Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 149 total)
  • So, the Kona Process looks like it's going… WTF comes in next though.
  • weeksy

It has a wobbly and creaky rear so i’ve jujst bought a wheel from CRC for it, i’ll then rebuild and re-bearing the standard one.

Then, we’ll see, i can expect to send forks and shock off over winter to be serviced though.

maxtorque

Nowt wrong with that Meta for UK riding! If it were mine, i might upgrade the fork a bit, which would give it a bit more big hit attitude but keep the general feel of the thing unchanged 😉

weeksy

Must admit i’ve never experienced the ‘issues’ that some seem to have with the Float CTD, they’ve always worked well and felt great to me. Although there is money in the budget should i wish to upgrade 🙂 I paid what i feel was a cracking price for the Meta, so all good there.

Northwind

I think it depends which one, I had one of the first gen CTDs and it was rubbish, divey and spongy. Designed to feel good in the shop and to make sure that mincers could feel they were getting good value because they used all the travel riding over a stick. But it wasn’t the hardware I think, just the spec

weeksy

describes me pretty well then 😉

Pz_Steve

In the tradition of recommending what I’ve got, have a look at the Banshee Prime (currently on sale at Bike Tart (don’t know how to embed the URL, due to ampersands)). Flip chips give you 3 options for angles, and it’s an awesome bike.

If you’re anywhere near West Cornwall, you’re more than welcome to try mine…

maxtorque

Northwind
    I think it depends which one, I had one of the first gen CTDs and it was rubbish, divey and spongy. Designed to feel good in the shop and to make sure that mincers could feel they were getting good value because they used all the travel riding over a stick. But it wasn’t the hardware I think, just the spec

A good fork should be able to be set up to suit the rider! I sometimes run my 180mm lyrik all soft and wobbly, for when i just want a nice soft ride, and i know i’m not going to be hucking 9ft to flat stuff. And then again, when i am going to be smashing through 10″ boulder fields at warp 9, i set it up to be firm and supportive. With a good fork, both options should be available. This is where something like a Pike or later Fox(36etc) with the ability to install volume spacers etc makes a world of difference. And these days, these modern forks don’t bring a massive weight penalty with them either!

weeksy

yeah but they’re hard on the wallet !

weeksy

Well, in a twist of circumstance and decision making, i ended up not buying the MetaAM29. There were 2 things that stopped me really.

1. I’d had it 18 months when i sold it to a mate, he’s then had it 18 months, so it’s going to need a servicing of shock/forks, along with it also needing a rear wheel, whilst it’s a great price, it’s then £300 more than that…

2. Bottle cage mounts… i’d forgotten that one of if not the MAJOR issue with the bike when i sold it was the fact it had no bottle cage mounts… I like a nice gentle ride at times, out in the sun, i don’t wanna be carting around a Camelback every ride… it may sound silly but it’s a problem.

So now i’m right back where we started the thread almost… Except this time i have no Kona, but instead i have a pile of cash for purchasing.

The ‘shortlist’ doesn’t really exist as i’m very up in the air.

But the current list is as follows
    Specialized Stumpjumper 650B
    Specialized Camber 29
    Canyon Spectral 5.0
    GT Sensor expert
    Niner RIP 9

I also had a lovely Trek Remedy on Evans i REALLY like/liked, but i feel the 18.5 is too small, especially with a weird Trek thing which seems to actually make it 17.5

Then a couple of used bikes
    a Spectral from here and a Stumpy expert Evo also from here.

sl80
    Free Member

The stumpy has bottle mounts 😉

A side entry Specialized cage will take a 750ml bottle just.

weeksy

I know mate… but you’ve not sold it to me yet and i’m getting VERY itchy fingers today and i forsee in the next 2 hours me clicking on something.

Just found this which appeals 🙂

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/product/73747/Whyte_T130_SX_650b_2015_Bike

Kryton57

Not sure id be so keen on that Suntour fork…

Kryton57
    weeksy

It’s certainly in the right ball park… if a little vague on the advert.

I’ll email him though.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2065154/

That’s another Stumpy from an STWer but we’re waiting to see if someone else is buying it first.

This is a rather nice Spectral too
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/canyon-spectral-ex

Bregante

I’d snap that stumpy up of Rentons if I was in the market for a full susser.

boobs

Hi Steve, Go and try a Bird, you can get a new one for 1800, The Aeris is great at Swinley and very forgiving. I haven’t even got one (yet)

What have you got to lose on a free demo?

weeksy

I sat on one and rode one around the car park at Swinley a month or two back. It was very much along the same lines as the Kona i’ve just got rid of and along the very same reasons.
    Whilst the Aeris may be a great machine, it’s not really a ‘day to day’ bike in this part of the world. Not something you can jump on and pedal away for 2-3 hours down fairly non-technical stuff.

rOcKeTdOg

no bottle cage mounts…

you can get band on bottle cage mounts for pennies

weeksy

I looked and looked for something like that…. you may just be making a fool out of me if you find one quickly now 🙂

That said, as above, it’s not the ‘only’ reason i’m moving away from it.. There’s the associated cost to service the forks/shock, then any bearings needed and it needs a rear wheel. All of that takes it almost to the price of say the Whyte T-130 brand new.

renton
    Free Member

Ach I knkw my ad is a bit vague but I’m in the middle of moving so have no internet and trying to do everything from my phone !!

weeksy

Wow… that really is quite a simple and inexpensive solution for it… I did look on ebay/www but obviously my Googling skils were not quite up to scratch.

Bregante

Those band on bottle mounts work fine. I’ve had one on my cx for 12 months.

Problem sorted for £7!

weeksy

WEll… after a load of blah blah i sat thought, debated and decided, changed my mind 300 times…

I spent hours and hours checking various geometries on this, specs on that, this, that, this that… again again… then do i want this, do i want that..

I then clicked the button and went for it.

Northwind

Quick everyone, tell him he’s made a terrible mistake!

khani
    Free Member

Noooo!!!!! you’ve made a terrible mistake!!!
    🙂

weeksy

Maybe fella maybe…

But i’ve clicked it, paid and the mistake is now being boxed up and wingning it’s way to me…

dumbbot
    Free Member

Puppies, kitties and baby owls will surely die because of your error of judgement.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

at first glance I thought you bought a Yeti…..

weeksy

tuskaloosa – Member

at first glance I thought you bought a Yeti…..

I almost did… .on Thurs… lol.

I can’t list the ‘almost’ bikes i nearly clicked in the last 4-5 days.

rOcKeTdOg

weeksy – Member
    I looked and looked for something like that…. you may just be making a fool out of me if you find one quickly now

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.SKS-Anywhere-Bottle-Cage-Adapter-Inc-Topcage_94945.htm

rOcKeTdOg

i’ve got a brand new medium 2015 t-130 sat next to me you could have had for less than £1600

like this

NormalMan

^ I’m so pleased you sad medium and not large 😯 😆

weeksy

So am I lol. Although i’m pretty sure the £1400 i paid is less than £1600 😉

rOcKeTdOg

So am I lol. Although i’m pretty sure the £1400 i paid is less than £1600

they’d have to pay me to ride a bike the colour of yours though! 😉

weeksy

LOL i mostly bought it because of the colour, not in spite of it !

I like it…

lawman91

The Suntour Fork on that is actually pretty good, not quite a Yari but not far off and better than a revelation IMO. I’d be more worried about he X-Fusion post, they’re certainly not the best and reliability is patchy. I’d get another brand on there soonish but other wise it looks pretty sorted out of the box. Another T130 owner here, had a 2017 Carbon RS for a month or so now and absolutely loving it, it’s very playful and fun bike to ride, I’m sure you’ll love it.

weeksy

Thanks 🙂

I will… eventually…. Gave them a call to ask what the usual turn-around on bikes is… “oooooh about 10 days”…

eeek !

As we’ve established, patience is not my strong point..

v666ern
    Free Member

anyone want to call dibs on how long this will last 😆

Are you sure your not renton/hora/could be me 😳

weeksy

v666ern – Member

anyone want to call dibs on how long this will last

Are you sure your not renton/hora/could be me

Well i had the spearfish in 2 incarnations for 4 years, the Charge Cooker for just under 2.

The Kona was the wrong bike, plain and simple as that… I don’t understand the confusion or the idea that i would keep a bike i clearly didn’t get on with.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 149 total)

The topic ‘So, the Kona Process looks like it's going… WTF comes in next though.’ is closed to new replies.