Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Snapped fork steerer – anyone ever seen this happen?
  • chief9000
    Free Member

That’s real interesting.

Is your post a “just out of interest post”? or are you looking to determine the reason for failure for a warranty challenge?

I would be interested to know how old the forks are. If you have a good macro lens a close up of the fracture surfaces would be very useful to provide some clues as to the reason of the failure. when things like this happen, its always tempting to put the two pieces back together to see how they fit, however this can destroy some of the “evidence” which tells the tale of the failure.

ahwiles
    Free Member

Snapped fork steerer – anyone ever seen this happen?

once.

messiah – Member

Star fangled nut damage inside the aluminium steerer?

was the culprit – either that or just a total coincidence that the crack lined up with the star-nut.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Is your post a “just out of interest post”?

It was; I don’t know the person who owns the bike, I am just connected to his mate who posted the picture through another friend.

chief9000
    Free Member

Nevertheless, your post has stimulated some discussion and also brought to light similar problems which others have had. Would be interesting to know just how many steerers are failing like this.

ahwiles has mentioned that that his star fangled nut was the culprit in his case. Sounds highly likely. Overtightening of these can put an indent into the inside of the steerer, this can serve as a crack initiation point and lead to this type of failure.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

dday, the fork manufacturer said these need to be serviced annually, its the steerer tube ffs, what exactly do you service on a steerer tube. My belief is that the steerer simply failed. Its worth a check of the steerer every now and then IMO.

I could post the picture of my face but people will have just had lunch.

nellyp
    Free Member

Big George wondering how he’s gonna tell Lance about breaking on of his bikes…

patriotpro
    Free Member

Too many pies ❓

Northwind

ti_pin_man, you’ve been Paced by any chance?

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

northwind – – and the prize goes to … your good self

ndthornton
    Free Member

Sigh – looks like we all need 1’5 steerers now – where’s my credit card….

messiah
    Free Member

Some of us never gave up on the 1.5″ steerer… the industry will come back round to it in a while 😉

Tracey

2005 Enduro Elite came with 145mm Nixons fitted

firestarter
    Free Member

I’ve a set of forks with the steerer quite scored all the way round it , I was a bit concerned but it seems ok touch wood , its pretty thick steel but this makes me think 🙁

stimpy
    Free Member

It’s definitely a sticker.

kevj
    Free Member

This happened to me with a set if manitou skarebs. I pulled a little jump over a log in Chopwell carpark while waiting for the rest of the lads to arrive and the steerer snapped. I bailed off (as you would). As I stood up very perplexed about what had just happened, one lad said he thought I was practicing falling off. Spoilt my ride that did.

toys19
    Free Member

If you have a good macro lens a close up of the fracture surfaces would be very useful to provide some clues as to the reason of the failure

Probably won’t be powerful enough to tell you anything useful, other than a possible initiation site, although people often identify the intiation site pretty much as far away from where it really was. We normally look at fracture surfaces with an optical microscope and then an SEM to find potential microstructural flaws that might lead to a failure.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Did he buy it from uk bike store?

toys19
    Free Member

nah, if he had, he wouldn’t have been riding it last weekend to snap it, as it would not have arrived yet.

zippykona

What should we be torquing our steerer bolts up to then?
    I always do it as tight as possible. Never understood why steerers and stems aren’t splined.

toys19
    Free Member

I’m not sure that it is established in fact that “overtightened” stem bolts or steerer bolts have caused this, so if I were you I would carry on using the manufacturers recommended settings.

MrOvershoot

ti_pin_man – Member

you were lucky. My alu steerer tube snapped 10mm up from the fork crown within the headtube, I have a false tooth and about 48 stitches because of this, about 25 inside my mouth and the rest on my face. Plus a hatred of a certain fork manufacturer.
    He looked like this

His forks looked like this

Even his Oakley’s were from the new blood lens range

bigjim

I’m finding a safer hobby.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Thanks mr overshoot for dragging up my old scars. I haven’t seen that picture for a while and it nearly put me off me dinner…

Bigjim – I’m still riding, gotta be done, cycling is just part of who I am, I guess we’re all the same otherwise we’d be on knittingtrackworld right now! Lol.

Rorschach
    Free Member

To be fair Joe ,you looked better after the accident tbf 😉

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Seriously dudes.. I’m surprised none of you have got what caused it..!

It’s caused by bimetallic corrosion of the inside of the steerer due to intimate contact with the star nut.

The star nut scrapes the anodising away when it’s bashed in, and gets a fair amount of spray up from the wheel in winter, with lots of yummy salt. The steerer has eroded away from the inside. It’s the same with those pace forks. Look at how rusty that crown race seat is.

It’s best to take the top cap off occasionally and squirt some spray grease round there, or better still, never use a star nut in the first place on an aluminium steerer. Hope head doctors rule.

Go now and take your top cap off and have a look… You’ll be appalled at the state inside!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Well said Ti Pin Man. Myself I’m two clavicles, four vertebrae, one humerus, one wrist and multiple soft tissue injuries into my cycling odyssey.

XXX
    Free Member

It aluminium, the more you use it the weaker it gets and they look like old forks. Headset, starnut, spacer etc were probably more the straw that broke the camels back. loads on top and bottom of the tube will be high.
    good effort sir…

takisawa2

Enough to make me swap my SFN’s to those long Ameoba headlock things. At least if it goes the bolt will holdit together.

I snapped a BMX stem once, landing a jump. Bars went forward leaving jagged stem that ripped in to my chest, face hit the tyre & rubbed along it for few secs. Tried to grab the fork legs to right my self but knuckles ended up skinned by Skyways. Managed to roll off sideways.
    Not a good day. I looked a state. Managed to ride home no handed holding the severed bars.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

Big George wondering how he’s gonna tell Lance about breaking on of his bikes…

True and dull story: I was sitting in a bar in Roubaix when that happened, watching on the telly, and Roger Hammond’s missus was there too, having wandered up the road, found the bar, and found us chatting in English. What I learned that day: Having a significant other racing in Paris Roubaix is a nerve wracking experience. When his teammate’s bike explodes, you go a very pale colour

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

I got what caused it. They werent that old when they snapped, maybe a couple of years old, but in the UK winters parts can quickly look scruffier quickly. My own ‘snap’ did happen some time ago and these are old pics. Not sure when the OP’s snap occured. Allegedly we should ‘service’ rigid forks annually… this really surprised me, everybody I rode with at the time (many on rigid SS) and all the road guys I’ve ever ridden with. I think a few nervous checks were performed by all afterwards. 😉

my next purchase after the snap was some ti forks. 🙂

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Broken shivers by Alpine160, on Flickr

Old Shivers on friends bike a few years ago.
    Cwn carn downhill track. Last run of the day. On the section where there are 3 steps a bit after the tunnel.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Snapped fork steerer – anyone ever seen this happen?’ is closed to new replies.