Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • stripped pedal thread, any ideas
  • swisstony
    Free Member

I haven’t actually inspected the threads yet as i don’t want to depress myself too much but last night on the first outing of my new XT cranks i whacked the drive side pedal on a rock, now it was a big whack, i was going pretty fast and it was big enough to stop the bike dead and send me over the bars as well as bending the pedal axle.

Anyway after i got up the pedal wouldn’t stay tight and i limped home, having to retighen it a few times feeling noticable play, so can anything be done or is it just an expensive occupational hazard.

All i can think of is locktight but i don’t think that will work

????

ta

uplink
    Free Member

It may be worth putting some PTFE tape on the thread
    If not, look at having a Helicoil fitted to it

zaskar
    Free Member

If teh pedal axel bent I wouldn’t even bother fixing the crank for the cost of having a helicoil fitted.

Buy a replacement.

If the crank is still aligned and not bent and the frame alignment is ok then sure get a helicoil fitted.

Bad luck -was it at night?

Hope you get sorted.

BigDummy
    Free Member

Sounds like it’s to far gone, but try threading a pedal axle in from the wrong side. I’ve seen this done to recut threads where they have been damaged but not completely shagged.

swisstony
    Free Member

thanks guys, yeh it was at night, i’m pretty sure the crank arm is still straight it was the pedal axle that bent.

ta, i’ll try going in from the back and some ptfe for good measure.

How do i go about helicoiling, is it a send off somewhere job, if so where and is it an economical option?

ta

Pickers

ta, i’ll try going in from the back and some ptfe for good measure.

😯

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘stripped pedal thread, any ideas’ is closed to new replies.