Viewing 3 posts - 321 through 323 (of 323 total)
  • So, this Scottish Independence thing Cameron's banging on about…
  • wrecker
    Free Member

Has any pro independence scot actually answered if they would be happy for Shetland and Orkney to gain their own independence? (perhaps supportedby UK PLC) What if these places wanted to remain in the UK? Should they be given their own referendum?

On the military installations, there is no way MOD would allow all of their nuclear subs to be based abroad; so that would definitely go to englandshire, closely followed by the air bases.

poly
    Free Member

Has any pro independence scot actually answered if they would be happy for Shetland and Orkney to gain their own independence? (perhaps supportedby UK PLC) What if these places wanted to remain in the UK? Should they be given their own referendum?

I don’t know if I necessarily qualify, as I am not necessarily “pro” however I don’t think many “pro Independence Scots” would have a fundamental objection to self determination by Shetland or Orkney if they chose to do so. Outside this forum I don’t think I’ve ever heard such a suggestion made which probably implies its not a sentiment that is popular on those Islands. They are reasonably safe “Lib Dem” constituencies, but SNP have done not too badly in them for the last few years, and the Tories have not fared well which suggests to me, that views are more aligned with Holyrood than Westminster. However if your question is really if we didn’t have the ecconomic value of those islands would the people of Scotland still be interested in discussing independence I think the answer is yes.

You do raise an interesting question though. If any single constituency voted NO but the nation voted YES would that locality be compelled to fall in line with the Scottish decision? Some of the borders constituencies are much more Unionist/Tory in their voting habits – could the border be redrawn? Could Glentress become English?

On the military installations, there is no way MOD would allow all of their nuclear subs to be based abroad; so that would definitely go to englandshire, closely followed by the air bases.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting otherwise – indeed the strong antinuclear lobby in Scotland would argue that is a bonus. FYI there is only one air base left; presumably Scotland would have some sort of military airbase of its own and so actually it would not need to close – eitherway the closure (or not). I’d certainly say that closing of military bases is something that actually worries ordinary people in Scotland outside the immediate confines of the facilities. There is no long term certainty of any of the facilities under the status quo anyway.

wrecker
    Free Member

They are reasonably safe “Lib Dem” constituencies, but SNP have done not too badly in them for the last few years, and the Tories have not fared well which suggests to me, that views are more aligned with Holyrood than Westminster.

You raise some very good points poly, but I’m not sure how the Lib dems are closer to holyrood than westminster.

Scotland would have some sort of military airbase of its own and so actually it would not need to close

I would love to see Mr Salmonds plans for the scottish military. It don’t come cheap!

Viewing 3 posts - 321 through 323 (of 323 total)

The topic ‘So, this Scottish Independence thing Cameron's banging on about…’ is closed to new replies.