Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 323 total)
  • So, this Scottish Independence thing Cameron's banging on about…
  • mogrim

yes but you note the elected bit and it still counters the point about Scotland having no influence in EU that it answered…they dont have any now elected govt they did not vote for who has annoyed everyone in europe…mm democracy in action .

Sorry, I’ve got no idea what your last “sentence” is on about.

gusamc
    Free Member

I want to see a 100% complete and accurate list of what will be divvied up and how it will be divided up and what money is going where

e.g. Foreign Embassies and staff, fishing rights, everything the (current )country owns, all future purchases and PFI type deals that cvnt politicians of all parties have made and we are committed to, what happens about existing EU/Commowealth etc agreements and commitments, relocation of ‘Govmt’ institutions based in the ‘countries’ etc etc etc etc.

I’d also like a restriction in place so that once the vote is made there is a 100 year ban on the vote again.

derekrides
    Free Member

slackin101 – Member
    don simon – Member
    I’d say give them independence on the single condition of enforced repatriation.

If you refer to two way repatriation then it’s a deal. Too many Nigel’s up here for my liking…

We think you’re an absolute arse for referring to us as ‘Nigels’ 😉

sadmadalan

Mogrim – see my point abou the fishing negotiations – no representation from scotland,

That’s is because the fishing rights are discussed at an inter governmental level in the EU and Scotland is part of the UK – and the UK was represented.

If Scotland was an Independent nation, there is nothing to say that they would get any more quota than they do at the moment. The North Sea has been hugely over fished by everyone and needs time to recover. Current fishing technology means that fewer people will be involved. Affects other parts of the UK than just Scotland.

duckman

That’s is because the fishing rights are discussed at an inter governmental level in the EU and Scotland is part of the UK – and the UK was represented.

And then traded with Spain for concessions over oil seed rape.Which suited the huge potential (never realised,the EU cut the grant soon after)for production in the south.But not the single biggest source employment in the North East of Scotland.Huge % unemployment created by the stroke of a pen.The fishing is rather a touchy subject,unlikely an independent Scottish government would not protect our interests a lot better than Westminster did.And the territorial waters of an indy Scotland would protect the main fishing areas.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

And the territorial waters of an indy Scotland would protect the main fishing areas.

What with?

Don’t think you’re having any of our boats…

derekrides
    Free Member

Hah there’s a thought, what a job that would be Ambassador to Scotland.

The whole idea is a joke, if it were up to me we’d be considering restoring that Prima Nocte lark and awarding it appropriately to us deserving ‘Nigels.’

binners

Could I just applaud whoever added the ‘ajockalypse now’ tag!

Genius! 😆

duckman

I think you will find that they are ALL of our boats. I would be disappointed if the figure of £60+ billion as our share of the UK’s didn’t include a few pedaloes. 😀

if it were up to me we’d be considering restoring that Prima Nocte lark and awarding it appropriately to us deserving ‘Nigels.’

Didn’t actually ever exist,but carry on Mr Troll.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sadmadalan – thats the point as duckman explains – Scottish interests were not represented in the fishing talks. the UK government did a deal that does not suit Scotland at all.

Hence an independent Scotland would be able to stick up for scottish interests – fishing is one key area where scottish interests have been traded away by a UK government

Northwind

Quick definitive answer on the subject of tuition fees- assuming Scotland independant in the EU, they would no longer be able to charge ROUK students differently from Scottish students- in the same way that currently we’re required to fund non-ROUK students in the same way as we do scottish students.

(if you assume a non-EU Scotland, then freedom to do whatever they want)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Gusamac – there has been a lot of work done on that but its complex. Take faslane for one example. Obviously the nuclear subs could not be removed overnight – so who pays for the bases in the interim? Does the rump UK pay a lease fee? Who pays for the clean up of the sites?

Dunno why this stuff is not on the SNP website as I know there is work beendone on it – I shall email them and ask

grantway
    Free Member

Let them go ahead. has long as they don’t expect us to bail them out afterwards

duckman

Bloody shouldn’t be charging students fees anyway;that’s a disgrace. I can see why the Scottish Uni’s are,They would be flooded with applicants if they didn’t charge.But that needs to go all over the UK,not just up here.

binners

I would have thought it was fairly obvious why it’s not on the SNP’s website uncle Jezza

A) they haven’t got the remotest idea what the **** will happen in the real world!

B) they have. But it’s a very very very long way from the cloud-cuckoo land utopian vision being described by Willy wonka Alex salmond

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I’ll post up the answer I get. It will be interesting

I know there has been much discussion and even public announcements. A lot of stuff would have to be negotiated tho.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I think you will find that they are ALL of our boats.

I think you’ll find that I think you’ll find that they are actually belongeth to Queen Liz, hence ‘Her Majesty’s Royal Navy’.

So; you gain full independence, queen no longer your head of state = you is no have any boats.

It’s quite simple. You don’t have to like it, you just have to accept it.

So, without a navy, how are you going to protect your seas?

miketually
    Free Member

Not read all of that: has anyone asked whether North East England can join Scotland, please?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

elf – I think yo will find that they are the UKs boats so scotland gets 10% of them 🙂

Actually I doubt we will want much of the current fleet given that what Scotland needs is a small number of coastguard / small vessels – An independent Scotland is going to be out of nato and neutral and not going off killing people in far flung lands

Protect out sea from who? copters mainly I would think we would use

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

miketually – Member

Not read all of that: has anyone asked whether North East England can join Scotland, please?

This is an intersting question. I think if you asked nicely and all agreed.

binners

Do you think Alex will be negotiating a fair and equal deal, from a position of strength TJ? Or do you think that the Tory government will have a hissy fit, throw it’s toys out of the pram and tell Scotland to **** right off!

Hmmmmmm. I wonder…….

Northwind

TandemJeremy – Member

Protect our sea from who?

Welsh corsairs.

Spin
    Free Member

So; you gain full independence, queen no longer your head of state.

If Scotland became independant they would probably allow England to keep the queen as their head of state.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I actually doubt a referendum will vote yes.

The Rump UK government will not be in a hugely strong position needing the oil and the electricity they get from Scotland.

If they do have a hissy fit they will lose I suspect.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

elf – I think yo will find that they are the UKs boats so scotland gets 10% of them

No, I think you will find that the Royal Navy has allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, and not to anyone else. Ergo, you’d have no boats.

Why do you think we’d let you have any of our boats?

You carry on with your dream. Never gonna happen. Not while you’ve got anything of any value. Once the oil and gas runs out, then we might cut you loose, as you’ll be nothing but a hindrance to us…

epicsteve
    Free Member

Protect out sea from who? copters mainly I would think we would use

Need boats to fishery protection properly. Not expensive boats though (the one I served on was based on a deep sea trawler design) – not having to pay a share of those aircraft carriers (if they belong to the Queen) would probably free up the necessary funds.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

queen no longer your head of state

Dont think there’s been any statements or decisions on who would be the head of state. We could be independent and keep ol’ Liz, no?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

not be in a hugely strong position needing the oil and the electricity they get from Scotland.

I’m sure we can do a reasonable mutually beneficial oil deal with the Crown Dependency of the Shetland Islands and cut Scotland out of the loop 😉

Spin
    Free Member

Rab C Nesbit for head of state!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

On teh head of state – it would still be our current lot until the people decided they wanted a republic. Duke of Edinburgh after all. So phil the greek and Liz

thats the position stated as I understand it

duckman

I think you’ll find that I think you’ll find that they are actually belongeth to Queen Liz, hence ‘Her Majesty’s Royal Navy’.

So; you gain full independence, queen no longer your head of state = you is no have any boats.

I will type this really quietly little lamb; she is not really anything other than a nominal head of state.Nor is she any more English than Welsh or Scottish,as nominal head of the UK. So run this past me again,what makes England get to keep the British navy when the UK splits up?

And cheeky edit;

You carry on with your dream. Never gonna happen. Not while you’ve got anything of any value. Once the oil and gas runs out, then we might cut you loose, as you’ll be nothing but a hindrance to us…

And there will not be a truer sentence written on this thread.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

phil the greek

Racist!

Rab C Nesbit for head of state!

I thought he was already first minister 😉

Charlie and Craig (The Proclaimers) for Transport minister and U.S Ambassador respectively!

Northwind

Out of curiosity, what would be the recourse if a negotiated settlement couldn’t be reached… UN intervention?

Elfinsafety – Member

Why do you think we’d let you have any of our boats?

Because there is no “we” and “our”. They are a UK asset regardless of who they report to. I’m sure the Ununited Kingdom would be welcome to keep the proportional majority that they paid for, or to keep the entire lot but pay the difference.

You can’t scam a country just by putting all the assets in the wife’s name.

derekrides
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    miketually – Member

This is an intersting question. I think if you asked nicely and all agreed.

I don’t suppose you’d be interested in taking the Northern bit of that other pain in the ass island off Liverpool, get yourself some more Rangers supporters..

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

So run this past me again,what makes England get to keep the British navy when the UK splits up?

What do you mean, ‘when’? 😆

It’s not going to happen! So stop being silly, and accept that you are ruled from London.

You might not like it, but there’s nothing you can do about it. So stop worrying about it and concentrate on building yer trams or whatever, try doing something properly for a change.

Bloody daft you lot…. 😀

MrSmith
    Free Member

Turkeys voting for Christmas, quite frankly. A brief period of childish satisfaction after the initial vote. Sticking two fingers up at ‘the oppressor’ (who’ll actually be quietly gratified to see the back of you). Before you’re grovelling back, cap in hand, when the economy does a Greece with in a few years

this^
    the likelihood of Scottish politicians having a long term plan (and the political stability to implement it) is almost non-existent.
    let them have the oil money (what’s left of it) they will soon be the poor man of europe and just another portugal/greece/iceland.

Spin
    Free Member

I wish the independence mob would STFU.

We’ve got a great deal up here. Lots of devolved powers and all the benefits of union.

Plus the whining Sassenachs have never been so pissed off with us on account of how we’ve got it so good and that’s got to be a good thing.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

the whining Sassenachs

Racist.

thv3
    Free Member

With Cameron trying to force the issue, bearing in mind there is only one elected Tory MP is Scotland, and “The Iron Lady” at the cinema’s, I doubt the vote would go his way.

Then again, the Tories have been trying to tell Scotland what the Scottish want for years, which only makes Salmond’s job easier……maybe he does want rid of us?? 😉

Spin
    Free Member

Racist

Go on compare me to hitler and invoke Godwins Law!

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 323 total)

The topic ‘So, this Scottish Independence thing Cameron's banging on about…’ is closed to new replies.