Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Slight movement on Centrelock hub/disc interface
  • PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of M776 wheels with 180mm XT rotors.

Everything is nice and tight, the hubs are recently serviced and rotors are securely fastened.

However, with the front brake applied, there’s still a bit of movement on the front wheel while the disc appears to remain stationary. It’s not a lot – probably 3mm at the tyre – but you can see the spokes/hub move next to the disc.

I’ve recently changed the disc from an XTR to an XT and, as mentioned above, stripped the hub down. The lock-nut is fastened as tight as I can get it using a short-handled Shimano BB tool , but there’s still movement.

Finally, it’s definitely at the disc/hub interface and not the headset!

Any comments/ideas?

R.lepecha

sure its not brake pads moving in the brake caliper?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Yeap – already checked that one too. Pads are pretty new and I don’t get the movement with a King/6 bolt Shimano disc set-up.

There’s a definite ‘clunk’ feeling at either end of the movement as well.

Baldysquirt

maybe the bolts rivets fixing the steel rotor to the alloy carrier have worn the carrier a bit? One of my riding mates has the same issue and you can hear them rattle as he rides along.

R.lepecha

When you put the rotor on without locking it down does it move on the splines? or if not that, The discs are riveted to the aluminium carrier, maybe there’s play in the rivets.

6 seconds too late.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Sounds like either QR not done up tight enough (unlikely as you’ve had it apart and back together again) or the cup n cones not quite right.

2hottie
    Free Member

3rd the carrier rivets, after melting my rear pads and their backing plates, my rotor took a beating XT160 splined. What you describe happens on the rear of my bike when the brake is locked on.

I can feel the play in the carrier so I would look at that (reminds me to buy a new one)

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Cool – cheers guys. I’ll check the carrier.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Slight movement on Centrelock hub/disc interface’ is closed to new replies.