Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Snorkelling (for food)
  • Conor
    Free Member

Always wanted to dive for food (crabs, lobsters, clams etc)

I'll be spending a week on the west coast (Ireland- Clare, Galway, Achil Island etc)) on a surfing trip in September. In anticipation of flat seas, I'm going to do some snorkelling… and hopefully catch some dinner. mmmm… free Atlantic sea food… mmmmm!

Anybody do this? Any tips? Where is a good place to buy gear (fins/snorkel etc) on a budget? I've seen a crab bag that looks interesting.

I'm not considering a harpoon at this stage 🙂

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Don't you have a Waitrose nearby?

Poor thing…

j_me
    Free Member

Was out there last year.
    Plenty of razor clams out there, various methods to catch them, see YouTube.
    Cracking lobsters too, but I just went and bought them off the local fisherman, maybe not quite the hunter gathering experience you're looking for but a lot cheaper and fresher than Waitrose.

MrNutt
    Free Member

I can see the headlines now!

"Tourist killed by giant mother lobster"

j_me
    Free Member

Best way to catch lobster/crab is to put down a pot. Allegedly baiting it with a punctured tin of tuna is best as that means the first crab.lobster in doesn't scoff all your bait. Have tried it but I've never caught anything worth eating.

mafiafish
    Free Member

A big hook is great to have to fish out edible crabs and lobsters which can obviously give you a nasty pinch. a net bag is also good for stuffing them in. I have a friend at uni who eats lobster/ crab many times a week for free and sees some amazing wildlife whist doing it.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tjashton

The lobster's last moments vid gives you an idea what your putting the poor crustacean through though! Enjoy!

Edit: all the underwater videos seem to have gone.

http://flickriver.com/photos/nativemarine/

Conor
    Free Member

Some class photos there. Think I'll get a waterproof camera! I live beside the sea (dirty Irish sea though) but love the "proper" coast out west. My auntie says they catch lobsters and crabs using a bucket and brush!

knottie8
    Free Member

get yourself a speargun and shoot fish.

Conor
    Free Member

I'm more likely to shoot myself, knottie.

knottie8
    Free Member

LOL , I shat myself once when I speared a conger ! And a mate once speared his own flipper to the sea bed .

johnfb
    Free Member

Yep, I'd be very wary of spear fishing. I used to do some science diving and they made me totally paranoid, especially in a swell. At least with a firearm you don't often get sand and salt in your safety catch 😯

If you're any good at breath holding I'd find a sandy bay 2-5m deep and look for scallops. Clean duck dive to the bottom, equalise your ears on the way down (you'll need a proper mask), minimum movements and look horizontally along the sand rather than from the top down. Get some gloves, wetsuit and a bag, fins helpful but not essential.

knottie8
    Free Member

safer than a speargun is a spear or a long sharp screw driver. Very good for flat fish who dont swim off untill your right over them.

johnfb
    Free Member

If you open a plastic bag in front of a flattie and poke its tail it'll swim right in

Hohum
    Free Member

knottie8 – Member
    LOL , I shat myself once when I speared a conger ! And a mate once speared his own flipper to the sea bed .

Doh!

Bunnyhop

Conor-that sounds great. Fresh sea food and then dressed and eaten the same day, yum.

As a child I remember my Grandpa taking us out to Deganwy, on the Conwy river and picking up quite big crabs, rushing home and dressing them ready for tea. It makes my mouth water.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Snorkelling (for food)’ is closed to new replies.