Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)
  • Snow Day – WTF?
  • richmtb

Mandating winter tyres would go a long way to avoiding a lot of this crap

wwaswas

Mandating winter tyres

I live in Brighton.

We’ve had 1 frost so far this year and the last time we had snow that lasted more than 20 minutes on the ground was 2011.

But I’d have to use tyres that are inappropriate for the conditions I drive in, wear quicker and cause more pollution so people don’t, quite reasonably imo, have to stay home on the first day of a weather event that causes travel to be difficult.

*all* countries have travel chaos on the first day of a significant snow fall regardless of tyre choice.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Wwasaswas – You might want to do a little research on how winter tyres actually work.

wwaswas

I know how they work.

I don’t understand why they should be mandatory living somewhere that rarely experiences temperatures in single digits, let alone negative.

Drac

I don’t understand why they should be mandatory living somewhere that rarely experiences temperatures in single digits, let alone negative.

Has Brighton moved to the med?

And yes it’s a silly idea to make them mandatory.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Mandating winter tyres would go a long way to avoiding a lot of this crap

I don’t think it would. I know they help with grip but what they don’t do is stop the person behind the wheel being a complete moron 😆

Let’s face it the roads are full of them these days and give them winter tyres and they’ll probably think their car is now a polar expedition vehicle that will go anywhere 😉

wwaswas

Has Brighton moved to the med?

looks at sleet falling. Not yet 🙁

It’s not often cold enough that every single motorists spending £800 (or whatever) on specific wheels and tyres for winter would make any sort of environmental or economic sense though.

jonnyboi

according to the temperature figures I’ve just googled, that statement of yours is a bit bollocks.

wwaswas

Posting bollocks is what stw is all about 😉

http://www.holiday-weather.com/brighton/averages/

day time temperatures were what I was mainly talking about though.

Or possibly sea temperatures.

Dickyboy

Dad was giving it a bit of the driving god bollocks last night after I’d left the car and got the train over yesterday – I’m not sure how I managed to refrain from reminding him how he had totalled one of his cars in a flood a few years back

nealglover
    Free Member

living somewhere that rarely experiences temperatures in single digits, let alone negative.

Then to justify statement, posts a link to show that the Ave Temp for Six Months of the year are in single digits.

😆

Classic STW. :mrgreen:

molgrips
    Free Member

Worst thing about snow?

The **** moaning. If you’re not moaning about not having it, you’re moaning about having it; moaning about not being able to get to work moaning about other people moaning about not being able to get to work; moaning about being able to get to work; moaning about people TALKING about wether or not they can get to work; moaning about people being happy about it; moaning about people being sad about it; moaning about people trying to get to work; moaning about people not trying to get to work; moaning about people who can’t drive in it; moaning about people who buy tyres to help them drive in it..

JUST SHUT THE **** UP AND STOP **** MOANING!

oikeith

It’s British to moan about the weather…

Snowdays are great, my work shut the office in 2010 as people couldnt get in, I managed to drive my 1 litre petrol Ford Fiesta from Exeter to and around Dartmoor all day and then drive back. Unfortunately I then wrote my car off on ice just round the corner from my home at the end of the day!

I think its a mixture of Health and Safety and the lack of skill of driving on snow/ice whether its percieved or not… same happens when it rains hard and the roads flood.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

^ should probably go in the ‘grips top 10 posts’ lists.

Anyway.

Isn’t a ‘snow day’ one where you get started on the nose candy a bit earlier than is usually acceptable?

Drac

I agree “Come on snow you bastard!”

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

On the radio this morning the Met Office were giving ‘Yellow snow’ warnings across much of the country.

That is snow taking the piss!

jam-bo

Snow in Europe triggers transport chaos

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42310933

Now I thought those Europeans dealt with snow without any issues…

markgraylish
    Free Member

That’s fine assuming you never drive out of the vicinity of Brighton, but most people use cars to, you know, travel. So what happens when you Brighton folk drive somewhere interesting (ie oop north) on what seems like a nice day and then get “caught out” by bad weather?
    So yeah, making it mandatory should be a regional (or even a road specific) requirement with VERY HEFTY fines/bans (and maybe insurance invalidation) for those without winter tyres in the wrong places at the wrong times.

Viewing 18 posts - 41 through 58 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Snow Day – WTF?’ is closed to new replies.