• This topic has 83 replies, 60 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by benp1.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • Slim Wallets
  • Basil
    mattsccm
    Free Member

Less junk in the wallet then it will be thin.

mobes
    Free Member

I’ve just switched over to a Trove. Loving it so far!

CountZero

Not the lightest, but close to indestructible, attached to a hefty lanyard you could probably use it as a defensive weapon!
    http://www.trayvax.com/collections/element-collection
    But not cheap.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

belroy here after seeing the advert at the top of the page!
    Really pleased with it, nice and slim and made me reduce the amount of rubbish i carry.

Someone has mentioned the StoCard app which is what I know use for all my loyalty / store cards too.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member
    ianfitz
    Free Member

Alpkit wallit works for me. £5!

Hydra Wallit / Regular / Tarmac

wwaswas

I’ve not followed many links – do all these wallets have linings that stop the RFID stuff being read?

nuke

Mulberry wallet here…had it 20 years now and still going strong

councilof10
    Free Member

I’ve not followed many links – do all these wallets have linings that stop the RFID stuff being read?

Secrid wallets do – not as minimal as some of the above but if you’re after peace of mind, worth a look…

benp1

Office postie just dropped my new wallet off, a Hackett Trove. I like it already!

4130s0ul
    Free Member

Vaultskin RFID wallet for me. 9 cards plus space for a few folded notes

bungle

My wallet is slimmer than it used to be too.

I blame it on the ****** Tories.

CountZero

Well, the Trayvax one is supposed to, but why do you care? Do you actually believe these bullshit scare stories in the Daily Wail that claim people just walk past you in the street and read all the info on your cards?
    Instead of being able to just tap your card on the reader on a shop, or on the Tube or wherever, you’ve got to keep taking the card out every time you want to use it.
    I can’t be arsed, defeats the point of having the damned thing.
    Although I do tend to use my phone more now anyway.

wwaswas

If you have 3 cards in your wallet how do you know which one is going to be charged when you wave it at a machine?

aracer
    Free Member

Going way OT (I’ve taken to just carrying one card and a couple of notes in my pocket with no wallet at all), has anybody got that or anything similar to work reliably at providing barcodes shops can scan? In theory Android Pay provides the same functionality – I’ve added several loyalty cards, and they display barcodes, but haven’t ever successfully got one to scan.

tekp2
    Free Member

https://www.slimwalletjunkie.com/products/chikara-leather-wallet-sapphire-black

Good for about ten cards, a hundred quid and some receipts. RFID blocked on the inside, but one slot on the outside for the oyster card or other contactless.

Really like it.

CountZero

If you have 3 cards in your wallet how do you know which one is going to be charged when you wave it at a machine?

You don’t. That’s one problem with carrying several cards with RFID, like an Oyster and a card attached to the same account. Of course, now you can ditch the Oyster and just use the bank card, or use your phone.
    I was looking through an EDC.com feature on slim wallets, and one they featured was the Pelican Sport wallet, made by the people who make Pelican hard cases for sports goods:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008YGI7KC?tag=pd999-20
    Ordered one, it arrived today, and it’s bloody good! Very slightly less convenient than my Jimi wallet, in that my driver’s license isn’t visible without removing it, but the mesh pockets hold everything in place securely, and it closes very tightly, and is very solid once closed up. Not waterproof enough to go swimming with, it’s IP54, but I’ve put a thin smear of silicon grease onto the rubber gasket, which may give it a better seal.
    Anyway, it’s exactly what I was looking for as a more robust replacement for the Jimi.

chomp
    Free Member

I’ve had a BASICS wallet for a while now and will be getting another when this one dies

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQM2UT_rNvU[/video]

Handles a bunch of cards and folded cash easy – plus has a little pouchy thing for a few quids worth of coins

They’re about £15

nealglover
    Free Member

I use a Curve Card, it has all your payment cards registered to it, and you can choose which one to pay with for any transaction. It’s dead simple and can be used anywhere.

https://www.imaginecurve.com/getcurve/
    (Register with F1CZL and get free £5 credit 😉 )

And I use the Stocard app for all my loyalty cards so I don’t carry any of those.

https://appsto.re/gb/eX7FA.i

So as I only carry one card I use one of these

12 loyalty/points cards stored on phone, 6 payment cards stored on Curve card, the odd £5/10 folded next to card in phone case. And No Wallet.

cat69uk
    Free Member

I’ve the Loft of Cambie from Slim Wallet Junkie for a year, 2 cards in the middle, 1 on each side and folded notes. Could fancy just going to one with my phone though.

huckersneck
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member

Although less minimal than a number of suggestions put forward a bi-fold card wallet almost allows this. One contactless card in each side allows the one required to be flopped on to the machine needing it, with the other beyond range. Notes can be held in the middle of the fold too, where they are more easily accessible than folded up inside a non-bifold slim wallet. I’ve not had a problem with them falling out unexpectedly either.

benp1

I used to have a bi fold wallet which did help with that

I bought the Trove thanks to this thread, only carry 3 cards in it. debit card (don’t carry/use a credit card), driving licence and work ID. Debit card and word ID are RFID

Driving licence is in the middle of the 3, both cards seem to work fine – although I can’t pay for anything on my work ID and my debit card won’t let me into my office so maybe it works because of that?

I looked at the curve card but realised that I don’t actually use anything other than my debit card anyway

Stocard app worked fine in Tesco but not in Waitrose. Haven’t tried Sainsburys yet. Waitrose just typed the number in though

nealglover
    Free Member

Stocard works fine everywhere I’ve tried it (costa, Sainsbury’s, Waitrose, Tesco, Morrisons, holand&Baratt, etc) but not BP garages for some reason, but as you said, they just type the number in so it’s fine.
    It’s great not having to find a needle in a haystack anymore !

matt_outandabout

How do you deal with receipts with these wonder-skinny wallets?
    Work expenses need records…

deadkenny
    Free Member

Those Belroy prices! 😯

Yeah, last decent one I had was one from a market in the States, probably about $10. Handled US dollar length notes but folded up compact. Eventually died though.

Now have a temporary bulky thing that has all cards I could possibly need for survival in life plus countless store loyalty cards, but for bike rides I stick a few essentials in a little plastic wallet that came with train tickets once. A credit card, driving licence and a note for money, sticker on the back with emergency info. job done. It won’t last that long though.

Contactless cards is good in place of cash now as Peaslake store accepts them without charge (unlike non contactless), so can get those cheese straws and pork & leaks without fiddling about for change 😀

CountZero

matt_outandabout – Member
    How do you deal with receipts with these wonder-skinny wallets?
    Work expenses need records…

How many, exactly, are you going to accumulate during a working day?
    Clear them out as soon as you get home, shouldn’t be a problem, or carry a separate cheap plastic jobbie to just stuff the receipts into, like a heavy-duty ziplock bag/wallet.
    I need to keep fuel/bridge toll receipts for work, but they don’t go into my wallet, they go into my pocket along with a small notepad, then are separated each day because some need to go with the job sheets for a particular car, if fuel bought with my fuel card, others get sent off with my weekly time sheet if I use my own money, far easier to keep them away from my own personal stuff.
    They also need job number and car reg written on each, so easier to do that as soon as possible, keeping them well away from any other personal paperwork.
    Here, something like these: http://www.ryman.co.uk/snopake-document-wallet-a6-polyfile-portrait-pack-of-5
    Cheap as, A6 will slip into a pocket or bag/work folder, keep all your receipts tidy.

aphex_2k
    Free Member
    benp1

Don’t have to worry about work expenses in this job, don’t really have any. But as above I’d pop them in my wallet during the day and decant them into something else in the evening.

I rarely need to keep/carry receipts, if I did there’s enough space for a few, they’re pretty thin

I don’t mind spending a bit of money on a wallet. Unless ladies purses they don’t get changed much and they’re always being carried in pocket

My new slim wallet is my 3rd wallet in over 20 years. I hadn’t expected to buy another, 1st proper wallet was bought when I was 16 and lasted till a few years ago. Bellroy one was a present and was less bulky then the one before, this new Trove, acquired thanks to this thread, is slimmer still. I have the Bellroy in the drawer for if it works out to be too slim/inpractical, but so far so good. The first main problem it has highlighted is that it’s so inconspicuous I can take my trousers off and put them away with my wallet in there and not know, which in turn makes it easy to lose!

CountZero

I posted a link to the Trayvax wallets up there a bit ^^
    I do like them, but TBH I think my Pelican might be the better option, as everything is held inside in two mesh pockets, and it clips together very tightly, and is pretty water resistant as well
    Smoother edges than the Trayvax, too, although it’s noticeably bigger than the Jimi, which might be an issue, but then when you see the bloody great bricks that people carry around stuffed full of cards, receipts and God-knows what other junk, it’s minuscule.
    Very happy with it, my current, unbroken Jimi has gone into a drawer, as a just-in-case backup.

shermer75
    Free Member

Wise guy don’t carry his money in a wallet, wise guy carries his money in a roll! Fact!

Evidence:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPB59bVSbck[/video]

markoc1984

Good for about ten cards, a hundred quid and some receipts. RFID blocked on the inside, but one slot on the outside for the oyster card or other contactless.

Really like it.

Thanks tekp2, this wallet is just what I was looking for, tuned up this morning!

Locoboy
    Free Member

I’m a bellboy convert, live my elements wallet. Can get a bit of change in to as well as 6 cards and notes.
    I’ve got other bellboy products too but it helps that my best mate is one of their sales reps!

Dangerboy
    Free Member

Another vote for
    All-Ett wallets from me. Have had a number of the leather ones and, though they have worn out eventually, haven’t found anything better. Will have one of their rfid blocking ones when current one eventually expires.
    I usually order a few at a time from the US and gift a couple to family.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Chaps, please do it with a little more style.

benp1

Has anyone actually heard or read about any RFID skimming scams in real life? Or even been a victim?

CountZero

Has anyone actually heard or read about any RFID skimming scams in real life? Or even been a victim?

A point I’ve already made. I’m pretty sure it’s one of those things the Daily Wail likes to make a big fuss about, because it’s theoretically possible, but the reality is it’s highly unlikely ever to happen in the real world; you’re much more likely to be a victim of skimming at a bar or restaurant, or at a hacked ATM.
    And if you’re that paranoid about it, then any wallet can be made RFID proof by sticking a bit of aluminium foil onto an old credit card or cardboard cut to size and tucked into the wallet.
    If you want to get really hi-tech, a thin sheet of copper mesh stuck into the wallet would do, but frankly I think it’s almost infinitesimal the chance of being skimmed by someone walking past.

CountZero

Very pretty, CF, but I’ll stick with something I can sit on without damaging the cards within, and which will keep the contents dry if I get soaked:

grantmccall63
    Free Member

Dash wallet 4.0. Best wallet I’ve had.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Slim Wallets’ is closed to new replies.