Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • So sorry – my first and last. What tires for clay?
  • makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Just been for a blast on some new, very clay’y trails and my Maxiss Advantages (2.25″) which I’ve grown to love on sandstone type mud were rubbish. They became 2.5″ slicks within a minute or two and, well, my knees, shins, elbows and balls all hurt after several almost-amusing offs.

What tires for very clingy mud?

Thanks

edit: Oh, going on a carbon HT. I couldn’t go much bigger at all than the Advantages already on there.

wwaswas

Bonty Mud X seem to be about the best I’ve found for claggy mud and clay.

Clobber
    Free Member

beaver, dirty dan. mud-x, storm control

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

thanks. ordered some mud-x.

Mike

Mister-P
    Free Member

Why has tires seemingly replaced tyres on STW of late?

mrmo
    Free Member

if the mud is sticky and has bits of grass in it, give up go home, there is no tyre that can really cope. If it is just clay mud, try and avoid any leaves/twiggs/grass that may be near and the narrow Mud X may have a chance.

adsh
    Free Member

if the mud is sticky and has bits of grass in it, give up go home, there is no tyre that can really cope. If it is just clay mud, try and avoid any leaves/twiggs/grass that may be near and the narrow Mud X may have a chance.

Panaracer Trailraker country. No mud tyre so good (or so slow!)

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

sticky mud with grass in… sure that’s not doo poo?

JImmAwelon
    Free Member

Solution for me 12 years ago was to move to Snowdonia, your choice Maxxis tyre works here fine all year. Prior to the move from biking in Kent/Sussex (Weald and London clays)through the winter I was getting by with 1.8″ Panaracer Spikes. Not so sure that tyre exists anymore or what is similar but I’d say thin with a tapered spike. So it slices through the clay(thin) but grips (spike) when it bites but clears (tapered spike). When the inevitabe happens and some organic matter with substance meshes in and it gets clarted up then the tyre will make it through your frame/fork (thin again). If the spike is too spikey you trim it down with carpenters pincers or wire cutters like the DH boys do ot wear it out on a tarmac training commute. All IMHO of course and based on 12yo experience.

mrmo
    Free Member

sticky mud with grass in… sure that’s not doo poo?

Spend a winter riding in the cotswolds and it all wil become clear!

monkeyp

Geax barro mud – insane tyres, narrow, massive knobs, huge spacing so clear well and dirt cheap. Just avoid riding on anything remotely loose or hard as they are terrifying! A real condition specific tyre.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘So sorry – my first and last. What tires for clay?’ is closed to new replies.