Home Forums Chat Forum Smart Trainer location options ?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Smart Trainer location options ?
    iainc

I have a Wattbike that is located in our integral garage.  It works well there, I have a Vacmaster floor fan and can just about stay cool enough in the summer.  In the winter the air temp in there can get down to low single digits, so I tend to start a session with a fleece and remove after 10 mins or so.

My wife has suggested it might give her more space for some garage storage of kitchen overflow stuff if I were to move the Wattbike upstairs to the bedroom that I use as a WFH office.  There is certainly space there, the floor is wood effect luxury vinyl and I do have a big Wattbike floor mat.

Our house is always pretty warm though, as I sit here typing in said office the temperature is 22 degrees.  Sure, i can shut the door and open the window, but I do wonder if it’s going to turn it into a sweatfest and less pleasant experience…?

midlifecrashes

I do wonder if it’s going to turn it into a sweatfest and less pleasant experience…?

Turning it into a sweatfest and less pleasant experience is the new big thing!

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Any land grab attempt, of your garage space (man cave), must be resisted with all your might……. It’s your duty as a man !!

Good Luck

iainc

Any land grab attempt, of your garage space (man cave), must be resisted with all your might…….

yes, that did cross my mind !

weeksy

Mrs Weeksy isn’t allowed ANYTHING in the garage.. ever…. not ever… never ever ever.

The garage has bike stuff and mtorbike stuff… No garden stuff, no furniture… just NO !!!!

BadlyWiredDog

I do wonder if it’s going to turn it into a sweatfest and less pleasant experience…?

Heat training aside, you’ll be amazed at how much heat a turbo session generates, The human body apparently produces 3 watts of heat for every watt of energy from your legs, plus whatever heat the trainer itself is churning out. My bijoux outhouse training cavern can go from a comfortable 18˚C to around 25˚C or so even with the window open. The fan means you cool slightly quicker, but it’s nowhere near as effective as riding outside. With a higher starting point, it’ll get warmer again.

I’d never measured the temperature in there until this summer, when I bought a digital thermometer / humidity meter out of curiosity and because it had felt horrifically hot in there last year. Hot enough to absolutely screw performance / up the RPE massively.

Somewhere that’s 22˚C to start with is going to get very warm indeed. Personally I’d stick with the garage. If you do want to do impromptu heat training just wear more clothes and turn off the fan. But at least you’ll the have the choice.

MoreCashThanDash

The overflow kitchen stuff goes in your office.

Assuming you can’t afford a new wife.

(Wink emoji)

iainc

hmmmmm, think it will stay where it is !

Caher

Mine’s in the conservatory. Can open the door in the winter.

If it’s in the bedroom can you put it on her side of the bed?

scotroutes

I use what was once our dining room. It has a double door to the garden, with the bike right beside it and I always have to have at least one door open – even in our winter. Any room that is comfortable my warm enough to be used as an office will be far too warm for a tough turbo session. You’ll be hearing it up, then venting all the heat before you can get on the bike.

DrP

The human body apparently produces 3 watts of heat for every watt of energy from your legs,

I believe (from teh book “bicycling science” it’s FOUR watts of body heat, for 1 watt of propulsion.

So if you’re cruising at 200 watts, you’re making 800watts of heat.

Thus, being able to remove that heat effectively is key..

I’ve got 2 vacmaster fans and an 18 inch wall fan in my turbo garage. I still get hot!

DrP

mert
    Free Member

Heat training aside, you’ll be amazed at how much heat a turbo session generates,

I had some graphs from way back showing the temp and humidity increase when the ex used to do monster sessions in one of the basement rooms (up to 3 hours of simulated road riding). It’s a big, well ventilated room and she could add 5 or 6 degrees and 25-30% to humidity… Glad it was a lino floor TBH!

I wouldn’t do it myself.

Duggan

I have mine in an upstairs spare room and was really worried the paint would be peeling off or something but its fine tbh.

Having said that, it has a huge window at the end that opens, plus a vent you can open in the wall (for some reason) and I always keep the door ajar with the bathroom window open too (which is across the landing) so the air can flow through and out.

I promise I am working quite hard on the trainer and do a fair few Vo2 max sessions etc.

Edit to say this is with one of those Vacmaster fans.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.