Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SLR to DSLR question.
  • juan
    Free Member

I know there is a few people on here interested in photography so I thought I'll ask.
    Lets says that when I won't be able to process films anywhere I'll keep taking pictures using a digital camera.
    Will my film lenses fit my DSLR body (owing no change of brand).
    Cheers

coffeeking
    Free Member

Depends on the make, age and type of lens and camera. Some, yes. Some but with some limits (not autofocus etc). Some no.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Depends what brand you already have.

IE, Old Olympus lenses probably won't be any good, certainly not without some sort of adapter. Nikon lenses have the same mount on all their SLR lenses, but there may be compatibility issues (mechanical/electronic interface and control). Canon lenses should swap over ok I think.

Bear in mind, that the DSLR sensor size is smaller than a 35mm film frame, so you will get a 'magnification' of the focal length of the lens. Typically 1.5x, so a 50mm lens will become a 75mm lens on a DSLR. The sensor only 'sees' a smaller portion of the image circle.

http://www.minasi.com/photos/dslrmag/

nbt

Will my film lenses fit my DSLR body (owing no change of brand).

With reservations, yes. If your SLR is fairly recent, you should be OK, but some older lenses won;t work – e.g. Canon EF lenses will work on Canon DSLRs, but not the older lenses. What's your current camera / lens?

molgrips
    Free Member

What CK said.

juan
    Free Member

canon EOS 300 lenses

nbt

juan – Member

canon EOS 300 lenses

Your Canon EF lenses will work fine on a newer Canon DSLR

coffeeking
    Free Member

EF lenses work fine on EOS DSLRs IIRC, the reverse is not true though.

marsdenman
    Free Member

If you're a Nikon man then most (if not all??) lenses from their back catalogue will fit as they have always used the same "F' mount. Ability to meter etc will vary according to the age of the lens.

If you are a minolta user then I THINK you can use some of their lenses on the new Sony stuff?

Canon have changed mount on several occasions so backward compatibility is limited.

Dunno about the other makes…

HTH..

nbt

coffeeking – Member

EF lenses work fine on EOS DSLRs IIRC, the reverse is not true though.

EF lenses will work fine on any EOS camera

EF-S lenses will only work on APS-C DSLRs – the xxxD and xxD ranges, in essence

Canon have changed mount on several occasions so backward compatibility is limited.

No, just the once, from FD to EF. The EF-S mount is the same as the EF mount, but the lens projects further back as the mirror is smaller on an APS-C sized camera, thus the lens would foul on a full size mirror

Talkemada
    Free Member

The only issue with Canon AF lenses is with the EF and EFS mounts. DSLRS have the latter, but can accept older EF mount lenses. Canon 35mm EF mount camera bodies won't accept the EFS mount lenses. Seeing as how the EFS lenses are designed for digital use only, this isn't really a problem.

Canon FD (manual focus) lenses won't fit any EF/S mount camera bodies.

Nikon FTW! 😀

Talkemada FTFail though. Curse you nbt! 👿

boriselbrus
    Free Member

However if you have some non Canon lenses (ie Sigma) then some older ones won't work – they just throw up an error on the camera. It's worth googling the lens first to see if there are any problems.

dooge
    Free Member

As they have said, and just times the focal length of your lenses by 1.6 for any APS-C sized sensor, and by 1.3 on an APS-H sized sensor. so anything below a 5D and the 1Ds will normally be 1.6 times with the exception being the 1D series (Different to 1Ds) in which it would be 1.3 times.

Chances are you wont have a wide angle now for most digital SLR's as 28mm therefore is equivalent of roughly 45mm.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SLR to DSLR question.’ is closed to new replies.