Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Snowdon – Anyone been up this weekend?
  • toftm

Just looking for some first hand weather info. Weekend away with the bikes next weekend in Wales & it’s on the todo list (Snow dependant)

highclimber
    Free Member

there is still a bit of snow around, most of it slushy and slippy and definately not rideable. it is certainly walkable but I would probably take at least an axe just in case it freezes again or be prepared to turn back if I couldn’t progress.

toftm

Sounds like anything bar a weeks freak heatwave may lead to plan b, antur stiniog, shame 😀

Onzadog
    Free Member

Let me know what you find. We’re up there the weekend after you. The wife still hasn’t done Snowdon. Something always gets in the way. Looks like it might again!

highclimber
    Free Member

If I walk up to the top of my lane I can see Snowdon so I can keep you posted for the week ahead. I might even take a run up to halfway at some point too so i’ll post what it’s like.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers highclimber.

toftm

Cheers highclimber, not holding my breath but it would be nice to get up once over the weekend

aa
    Free Member

highclimber, i’d be REALLY grateful for updates. I have a self guided charity walk over tryfan, the glyders to penypass snowdon, cown the watkins and down to beddgelert, with some mountain novices. Have done a low level walk from capel curig to dolwyddelan, over to llyn gwynant and down to beddgelert. Just in case.
    Steve

highclimber
    Free Member

I have a self guided charity walk over tryfan, the glyders to penypass snowdon, cown the watkins and down to beddgelert, with some mountain novices

That’s a VERY long walk for novices! I was camping in the Moelwyns last night and it was very warm, extremely windy but completely devoid of any snow below 450m.

aa
    Free Member

I’m a bit worried……two of them have marathon experience and can run me into the ground over an hour. But, our training sessions have left them battered. I have get out plans (as you would). I’m gonna be pack mule for ’em to make it as light as possible for them.

highclimber
    Free Member

How’s their navigation skills? finding the miners path off the glyders can be difficult in poor vis. When are you doing this? If you need an extra pair of hands I might be able to offer myself – any excuse to get out!

chakaping
    Free Member

plan b, antur stiniog,

I think it’s fully booked next weekend so you might need a plan C.

brooess
    Free Member

I’m a bit worried.

Listen to your instincts – they sound good… if you weren’t worried you’d be showing poor judgement IMO.
    That route is 2/3 of the Welsh 3000’s which is a serious proposition for experienced people (I’m told most people fail on their first attempt)

Tryfan doesn’t have a walking path like Snowdon – so the nav and the going underfoot are challenging for a novice, let alone with everything else to follow.

I would seriously consider a shorter route – if your training sessions (good idea) have left them battered then that’s probably given you some insight into their hill fitness. I’m a runner as well as hill walker and the fitness – both physical and mental – are quite different. Being good runners does not mean they’ll do well on the hill.

I would do something shorter, see how they enjoy it and build up to the longer route over time. Beasting them for their first big trip in the mountains may well put them off for life…

toftm

plan b, antur stiniog,
    I think it’s fully booked next weekend so you might need a plan C.

I have legs 😀

aa
    Free Member

saturday the 20th. Looking at a 8.30 am start. I have told them that if there’s still snow on any part of the route we’ll call it off and walk at lower altitude. My boss would kill me if i didn’t come back with all of them. Staying at st curigs friday and saturday so will be out for a few pints prob both night.

You’re more than welcome to join us (unless you’re some kind of ‘the hills have eyes’ type for any of the distance. Email is in profile.

Steve

highclimber
    Free Member

I was walking below Crib Goch and around Pen Y Pass today. there not much snow left in great quantity but some larger patches higher up that were mostly broken where once it was plastered. it was favourably warm but quite windy making it feel a lot colder.

Steve, I have emailed you re. this weekend coming. .

toftm

Thanks for that. Fingers are well & truly crossed!

highclimber
    Free Member

Snowdon (ranger path) today:

looking over to Tryfan/Glyder Fach:

toftm

So it’s thawed out ever so slightly then? I am now excited for the weekend. Thankyou very much indeed

brooess
    Free Member

That’s gone quick! The whole place was plastered at Easter

Onzadog
    Free Member

Great news. Thanks guys.

highclimber
    Free Member

yeah, it’s been 2 weeks since the snow fell and it’s been in the low 10s for the last few days and there was a massive downpour last week.

Kevevs
    Free Member

cheers highclimber, up rangers path (walking) on fri…

toftm

You’ll be fine this weekend mate, we went up Saturday and it was grand! 😀

Wales Weekend

Onzadog
    Free Member

Cheers. We’re riding it this Friday weather permitting.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Snowdon – Anyone been up this weekend?’ is closed to new replies.