• This topic has 94 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by DezB.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)
  • So, this La La Land fillum…
  • mrmoofo

BTW, I hated Whiplash … 😆
    Prentious **** ….

andeh

Saw it a few weeks ago and was surprised there wasn’t a thread on it.

Both me and wife thought it was just OK. It started well, with a big song/dance number, but then just meandered along. Neither of the 2 leads could sing, or dance, and every time they tried to they would fumble through 2 or 3 steps and then give up.

Ryan’s character is pretty unlikeable throughout the whole film. There’s lots of good jazz, but they keep talking over it.

It was reasonably entertaining, but after about an hour I got properly bored.

The acid test: if it were on ITV4 on a rainy Sunday afternoon, would I watch it?
    Probably not.

DezB
    Free Member

There’s lots of good jazz

My sneering face wasn’t even aware of this.

chiefgrooveguru

You’re a girlie, right?

A couple of months ago I had a hugely enjoyable time taking my three year old to a Frozen singalong showing.

I love music. I find it amusing that so many grown men act as though they’re one of the shop staff in High Fidelity – and few of them have ever learnt how to play an instrument, like really play so they can say something with it, or written any music themselves.

RustyNissanPrairie

Watched Eagle Huntress at Home in Manchester instead. I win.

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

I thought it was very good, and so did my partner and two of our sprigs, boys aged 15 & 17, in fact the 15 year old wants to see it again

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I thought it was great fun. Yaaa yaaa it’s unrealistic*, but then so are most films? Are you Vin Diesel or Lupita Nyong’o…? Is life Technicolour?

They can’t sing great, they can’t dance great etc etc – dunno seems reasonable to me. They do it well enough to entertain, and they do it well enough to make it a fun part of the story – mucking around on the hill looking for their cars. Pure symbolism 🙂 Could it be escapism? I hear this from a lot of people who think the critical approach to films is a pretentious, and yet in many cases they’re on the other side now!

It’s a story, a story that moves in a way that is both time-honoured and also somewhat inventive. There aren’t many truly original stories left, so it’s not really in the minority there.

Seems to me, as with so many films, that it’s those that bring something into the cinema that tend to have the most anti reaction. I don’t usually like musicals, but I really really enjoyed it. I had to leave my prejudices behind, and it worked a treat….. just went with it.

Main gripe: WTF Focus Puller?! Certainly not up to the usual standards in film. Could be deliberate, but I was watching The Graduate the other day, with several long zoom shots. Much shake, but when they went for a focal transition they nailed it.

Overall – it worked for me. Very much.

*well, at least for almost everyone that’s going to see it.

DezB
    Free Member

and few of them have ever learnt how to play an instrument, like really play so they can say something with it, or written any music themselves.

Rather like the vast majority of music journalists eh?
    So relevant.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

On a related note, the BAFTAS awarded LaLaLand and others, including that Afleck misery “Manchester…” but there was absolutely nothing for “Arrival”, something which IMHO is a total disgrace.

milleboy
    Free Member

Yaaa yaaa it’s unrealistic*

Can anyone name one realistic musical? Sort of goes with the territory.

rone

Main gripe: WTF Focus Puller?! Certainly not up to the usual standards in film

There’s a lot of this these days. Much easier to see on a digital print then the average film projection.

Lots of reasons. Sometimes it will be the best take, sometimes it’s artistic and sometimes it’s just plain tricky.

Drac

Arrival”, something which IMHO is a total disgrace.

I agree it was.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Arrival”, something which IMHO is a total disgrace.

I agree it was.[/quote]

Wat. You hated Arrival?

andeh

There was one excellent, self-aware moment in the film which I thought was funny, but kind of smug.

Right after Emma’s character finishes her one woman show to Ryan and she says something along the lines of:
    “What if it’s too nostalgic and nobody comes to see it?”
    “**** ’em”

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Thought I was the only one in the country not to like Luvvie Luvvie land ,referencing films it was not on the same page as and couldn’t even decide which era it was nostalgic about ,tosh .And arrival as others have said -just watch close encounters and pretend

Drac

Wat. You hated Arrival?

You enjoyed it? 😯

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Enormously. And judging by the way you wrote back to me, I think there’s no point going further in to why.

chiefgrooveguru

Rather like the vast majority of music journalists eh?

Exactly. Much easier to be a critic than a creator.

Drac

Enormously. And judging by the way you wrote back to me, I think there’s no point going further in to why.

I concur.

ctk
    Free Member

Me and the other half watched it. She thought it was terrible, I thought it was bad but I’m sure some will like it.

However I cannot for the life of me see how it is a 5 star film.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Maybe people just want escapist nonsense in the scary times we live in ?

4130s0ul
    Free Member

If you want a decent musical and escapism to enjoy in these scary times may I suggest you all watch The happiness of the Katakuris

oh and a major +1 for going to see Lion

Northwind

milleboy – Member

Cats

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

That looks like a Japanese version of the sound of music !crime elevy mountain tirr you find your dleam !

mahalo

saw it a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. i haven’t really indulged in any of the backlash nonsense (that pretty much any film with a degree of critical success gets) but i can imagine what theyre saying. loved the soundtrack and was skipping down the street as i left the pictures!

jimjam
    Free Member

Happiness of the Katakuris is the best musical ever made. It’s also the best zombie vampire comedy musical family soap opera ever made. Miike Takashi really does produce gold every so often.

Lifer
    Free Member

Surprised my lady with it, she loved it I enjoyed it. The ending saved it for me.

She’s oscars mad so we’re working our way through the nominees, I can see why La La Land is winning so much everything else so far is so bloody miserable and serious.

In terms of comparisons it’s better than Titanic (which got the same amount of nominations I believe)

DezB
    Free Member

i haven’t really indulged in any of the backlash nonsense (that pretty much any film with a degree of critical success gets) but i can imagine what theyre saying.

I have no idea what they’re saying. I read one review in a mag which actually used the words “heroically funny” (whatever that means). Apart from that just saw the trailer when I saw T2 (not Terminator, you berk) and have seen the poster. That’s what I based my nonsense on and now I know it has “jazz” in it I’ll never be persuaded otherwise. 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

In terms of comparisons it’s better than Titanic

the epitome of damning with faint praise right there 🙂

Northwind

Ah come on, Titanic’s awesome. As long as you remember that the first half of the film is just there to show off all the locations that you’re going to see destroyed later. Everything in the plot happens to move the camera around.

ourmaninthenorth

Saw it a few weeks ago with Mrs North.

As parents of a small child who have to rely on family help for childcare all week, it was the second cinema trip that didn’t involve a cartoon in six years.

We liked it, largely because it’s a simple love story, I love that era of jazz, and the sun shone in LA while we were in cold London.

Sometimes I don’t need a film to be complex, serious, or brilliant. Sometimes being left uplifted is enough.

teethgrinder

milleboy – Member

Team America: World Police

mahalo

I have no idea what they’re saying. I read one review in a mag which actually used the words “heroically funny” (whatever that means). Apart from that just saw the trailer when I saw T2 (not Terminator, you berk) and have seen the poster. That’s what I based my nonsense on and now I know it has “jazz” in it I’ll never be persuaded otherwise.

well you didnt like The Lego Movie so theres **** no hope.

binners

The fact of the matter is that any fillum where people spontaneously burst into song and dance is bound to be utter rubbish.

For gods sake will someone not think of the children exploding helicopters!!! 😀

Drac

Sometimes I don’t need a film to be complex, serious, or brilliant. Sometimes being left uplifted is enough.

Can’t argue with that. That’s all its about if you enjoy it or not.

rone

Well it’s been one of the best and varied starts to the year as I long as I can remember.

Silence , Lion, LaLa, T2 and tonight Gibson Ridge.

All great in my book. With T2 and Silence being outstanding.

Arrival is fantastic in my book. Villeneuve is a great Director and lots of clever misdirection.

mefty
    Free Member

The fact of the matter is that any fillum where people spontaneously burst into song and dance is bound to be utter rubbish.

Singin’ in the Rain is a masterpiece.

rone

Singin’ in the Rain is a masterpiece

As is A Clockwork Orange. 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

well you didnt like The Lego Movie so theres **** no hope.

This is true. But I just can’t find any redeeming features in the Lego Movies. They don’t even have a nice lady to admire. Or Gorgeous Ryan dancin for that matter. Just an hour and a half of “WAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” (that noise with a strobe in your face)

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

milleboy – Member

South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut

Who could forget!
    Blame Canada,
    Kyles Mom
    and so many more…

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘So, this La La Land fillum…’ is closed to new replies.