Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • So, is this a crack to the carbon or the lacquer?
  • Wozza
    Free Member

This is the top of the seat tube on my 2009ish Trek Fuel Ex OCLV frame. I’m hoping this is just where it’s flexed a bit and the lacquer has split. Any experts in that can tell me either way? It doesn’t seem to be getting any bigger and it doesn’t make sense that it’s in the vertical axis rather than horizontal.

(The black marks are there for me to keep an eye on it.)

Cheers

TheSwede
    Free Member

epo-aholic
    Free Member

laquer(sic?) 🙂

phew!

Wozza
    Free Member

I’ll rephrase the question… Should I be worried about this?

specialknees
    Free Member

No problem there.
    Just a few fibres running the same way moving a bit. If it was around the tube in a radial way I would be worried.

skywalker
    Free Member

Take it to a Trek dealer if you are concerned about it and you are the original owner, you never know you might get a new one!

tazzymtb

it’s just the string n glue moving a bit, it’ll be reet

Wozza
    Free Member

If it was around the tube in a radial way I would be worried.

This is what I thought.

tumnurkoz
    Free Member

Skywalker +1, Take to a dealer (Trek one!) and get him to contact trek to be sure. I assume it’s in warranty as it is a 2009?

project
    Free Member

try a gentle probe with something small eg a pin or needle to see if you can penetrate the tube, if tou can its a crack.

Or in a dark room, shine a torch down the tube.

Wozza
    Free Member

It’s out of the classifieds mate

5AM
    Free Member

If it was mine I’d get a carbon collar fitted around the tube to cover and strengthen it. That way you could be sure it’s never going to get worse, and the weight gain if done properly should be about the same as a packet of crisps.

compositepro
    Free Member

It looks like its sat on the line where the mould halves close when they mold it,easy repair either way

Wozza
    Free Member

If it was mine I’d get a carbon collar fitted around the tube to cover and strengthen it. That way you could be sure it’s never going to get worse, and the weight gain if done properly should be about the same as a packet of crisps.

It looks like its sat on the line where the mould halves close when they mold the lug,easy repair either way

Any recommendations where I could get this done?

andrewh
    Free Member

If it does turn out to be worse than it looks you can try Trek’s warranty.
    Mate had an old STP, about 9yrs old, which broke. Had a lifetime warranty so took it back to his dealer.
    “Hmmm. That’s buggered. We haven’t done those for years, can’t get you another one of those.” Pause. “Would you accept a 9.8 hardtail as a replacement?”
    “How far up your arm should I bite?”
    Top service from Trek/LBS.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Ive seen heaps of carbon frames develop splits (or delams?)like this. They have all been replaced under warranty.I would guess because they felt that the construction of the frame had failed. I would agree with them too.

Someone correct me if i am wrong but is this the two halves of a monocoque construction delaminating?

epo-aholic
    Free Member

I’ll rephrase the question… Should I be worried about this?

i’ll rephrase my answer…..no

martinxyz
    Free Member

If a frame moves so much that it causes the paint or lacquer to crack in the same areas over and over then i would want an explanation.

gixer.john
    Free Member

My mate has a replacement frame being delivered to his LBS, lacquer started peeling around the shock anchor point. LBS took photo’s and sent them to Trek, no questions asked, just offerd a new frame and paying for the LBS to do the frame swap and replace any components which are not compatible with the new frame. result.

khani
    Free Member

If you have no warranty and you want to get it repaired try these
    HQ Fibre Products
    Tel: 01603 713972
    Vale Farm Workshop, Blofield Rd, Lingwood, Norwich, Norfolk NR13 4AJ
    I had a Scott scale repaired by them and the service was good.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘So, is this a crack to the carbon or the lacquer?’ is closed to new replies.