Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Slovenia MTB
  • Marko

We’re off to Slovenia as part of our Alps trip this summer. I’ve trawled the old posts and they are all a bit dated. And then when I found this:

In 2014 new legislation concerning the protection of the environment has meant that pure off road biking is much limited and the future for mountain biking in Slovenia looks to be based around officially scantioned roads / tracks and bike parks.

So first off has this been implemented and has it had any impact?

We’ll be camping, mostly likely in the Soca valley region, so a campsite recommendation would be good. I don’t think this is set in stone so any camp site recommendations with good riding – ideally out of the door – are welcome.

I can see several bike parks on various websites, but which one (or more) will suit a range of abilities?

We’ll be more than happy to engage a guide for a day or so, especially if they provide an uplift service. Peddling uphill is a last resort, but if needs must then so be it.

Over to the font of all knowledge that is STW.

Marko

AnyExcuseToRide
    Free Member

Just posting here to remind myself to write a proper reply later! Got plenty of info for you as I loved there for a gear and it was the best mountain biking of my life,I know a lot of people over there still abfsome guides. Dont worry about the access law,everyone rides still and its more to do with the national parks.

oliverracing

Same as anus, will comment later with more info but I went last year and there are some great routes if your willing to explore. The only areas you cant ride off-road are the national parks (above Bovec in the soca valley), but elsewhere there is tonnes of great and wild stuff, with a fun bikepark at Krasjka Gora that shouldn’t be missed!

superfli
    Free Member

Me and a couple of mates are off to Slovenia with RideSlovenia for a long w/e in Sept. Hope their trails arent affected! The videos looked stunning and just my type of riding. Also the accommodation and village looked very peaceful, cant wait!

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

We’re going to Slovenia in June with Cycle Active. No past experience to go on but the info on their website doesn’t say anything about restrictions.

Who are you going with? If an organised/guided trip have you asked the organisers?

Marko

Thanks so far.

@ dbuk. We are on our own, not with a company as we intend to do some rafting/climbing/canyoning/walking. Plus we have a whole week in Morzine for the full on ride every day thrill.

Marko

Dave
    Free Member

Home

Best campsite in Soca valley. Lazer in Kobarid

kevduckworth

I’ve been to Slovenia twice now (Ride Slovenia) and its an awesome place. I went first in 2011 when I’d only been back riding (15 year gap) a year or so. In fact a borrowed DH bike was my first ever proper thrash of a Full sus bike (other than playing on the odd one ~94).

Slovenia is small so you can do everywhere from where your based. I’ve not been everywhere but Maribor and Kransja Gora are the big ones, there are some that arent for “a range” of abilities from what I hear. There are lots of small tracks that can be self uplifted if your in a group, but you really need a guide.

My favourite trail I’ve ever ridden is there, and on this vid.
    https://vimeo.com/115100444

Enjoy the vastness of a small country and if you can get away from the parks onto the singletrack it really is amazing and you can often have it to yourself.

I’m going back in August.

neil853
    Free Member

I’m out with ride Slovenia in July too, we’ve done a lot of the other resorts and were looking for something a little different. Really looking forward to it

oldfart

Cycleactive last year , Ani from Bike Nomads runs the show over there . The underground was surreal ! The new bike park at Pretel ? Mountain flow trail awesome !

Marko

Thanks for the replies so far.

Any more suggestions? Has anybody any GPX files of routes?

Ta
    Marko

andytherocketeer

in the Soca valley, iirc Kamp Lazar and Kamp Koren were the 2 campsites of choice?

we stayed in a guesthouse in a village up the hill from Kobarid and rode from there, or popped bikes in car and rode from Bovec.

made up some bike riding routes from some German bike guide (name escapes me right now, but I’ll find it).

then went over to Mezica and stayed in the place there that featured in a ST magazine years ago.
    then went and stayed in the Cake + Coffee + Icecream hotel in Maribor.

all our rides were made up from guide books or suggestions. no guiding. all just XC “just get out and ride” kind of rides. no bike park stuff.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Slovenia MTB’ is closed to new replies.