Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • So tell me about garage shelving…
  • captainscrumpy
    Free Member

Trying to clear enough space in the garage to get a car inside. Are Clarke shelves the best option or are there any alternatives?

cranberry
    Free Member

I’ve found Clarke stuff good and fairly priced – get the shelving that’ll take 250kg per shelf.

footflaps

DIY? I wanted everything in boxes with lids to keep dust etc out:

Storage Rack 16x 35l boxes by brf, on Flickr

djglover
    Free Member

I have Ikea Gorm all down one wall.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

IKEA IVAR here – weight limit 45kg per shelf.

Stoner
    Free Member

http://www.bigdug.co.uk/shelving-c2/garage-shelving-c1248

big dug stuff is inexpensive, although Id recommend adding a few extra bolts between units and maybe screwed to the wall for extra stiffness.

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

Aiming to replace the existing shelving with something deeper.
    I don’t collect paint – it’s just hard to throw it away…

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/clarke-cs5500rp-quick-assembly-boltless-rackin

molgrips
    Free Member

I used to have the Ikea garage stuff, but I realised if I put one high shelf along the length of the garage I could get almost all the same stuff on it as I had on the four or so units of Ikea, but all at head height leaving me way more floor space.

The shelf had to be pretty well engineered DIY though, I’ll post a pic tomorrow if you like.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Bigdug.Co.uk. Just go there. They have all you need.

petefromearth

Definitely recommend using Bito

At our bakery we’ve tried various brands of racking and they have been the sturdiest for the money. When I finally get a garage/workshop this is what I’ll be getting.

bigdug do some decent stuff but avoid the really cheap stuff.

cranberry
    Free Member
    samuri
    Free Member

This looks like great value.
    http://www.bigdug.co.uk/shelving-c2/garage-shelving-c1248/small-business-shelving-starter-kits-pp1401

I think that’s what I’ll be going for.

porter_jamie

decent shelving costs silly amounts of money. i made some out of 20mm box section steel and 8’x2′ floor boards (18mm) and they are great – i stored motorbike engines and all sorts on them and they are rock solid.

househusband

I bought some Clarke shelving; next-door neighbour bought some BigDug shelving at the same time… I put mine up and he took one look at his and then bought some Clarke shelving too.

Legoman
    Free Member

I bought a load of those bigdug shelf kits for my garage.
    They do the job but I found all the MDF shelves they give you have warped and, more annoyingly, developed a thick growth of mould which covers everything on the shelf below.

My garage isn’t particularly damp & I’ve got plenty of other MDF stuff out there which has never gone mouldy.

I’ve had to empty them all to remove & paint all the shelves. Which was a job I could have lived without.

Madfly
    Free Member

Dexion speedlock racking is superb. Went through a couple of other cheaper ones before i bought a load for peanuts on ebay (took a while to find i’ll admit!)

I have the 500mm deep sections, they do hold a decent weight. I have truthfully around 200kg on each shelf without being unstable or overly flexy, they don’t need bolting to the wall either.

lodious
    Free Member

Costco has some nice stuff, which is pretty reasonably priced.

McHamish
    Free Member

When I finally get my workshop I’m considering using ‘French cleat’ shelving.

Look it up…essentially it gives you a flexible shelving solution.

I plan on using it on every wall and then building custom shelving units to hang on it as I see fit.

grilla
    Free Member

+1 for Clarke shelving from MachineMart.

Anything that is 100% hammer assembly is clearly awesome.

DezB
    Free Member

French cleat:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szad36MmvQQ[/video]

4:30 – bike hanging solution? 🙂

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

Got the 450Kg per shelf clarke shelving from machine mart. I don’t have anything that heavy but that size had the largest shelving area.
    It looks really good and I’m tempted to get another one.

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

Ikea.

Buy brackets

Buy shelf planks

done

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I say “BIG”, you say “DOUG”… “BIG!”…

Cheap, strong, orange and “Park Blue”. Winner winner chicken dinner.

I like the way the guy in the French cleat video turns the words “45 degree bevel” into one word with just one slightly lumpy syllable… Like what Elvis used to do with “Thank you very much”.

AlexSimon

Some interesting stuff on here.
    I like footflaps custom built ones (because I like timber), but I think I might like to shortcut the process for a change 🙂

Merlinman

Bike Room by Robin Fisk, on Flickr

Big Dug – just right for my needs!

£100 ish – delivered next day

Just half of my bikes pictured 🙂

Not shown – Maverick ML-7, Kona Explosif, Velos Fougere road bike, Specialized Tricross SS and Genesis Vapour. All ridden !

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Liking that French cleat system, the guy seems interesting enough to warrant catching some more of his videos.

AlexSimon

More french cleat – including colour-coordinated tools 🙂

More photos here:
    http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=121476

AlexSimon

Dragging this back up.
    The clarke ones and a few of the bigdug ones at 300mm deep might be a good fit for my shed, but I’m struggling to find usefully-sized storage boxes for them (most are much deeper).

Any ideas?

JEngledow
    Free Member

molgrips, please can we have a pic of your single shelf – I’m intrigued as to how you’ve done it?

towzer

if you have a Costco near you pop in and have a look – vartious options

TooTall
    Free Member

The best place in the UK I ever found for plastic boxes was:

http://www.solentplastics.co.uk/

Nice to do business with and they get some great boxes that are a good bit more industrial than anything you’ll find in your local DIY store. I’ve hauled stuff all over the world in boxes from Solent and no, I have no connection with the business other than a happy punter!
    If they don’t have what you need, you are being too niche for your plastic box desires.

AlexSimon

If they don’t have what you need, you are being too niche

It’s amazing how often that happens isn’t it 😉

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘So tell me about garage shelving…’ is closed to new replies.