• This topic has 53 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Dai.
Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Snorkelling advice
  • slugwash
    Free Member

But if we are posting pictures of turtles here’s a recent one of mine

Oooh! Can anyone join in?

Loggerhead Turtle (No Longer Drawing Breath) – Corfu by Slugwash, on Flickr

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Those yellow stingrays are cool – looks like it should be pancake day!

Dai
    Free Member

Hey Smudger, I’m off to Corfu for a week very soon and would really appreciate a heads up on some good snorkelling locations if you could. We’re hiring a car but will be based up north near Acharavi.

Good tip on the ear wash too, will look that up.cheers.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Turtle says Hi! :

the ear wash is probably expensive for what it is – it smells just like isopropyl alcohol – I think the advantage is that it rinses the ears easily – other things might work as well.

Amazon link:

teasel
    Free Member

Uncanny resemblance.

General Dempsey…

An Elephant Stonefish…

Smudger666

Dai – see earlier comments – I’m probably the last person to be giving snorkelling tips, but as the week just past has turned me into a snorkelling guru, here’s what I’ve done……….

Edit – I’m based in San stefanos in the NW corner so that’s the beach shown below. Boat hire available for the beach but can be booked in advance.

From the beach – google earth showed some rocks just offshore so I just set off from the beach. Depth 3-7 m where I’ve been, 7or 8 as yet unidentified species, very interesting for me as a novice. The beach off achavari shows similar formations so you should have some (IMO) good snorkelling from the beach. Visibility excellent once past the breakers.

From a boat – we hired a boat for the day – 85 euros plus fuel (another 30 but I took a detour) and went to diablos, just off the NW corner of corfu. Anchored between the islands and swam all day – crystal clear water, depth anything from 2-10m – same species, just bigger. We did see an octopus the size of a dinner plate, as well as an unidentified ‘eel, type thing that legged it as soon as I got close.

Smudger666

Dai, whoops, was looking at the beach off Agnos – not achavari but its oly a few miles.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

DOn’t touch and move the rocks… leave the sea as it should be left alone! Snorkel but don’t touch!

Smudger666

Munge – serious question – why not – it’s not coral, just sandstone boulders with a covering of sand. No ‘live’ reef to damage or poisonous crap to hurt me? There’s very little living on the boulders and the fish peck away at all sides.

wallop

Is Menorca any good for snorkelling? Or should I really be insisting we go to Greece for our holiday.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Octopus 🙂

beaker2135

Nice one TurnerGuy I can’t compete with that but I took this In Shark Aquarium

Davesport

I do a fair bit of snorkelling on holiday 🙂 Especially on the west coast of Scotland. I bought one of these Aquascooter last year & it’s been great for getting to more remote snorkelling holes & seeing more in general. It pulls three people no problem & runs all day on one tank of fuel. The only problem I’ve got is trying to pry it from the hands of my lad 🙂

D.

Dai
    Free Member

Thanks for the info Smudger. Boat hire out to the islands sounds like a good call.

Not long to wait now 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Snorkelling advice’ is closed to new replies.