• This topic has 20 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by rs.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Small Block 8 alternatives?
  • poppa
    Free Member

Hi, I am currently running 2.1″ Kenda Nevegals at the moment, but once the weather starts drying up I am thinking of putting a Small-Block 8 type tyre on the back to speed things up a bit. Then in summer I was thinking of chucking the Small-Block on the front, and putting a lo-profile tyre on the back (a WTB Nanoraptor I have kicking about). Et voila – tyres for all seasons. I was just wondering if there are other choices I should be considering instead of the Small Block – particularly from less obvious manufacturers (I am already aware of the Maxxis Larsen).

FYI: I ride recreationally, mainly XC type stuff although I try to sniff out as much technincal stuff as I can find to hone my ‘skills’. Terrain is mainly rooty singletrack – not many rocks round here.

Marmite
    Free Member

Maxxis Crossmark, Continental Race King?

flatback
    Free Member

specialized fast trak lk, good tyre , fast and lasts a while considering the low knob height.

soma_rich
    Free Member

Maxxis larsen TT

DezB
    Free Member

Maxxis are the “obvious manufacturers” because they are good.

How about Bonty Dry-X

poppa
    Free Member

Didn’t say they weren’t good…

Thanks for the ideas guys, will do my homework before purchasing. Major drawback with Small Blocks is that they seem hard to get hold of too.

Coasting
    Free Member

Crossmarks r gr8 in the dry.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

DMR Moto RT

Not the lightest but seem great on all but the wettest gloop. Quiet and fast on tarmac. Just enought bite on gravel (but with a little bit of slide in them if you like it). Quite a large volume for 2.2″ too so quite a comfy ride. Also quite cheap too.

clubber
    Free Member

I’m not sure about alternatives but the SB8s are great – so long as it’s really dry – they roll amazingly well for a big tyres but provide loads of grip. I was certainly very happy with mine.

chunkychew
    Free Member

Just go for the small block 8. Brilliant tyre. I’m running one (2.3″ DTC) on the back of my hardtail with a (2.3Stick -E) nevegal up front. Its a great combo. Small block 8 is great on the back in hardpack or looser sand and was also great at a damp (but not wet) Coed-y-Brenin and Marin Trail.

It’s light, largish volume, low rolling resistance and grippy.

sillyoldman

Bontrager XR1 – available in 2.0 and 2.2

gingerflash

another vote for SB8s. Very grippy and about 2 gears faster than a nobby nic.

I suppose racing ralphs and fast freds are worth a look, but will wear out fast and are more fragile than SB8s. Conti speedkings are bloody awful.

bomberman
    Free Member

for dry trails you could try a small block 8 on he back and a larsen tt on the front that’d be an amazing combo. you’d get the rolling speed of the small block plus a bit more grip on the front for last minute braking. If theres one thing i didn’t like about running SB8’s front and rear it was that i couldn’t really push the braking limit too hard over the loose stuff. a TT up front might solve that.

concept2

Slightly o/t..
    How do the SB8’s come size wise? I currently have 2.2″ MK protection tyres and wondered if anyone has experience of the 2.35 SB8 as i don’t think i have room for much more tyre at the back.

bomberman
    Free Member

theyre pretty fat for A 2.35

concept2

Thank you – 2.1 it is then..

BearBack
    Free Member

The Dread Tread is also a fast rolling tyre.. not as easy pedalling as the SB8 and IMO, not as much traction either. that said, it seems a much tougher/hardier tyre that is still quite capable.

Raced both, prefer the SB8, but prefer to ride the Dred Tread on trail and keep the SB8’s for race day.

gingerflash

Concept – a 2.1 SB8 will be way bigger than a 2.2 MK.

concept2

Thanks GFlash i will need to check more closely.

poppa
    Free Member

Ok, done a bit more research – I have narrowed it down to either a Small Block 8 or Racing Ralph for the rear I think. Maybe i’ll toss a coin… Anyone got an idea how RR’s size up compared to, e.g. Nevegals?

rs
    Free Member

take a look at the kit just in on the front page, some nice looking bontrager small block 8 type tyres.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Small Block 8 alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.