Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Smart training. What (else) do I need?
  • tomhoward

Right, my turbo hours could do with smartening up, partly to help me train better, mostly to allieveate the boredom. I’m thinking about a Tacx Flux, so in order to get the most out of it what else do I need?

I currently have:
    Boggo cheap elite trainer (5 resistance settings, loud and vibrates more than an Ann Summers rep’s sample bag)
    A basic polar HRM
    iPhone, iPad, MacBook.
    Motivation
    A goal

Assuming I go for the flux, what other kit/subscriptions will help me put the right effort into turning me into a 24hr racing machine?

MSP

Cadence sensor.
    Decent quality fan.

There are other variables depending on what is available to you, I have my setup in front of the tv, but wives and families can get annoyed at that, it is better than a computer screen though.

I would start off with a sufferfest subscription. Trainerroad is better, but if you want to match to sufferfest vids you have to buy them seperatly, but with TR you can run a training session with any video of your choosing. But I think starting out training sessions that match the video is better.

As you see from the zwift thread, lots of people really seem to like that, I find it rather meh.

Zwift, trainerroad and sufferfest subscriptions are all in the same ballpark price wise, if you have strava premium you can get a couple of months free on zwift.

paton
    Free Member

Turbo trainer is one way to get board.
    Smart training
    Nino Schurter finds this helps
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xW-nWnl5hYk[/video]

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Decide your objectives.

Put together a training plan to achieve those objectives or have a coach put one together for you.

Follow the plan religiously

Then worry about the other stuff like turbos and power meters.

Having said that a subscription to TrainerRoad and following one of their training plans will take you a long way.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Post above speaks much wisdom.

‘turning me into a 24hr racing machine’ isn’t really what turbo sessions are best used for. Unless you envisage yourself doing 3-12hr endurance rides indoor 😕

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Smart training. What (else) do I need?’ is closed to new replies.