• This topic has 58 replies, 41 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by igm.
Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)
  • So I've just spent £900 on our 1st dishwasher. Am I mad?*
  • somafunk

[/quote] So I’ve just spent £900 on our 1st dishwasher. Am I mad?*

No not at all – we are most grateful to hear of your recent acquisition , the great and knowledgeable of stw bestow upon you their combined admiration and felicitation for such a purchase and bequeath upon you honour and acceptance into the stw fold, you brought “ISE” to the masses with a sly proclamation of the exorbitant costs involved and accompanying manufactural ethical mission statement.

Congratulations…. You have achieved acceptance to level 1 stw @nk

stumpy01

Hilarious. £900 on a dishwasher.

Kevevs
    Free Member

lol somafunk. Spot on. ;D

sparkyrhino

just bought an estate car for that money,£1 for a plastic bowl for sink £1 for aldi anti bac washing liquid,eeeh gods

m1kea
    Free Member

somafunk

No not at all – we are most grateful to hear of your recent acquisition , the great and knowledgeable of stw bestow upon you their combined admiration and felicitation for such a purchase and bequeath upon you honour and acceptance into the stw fold, you brought “ISE” to the masses with a sly proclamation of the exorbitant costs involved and accompanying manufactural ethical mission statement.

Congratulations…. You have achieved acceptance to level 1 stw @nk

Lol 😆 (we definitely need a thumbs up smiley BTW)

Yes that’s a sh!t load of money, but hey, it’s mine to waste so hey ho.

But I’m glad I’ve created a topic of some interest and amusement to others :-), though two pages of replies on a Friday night is very very sad is it not :wink:?

piemonster

Currently in the market for a washing machine and bumbled across this website

http://www.washerhelp.co.uk/buying-advice-1.html

I suspect the same is true regards dishwashers, and it’s on the internet therefore true! FACT.

For example, Hoover used to sell a 1200 spin 4.5Kg washing machine at over £400 in the 1990s, yet you can now (2008) buy a Hoover 1600 spin 6Kg washing machine for £211. That’s inflation in reverse and it’s achieved in large part by reducing quality and repair-ability.

In 1973, a basic Hoover washing machine was £94.88, in today’s prices that’s £687 ( Source Inflation calculator ). Today – over 30 years later a similarly basic model but with faster spins and a bigger drum can be bought for £220. That’s equivalent to just £30.77 in 1973. So in 30 years, the price of a basic washing machine has dropped (in real terms) by nearly 70% which is absolutely staggering.

A 70% reduction in cost 30 years later is impossible without reducing the quality and longevity of the product. If you want to produce a washing machine made as well as the Hoover was in 1973 it would cost much more like £500+ and with extra features and technical advances it could easily be £700+.

Like I said FACTS

mudshark
    Free Member

£900? Won’t someone please think of the opportunity cost…?!

Well I decided the Hotpoint I bought for £330 3 years ago was a good bet. Very quiet and looks quite nice too really.

joat

For those advocating warm water and washing up liquid, do you take your laundry and a washboard down to the river still? If you use a dishwasher properly they can be just as efficient and a lot more hygienic. Siemans here by the way, not put a jet wrong in five years.

joat

DP

leffeboy

Like I said FACTS

But only some of them. People are now getting 10yrs out of their 200 quid machine but no-one was getting 3times the life out of a machine that cost 3times as much. Lifetime per pound IS going up even if you think the quality is going down. Take for example the controllers that used to be incredible pieces of mechanics with a million little switches on a clockwork mechanism. They must have been horrible to construct but now you jut replace them with a microcontroller that costs a fraction of the price to make and does a much better job. Sometimes stuff can be cheaper and just as good (from someone who loves his on-one frame)

joat

I remember the Radio Rentals man coming around frequently to mend the CRT telly. They were too expensive for my parents to buy. Modern technology makes things cheeper and more reliable, who mends tvs nowadays? I’m with leffeboy on this.

m1kea
    Free Member

Obviously I have no point of reference atm but numerous people and t’interweb have said dishwashers are much more water efficient than hand washing.

We’re now on a water meter and whilst this wasn’t much of a factor in this toy purchase, I’m curious if anyone has any experience on water savings?

leonardsmalls
    Free Member

For £900 you could buy an ex-dem professional machine with 2 minute cycle and at least 10 years of life! We’ve just bought one for our village hall.
    As for Bosch etc, from what I understand many white goods are made by the same manufacturer (frinstance Gorenje make Bosch fridges) and re-badged or have slightly different controls.
    And our AEG (sale, £199) still works beautifully after 5 years…

patriotpro
    Free Member

though two pages of replies on a Friday night is very very sad is it not :wink:?

Coming from someone who drops £900 on a dishwasher. It just gets better and better.

Would love to know how the dishwasher performs btw. 😉

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Next you need an expensive iron:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJasU7uaFkU[/video]

2 speed fan under table to suck clothes down or float them above table, 50psi ‘dry’ steam’, streams when iron moved in forward direction, stops on return, refillable during use, etc.

yours for £1200:

http://www.laurastar.com/en/e-shop/

recommended…

m1kea
    Free Member

Wait, I’ve found something even more expensive

V-ZUG Adora SL anyone? 😯

lasty
    Free Member

As a repairer of white goods, Miele are pretty damn good…
    However when it does go wrong prepare to pay through the nose. ISE are good basic machines and i seem to remember somthing along the lines of a 10 year warranty ..
    Bosch have slipped recently but still make a decent enough dishwasher and thats what i bought although the flow meter packed in recently – a tenner for me to sort it out but probably £100 to most.
    Hotpoint/Indestit ?? The older stuff is much better as Hotpoint were recently taken over by Indesit and instead of Indesit raising their game up to Hotpoint they dragged Hotpoint down to their level so not good really …
    If i was taling a punt now as joe public i`d opt for a cheapish bosch or Zanussi and take out 5 years cover for a ton or so ….

jools182
    Free Member

I got a bosch one for £50 from ebay

faultless

igm

The thing about Bosch is that even though they seem disturbingly predictable and reliable (10 years from tumbler, washing machine and dishwasher – fridge still going strong at 10.5 years) both parts and diagrams are normally easy to source so fixing it yourself is an option for £10 not £100 until they do completely flake out (washing machine needed a new motor which was 2/3 of the cost of new machine, the dish washer was just eroded through use on the water routes to the point we were considering lobbing it and then the pump died).

They paid their dues.

Viewing 19 posts - 41 through 59 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘So I've just spent £900 on our 1st dishwasher. Am I mad?*’ is closed to new replies.