Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • SLX brakes
  • jimmy

Bikeradar review says they’re a real faff to set up but ace once done. Is this true? Anyone got them to recommend or not?

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

Haven’t got them but I have demo’ed a bike with them. Much like old xt imo. Just sort of good in a very bland way.

Rockplough
    Free Member

Don’t know what they’re on about. Not a faff at all. Quite the opposite. I love mine. Haven’t had to look at them since fitted last September.

scruff
    Free Member

no faff, as good as XT.

alpin
    Free Member

bland prehaps re. looks but with good solid shimano performance.

not really a faff to set up. not really all that much to set up if you do not have to bleed them – only the reach to adjust.

as for bleeding. they were the first set of hydros i’ve bled as i needed to shorten the hose. much easier if you have a stand to work with. make sure the rotors and pads are removed before you get oil everywhere (this will happen if it is your first bleed).

performance is good. XT would be my choice if the cost was much more due he the nicer colours and the bite-point adjustment.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Mine was very simple to set up, as are most post mount brakes.

richc
    Free Member

My XT’s weren’t to bad to setup took a few tries to get all the air out of the system though, but reverse bleeding flushed it out eventually.

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

good brakes – easy to set up and bleed (did mine last night for the first time)

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

alpin – Member

bland prehaps re. looks but with good solid shimano performance.

I meant bland in terms of performance – I don’t really care about the looks. The lever feel is typically shimano, there isn’t much there through the range of the levers motion. There is no “feel” like you would get in an avid for example, and the modulation of which there is a lot all seems to come in in an odd way…..you don’t really notice what the brake is doing so much as what your hand is doing if that makes any sense.

They are fine on the trails 90% of the time but they always give you the occasional “oh shit” moment when you think they aren’t going to stop you but then they do but only because you had to yank a fistful of brake lever.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘SLX brakes’ is closed to new replies.