don’t like to get to something I might.
    I’m a bit of a music hoarder, so I listen to samples on social media and music distribution sites and buy the albums I like from what I hear.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

it’s also easier to suggest some DJs I listen to that sum up my music tastes : Gilles Peterson, Benji B, Friction.

Also http://mi-soul.com/ has come on line sounding a bit like an old pirate but with some big names from the past, like Greg Edwards, Patrick Forge, Dr Bob Jones

franki
    Free Member

DJ sets are a good way of finding new tunes. I’ve bought loads of artist albums after hearing their tunes played in DJ mixes.

unklehomered
    Free Member

At some god awful training course we had to do that introduce yourselves thing. 3 bits of info one of which was a desert island disc.

I chose John Grant.

No-one had heard of him and it became a thing that wouldn’t end for about 15 minutes, and at the lunch break.

Lesson learned.

Next time say Coldplay, it doesn’t matter, these people aren’t really getting to know you. A week later you won’t even remember their names.

DezB
    Free Member

Dismissing two whole genres of music, surely.

Yeah. Except you miss the post where I actually do 🙄

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Tibetan nose flute music.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Friction.

He only produces Friday night bangers, no less than 180bpm. That’s the sort of music I like 😉

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRP28fYcdiY[/video]

onewheelgood

How did they manage to hijack the name R&B? It used to mean Rhythm & Blues, and would include The Who, Rolling Stones, Dr Feelgood, The Inmates and other excellent bands. Then suddenly I find that, like a few people above, it now refers to a genre I’m quite happy to exclude from my otherwise varied musical diet.

andeh

He only produces Friday night bangers, no less than 180bpm. That’s the sort of music I like

Earlier, when I said anything except grime, I’m adding this to that list. I want to say….drum and bass? No thanks, sounds like the Cool Boarders 2 soundtrack.

Edit: that said, its only Thursday, maybe I should try again tomorrow 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye, I like music.

donks
    Free Member

There’s R&B then there’s new R&B which I flipping detest. I’m talking about r kelly or drake or any of those totally generic over produced (usually by timberland) artists that all use the same song writer and pretty much all sound the same. This stuff seems to be all that the kids are listening to (especially the youngsters at work) just because it’s back ground clubby/bar music and doesn’t really say anything except how hot the girl they fancy is… Blahh blahh.
    I’d wager that no one on here likes or would sit and listen to this vocodered sampled shite. The guys in the gym at work seem to love it too and moan like mad if I get in there first and put something alternative on.
    So in answer to the op’s question I’d say most stuff is ok just not this radio 1 day time play list crap.

andeh

Even this absolute banger, docks? 😀

[video]http://youtu.be/y6y_4_b6RS8[/video]

fongsaiyuk
    Free Member

I’d wager that no one on here likes or would sit and listen to this vocodered sampled shite

guess you lose your money then

Even this absolute banger, docks?

in my collection – but I guess I’ve been( like everyone ) influenced by the people and music I’ve been dragged up with

gauss1777
    Free Member

^ I take it that’s a genuine song/track and not a ‘not the nine o’clock news’ style piss take? I can’t tell for certain.

chewkw
    Free Member

ABBA
    Bee Gees
    Carpenters
    Blondie …. I am struggling to recall everything after them …

Oh ya … some folks songs/musics but I don’t know the title.

scaredypants

yaaaay, chewy’s back !

chewkw
    Free Member

scaredypants – Member

yaaaay, chewy’s back !

I have been discovering things … :mrgreen:

Discovered folks music too!

DezB
    Free Member

I’d wager that no one on here likes or would sit and listen to this vocodered sampled shite

I’ve said before, I like some of it. Listened to a whole album by Jeremih today. Some of it was good, some bad.
    Drake as well, some of his stuff is hideous, that Hotline Bling thing, I couldn’t believe it was the same person when I first heard it.
    Why do “what music do you like” threads turn into “ooh this modern stuff is all rubbish” threads? I dunno. Most of you old bastards are younger than me anyway!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Certainly appears to be a few racists coming out of the closet on this thread…..

slowoldman

Eh?

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah! Racists! 😆

unklehomered
    Free Member

I always quite liked the race.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4QbJRAWvRU[/video]

lapdog
    Free Member

The Dead C …….AMM………Merzbow……Not sure what sort of genre and yes pretentious!

Viewing 31 posts - 81 through 111 (of 111 total)

The topic ‘"So, what sort of music do you like?"’ is closed to new replies.