Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • SLX Crankset
  • tootallpaul

Does anyone know if anyone has the SLX Double and Bash crankset in stock? 175 mm version?

Or do I just go for the triple and fit my existing bash?

Decisions!

P

DustyLilac
    Free Member

I’d hold out for the double and bash, you get the more sensible 22 / 36 option. Merlin best on price last night when I looked, but not sure on stocks.

tootallpaul

That’s my quandry- I’ve been happy enough one by nine with a 32…

richc
    Free Member

what about getting the 22/36 and a road cassette then, that way you will get better spacing between gears, less weight and can use a shorter mech thats out of the way a bit more.

tootallpaul

Problem is no one has the 22/36 in stock.

It’s going on a 29er too, so I’d rather stick with a big cassette.

MrAgreeable

The bash ring it comes with is pretty heavy, so if you’ve got a nice alloy one lying around you could save some weight. You get the fancy composite chain ring on the triple version too.

matthew_h
    Free Member

I’d just get the triple set up and fit your own bashring. You could put the other rings into stock as spares or could sell them. If you really need a 36t ring then get a cheapy Deore one that will last longer anyway.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Isn’t the bash ring version beefed up in other areas too? Heavier gauge axle? Pedal Thread inserts? I could be wrong but I seem to remember something like that……

Mister-P
    Free Member

The double does indeed have pedal thread inserts.

TheSanityAssassin

The double does indeed have pedal thread inserts.

Does that mean the triple doesn’t?

Surely it’s just the chainring set-up that differs?

tootallpaul

Cheers guys- gone for the triple…

Mister-P
    Free Member

The triple does not have inserts. I have checked.

james
    Free Member

“Does that mean the triple doesn’t?

Surely it’s just the chainring set-up that differs? “

Nope. The SLX bash has steel pedal thread inserts and a steel axle for extras strength/stiffness. The 36/22T rings are (softer than steel) aluminium. Weighs about 1kg

The SLX triple doesn’t have the steel axle or pedal threads. The middle ring is (hard wearing)steel/composite(to make lighter) too. All in is 889g

Merlin have a couple of 36/24T truvtiv HTII style cranksets that weigh AND cost less than the SLX bash crankset

therevokid
    Free Member

Add insult to injury – I’ve got a Truvativ Stylo AM 2.2 (2009) with
    24/36T going on ebay for 70 squid having been “given” a M665 !!

tootallpaul

Thanks for all the info guys- not too worried about the inserts, and I wouldn’t go for a Truvativ crank again.

xherbivorex
    Free Member

Add insult to injury – I’ve got a Truvativ Stylo AM 2.2 (2009) with
    24/36T going on ebay for 70 squid having been “given” a M665 !!

excuse my muppet-ness, but would this fit a 68mm BB shell, or is that not even an issue with external BBs?

james
    Free Member

external BBs come with spacers to allow to run 68mm shell, 73mm shell and/or with a bottom bracketed front mech or chain device (not both on a 73mm shell though)

xherbivorex
    Free Member

righto, cheers.
    hmm, tempted by the truvativ stylo now as this would fit the bill nicely for taming my stiffee somewhat (currently 1×8, 38T DH ring with e.13 fitted but i want to ride it up a bit as well now!)
    hmmm…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘SLX Crankset’ is closed to new replies.