Home Forums Bike Forum SLX brakes – 2 pot or 4 pot for “the larger gentleman”

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • SLX brakes – 2 pot or 4 pot for “the larger gentleman”
  • bensales
    Free Member

I need, well want, some new brakes. Rest of the bike is SLX 7100 series, I like a complete groupset, and I see SLX brakes are a reasonable price.

I’m 280lbs, so the 4 pot version would seem to be the best choice?

NewRetroTom

I have the 4 pots on one of my bikes and think they’re pretty good. I’d say get the biggest rotors you can for your frame/fork.

bensales
    Free Member

I’ve got 180 front and 160 rear rotors at the moment, and they’re new, so don’t really want to get into replacing them and mount adapters as well.

chakaping

Merlin had XT 4 pots for £200 a set last week.

Otherwise I’d probably buy Deore over SLX, I have Deore 4 pots on two of my bikes at the mo.

euain

Depends what riding you’re doing but that sounds very small for a larger rider if you’re looking to stop on anything at all steep.

No reason not to go for the 4 pots but you’ll always have limited stopping power with the smaller rotors.

kelvin

Up the rotor size if you feel you need 4 pot. If staying with the same rotors, it’ll make little difference which you get, so get whichever is cheaper.

bensales
    Free Member

Merlin is where I’m looking as they have a sale on.  I can have XT M8100 2 pots for 200, SLX M7100 2 pots for 150, or SLX M7120 4 pots for 265.

I’m not doing anything steep.  Trail riding, blues and the odd red on a hardtail.

bigginge

It’s also worth playing around a bit with your pads. I’m 120kg ish and have got 2 pots on the hardtail with sintered pads and 4 pot on the full sus with organic pads. 203 mm and 180mm rotors on both, though I have a 220mm/203mm set ready to go on the FS if I venture out to some trail centres later in the year.

On the short downhill runs where I live the 2 pot with the sintered pads seem to have more grab and possibly as much overall power as the 4 pots. So possibly not as much in it between the two options as you might think in less extreme use.

Would definitely up your rotor size though, that will feel different and won’t cost as much as a new set of brakes.

thols2

I’ve got 180 front and 160 rear rotors at the moment, and they’re new, so don’t really want to get into replacing them and mount adapters as well.

I would put a 200 up front and the 180 on the back. You could keep the 160 as a spare, or just leave it on the back until it’s worn out and then fit the 180.

nickc

I’ve got 180 front and 160 rear rotors at the moment

There’s nae point in getting 4 pots and using teeny rotors frankly

bensales
    Free Member

I think I’ll go for the 2 pot SLX.  Saves 100 quid, and I must admit I haven’t felt the current SRAM Level T brakes particularly lacking in stopping power for my riding, I just have an irrational dislike of SRAM kit and they don’t match the rest of my bike :-)  I’ll look to bigger rotors when the current ones wear out.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

If you’re going 2 pot I’d definitely up the rotors with the money saved, no offence but 160mm seems a daft idea for such a heavyweight, I’m 100lbs lighter running 4 pot with 200 / 220mm rotors, you couldn’t pay me to run 160mm.

bensales
    Free Member

Simplest way to increase rotors a bit would seem to be to stick my current 180 from the front on the back, and get a 203mm from Merlin for a tenner for the front.  Just need post mount adaptors.

elray89
    Free Member

I’m late-80s in kilograms – have a bike with 4-pot SLX (enduro) and one with 2-pot (XC). I much prefer braking the big bike on steep stuff, but I generally think that’s down to larger rotors and much grippier tires. Actual braking power is not *hugely* different between calipers and suspect all things equal it wouldn’t be too much different at all.

The 4-pots are deadly though, I’ve never wanted anything more powerful.

pondo

Watching with interest – how big do rotors go?

thols2

how big do rotors go?

You can buy 220 mm rotors, but you’d need to check that they have clearance if you want to fit them on the rear. You might also want to check what the fork manufacturer states as the maximum rotor size – I don’t think there’s any safety issue (there have been a couple of threads about the topic), but it might void the warranty. Obvious thing is to refit the original brakes if you need to take the bike into the shop for warranty claims.

j.bro
    Free Member

There is a big difference in quality with Deore and XT.

The XT lever at the pivot is solid, the Deore wobbles, feels cheap. Not sure if XT uses a bearing instead of a bushing like higher end SRAM brakes. Or they just use a better quality/tolerance bushing. Unsure where SLX fits in as I haven’t owned a pair. But have owned both of the others.

XT calipers are also better for the bleed nipple and banjo connection. Deore just uses a straight connection.

People make out there’s no difference other than free stroke. But it isn’t true. Even the quality of the compression hose nut boot/cover is difference. Deore is loose, XT doesn’t move. Lever play makes the deore not feel very good. The set I have are light used, would hate to see how sloppy they are after hard use.

tomhoward

how big do rotors go?

220/223mm from the major manufacturers, there are a couple of 246mm ones iirc, and aliexpress will sell you a 250mm…

bensales
    Free Member

Reading reviews there doesn’t seem to be much in it between SLX and XT. Functionally XT gains the free stroke adjustment, but that appears to be it. SLX also has the inboard adjustable banjos. They weigh nearasdammit the same. XT has an anodised finish versus painted on the SLX.

I’ve gone for the 2 pot SLX, plus a 203mm rotor to go on the front, and will move the 180mm to the back. My Reba forks will apparently go up to a 220mm rotor but I don’t think that’ll be necessary for my riding.

Deore is a great budget option obviously, but the rest of the bike is SLX, and I can afford the additional.

flyingpotatoes

Go for a bigger rotor upfront. I went to 203 and it makes a big difference.

Merlin have Shimano 220 rotor for £10

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-sm-rt66-6-bolt-rotor-58403.html

bensales
    Free Member

I’ve got Centerlocks, not 6-bolt. But a 203mm RT64 rotor was also a tenner from Merlin.

thols2

Shimano make adapters to fit 6 bolt rotors to Centerlock hubs.

flyingpotatoes

I’ve got Centerlocks

Sorry didn’t realise but as you say centrelocks are £10 as well.

bens
    Free Member

Merlin have got Deore 6120s for £130

https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-deore-m6100-m6120-front-and-rear-disc-brake-set-213641.html

I’d go for those over the SLX. All you really gain with SLX is a nicer finish and finned pads which if they make any difference, are only going to help on long descents.

I’ve got XT M8000s (2 piston) on my hardtail and Deore (4 piston) 6120s on my ebike and there’s a huge difference in power with the Deores winning hands down.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

I’m running SLX 2 pot front with 200 rotor and 4 pot rear with 180 rotor. Yes I set it up this way on purpose!

Works well, plenty of power I like it.

bensales
    Free Member

ajt123
    Free Member

Get the most powerful you want to afford.

Weight differences are fairly minimal between low and high power brakes.

Even if you aren’t doing XTREME gnar your hands will feel better.

Not all 4 pots are equal obviously.

I think larger roters are cheaper than he best pound for £ investment you can make.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

@bensales

.. ;)

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.