Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Sleepy drivers – WWYD?
  • kazafaza
    Free Member

Coming back from the fine weekend at the Isle of Wight (thanks Keith & everybody involved), cruising on the M42 I’ve noticed a dark grey Touran(?) swerving a bit more than is considered a safe driving.  As I was overtaking him I had to stomp on the gas as he almost sweeped us from the lane that we were in.  Idiot was snoozing, he actually had his eyes closeds as we were passing by.  My first thought was to honk but I was worried that he could pull sharply and cause more problems…

Called the 101, was told that they will try to track him down.  What’s the best option in such scenario?  Overtake and stick the hazards on to try and capture his attention?   Slow down and light the hazards on to warn the others?  Throw a spanner at him?  Capture his crash on camera and sell to YBF?  #wwsd

andrewh
    Free Member

Correct procedure is probably what you did.

Actual procedure may be to give a wide berth and continue.

sbob
    Free Member

Overtaking was a mistake. Keep trouble ahead of you as you can always slow down. Calling it in is definitely the right thing to do.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I think I’d rather have the trouble behind me.

hodgynd
    Free Member

This happened to a mate a while back ..after an mtb ride ..if the car behind & the HGV he was heading towards hadn’t used their horn..he wouldn’t be here now..

I don’t think you can level the term “idiot” at the driver ..I will readily admit to this having happened to me before for a few brief seconds ..sometimes not too long into a journey and if motorway warning signs are anything to go by ..its not an uncommon problem ” Tiredness can kill ..take a break ” …being a regular overhead warning .

My own car recognises driver tiredness and issues a warning ..

You did what you thought was correct and hopefully your actions may have helped to save not only that drivers life ..but an even bigger catastrophe..

I’m probably in the honk your horn from behind with hazards on to warn others camp ..but as to what is the correct procedure ..I’m not sure if there is one ..

kayak23

Overtaking was a mistake. Keep trouble ahead of you

That’s as maybe, but while there’s moonlight and music, and love and romance, let’s face the M42 and dial (101).

funkmasterp

Overtaking was a mistake. Keep trouble ahead of you as you can always slow down. Calling it in is definitely the right thing to do.

I’m firmly in the get the hell past them as quick as possible camp. If someone is driving unpredictabley the last thing you want is for them to be directly in front of you.

legend
    Free Member

” Tiredness can kill ..take a break ” …

but with irony of service stations with time limits for parking 🙄

binners

Yep, get past them, ASAP.

I’d much rather see an accident happening in my mirrors than directly in front of me, because then you’re at the mercy of whether the people behind you are awake too. You could avoid the crash in front of you then get rear-ended yourself.

Foot down and get them in your mirrors

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Should have called 999 as life was in danger

hodgynd
    Free Member

Having driven behind a number of erratic drivers in my time ..( some may have been tired ..others completely pissed ) ..it can be just as dangerous trying to get past in one piece as you can’t second guess which direction they are going to move in next ..especially on normal roads …although it is noted that this was on a motorway ..

Risky business whatever you decide ..

convert

Another for get past ASAP.

After that I’m not sure you could have done more than you did reporting it.

matt_outandabout

That’s as maybe, but while there’s moonlight and music, and love and romance, let’s face the M42 and dial (101)

*Applauds*

martinhutch

You could report him as a potential drunk driver – weaving, erratic, etc.

Getting pulled over and breathalysed should wake him up a bit.

TBH, I’d probably give him a blast on the horn to at least temporarily return him to consciousness – it might be enough to make him realise his need to pull over for a bit.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Reminds me of my days driving home from night shift, oh how I don’t miss that.

sbob
    Free Member

I think I’d rather have the trouble behind me.

And to do that you have to risk conflict as the OP did.

Stay behind, stay in control.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Stay behind, stay in control.

And get caught up in the inevitable carnage that ensues? No ta.

funkmasterp

On a normal road I’d stay back, find a different route or pull over and report. Motorway, get past as quickly and safely as possible. You have absolutely zero control of the cars behind and to the side of you. Get the hell out of Dodge.

sbob
    Free Member

And get caught up in the inevitable carnage that ensues? No ta.

What inevitable carnage?
    Staying behind allows you to control the distance between you and the other vehicle. If you’re certain he’s going to crash then accelerating to get closer is the last thing you want to do.

DezB
    Free Member

How was it a mistake in this actual case, like in reality though? Doesn’t sound like it was to me.

Plus, you wouldn’t know why someone was “swerving a bit” unless you went past.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Hit the horn and lights from behind.

Dial 101 or 999 if he ignores you.

So if you pass him and then he causes carnage behind you later, you’d be fine with that – having not tried to stop it ?

A couple of weeks ago I had an early evening balloon ride then had to drive up from Hindhead to Preston East, took me 2 large caramel lattes, 2 cans of monster, 3 packets of wine gums, and another medium caramel latte with an extra shot 🙂

Got there at 3.15 but didn’t get to sleep for a while 🙁

sbob
    Free Member

How was it a mistake in this actual case, like in reality though? Doesn’t sound like it was to me.

The clue was in the question:

As I was overtaking him I had to stomp on the gas as he almost swept us from the lane that we were in

Hang back, keep your distance and avoid conflict.

Plus, you wouldn’t know why someone was “swerving a bit” unless you went past.

Not really of any consequence though is it? Curiosity killed the cat, don’t forget.

scuttler

If you need a 2 hour kip in a motorway services you probably shouldn’t have set out. A 20-30 min power nap followed by 5 min fresh air / pee is probably enough for most people who have the sense to pull over in the first place. I’ve done it loads.

scuttler

Staying behind allows you to control the distance between you and the other vehicle. If you’re certain he’s going to crash then accelerating to get closer is the last thing you want to do.

Huh?

Hang around in perpetuity waiting for the carnage where you’re in the middle of an accident (crashed cars in front, high speed vehicles behind) or take advantage of a planned situation executed at the right time (when the gap is wide enough, the driver ‘appears’ to be in temporary control) to remove the risk entirely?

I know what I’d do. Unless you’re saying pull off and stay away (by miles).

philjunior
    Free Member

I think you probably did the right thing. These things can come on suddenly (I remember once having a bit of an issue when it took 45 minutes to do the 3 minutes to the services I’d decided to pull over and nap at), and hopefully he realised before hitting anything and pulled off at the next services.

I tend to just make sure I leave enough space to get past safely.

catfood
    Free Member

I recently had to move to the outside lane to pass a truck that was swerving around between lane one and two, the driver was reading a book. Grrr.

kcal

I’ve dozed off while retiring from a long adventure / challenge day (& night). Dark, motorway, wipers going….

Bolted upright as was about to plough into back of a truck ahead.. adrenaline boost right way, windows open and home with passenger (who’d also nodded off) suddenly very keen on conversation..

Subsequently felt very tired after a long mtb / hike day (thanks @donald) on Ben Alder, this time pulled in to lay-by on A9, out for the count for an hour.

doris5000

I don’t think you can level the term “idiot” at the driver

I would level it, and worse.  The news is constantly full of stories like this:

https://www.expressandstar.com/news/local-hubs/2018/08/19/car-smashes-into-ambulance-after-driver-falls-asleep-at-the-wheel/

I think ‘idiot’ is pretty mild, considering.

I used to do quite a bit of late night motorwaying. It’s a strange old world and (for me) used to involve having the window wide open at 75mph, red bull, service station powernaps and all the rest. But I would rather have spent half the night in a service station than get to that state. It’s like being 3 or 4 pints drunk behind the wheel IMO. Terrible.

Flaperon

I don’t think you can level the term “idiot” at the driver

I think you probably can. Admittedly decision making is impaired when tired but it should be obvious that a tired driver is more dangerous than a drunk driver as there are periods of time when they’re not reacting due to micro sleeps.

Not difficult to pull into services, have strong cup of coffee and then close your eyes for 30 mins.

Edit: doris5000 said it better than me.

kazafaza
    Free Member

Thanks for your answers!

Looking back I should’ve probably slow down, flash the hazards and sound the trumpet but I would not feel safe being stuck between him, the potential carnage and the following cars.

If you’re certain he’s going to crash then accelerating to get closer is the last thing you want to do.

That’s if I was certain he’s going to crash but how could I predict that?  Only found out he was in la la land as I levelled with him.

He was snaky but to put my experience into the context – I only drive since the end of April with just 6k miles on the clock so far, on the motorways about 75% of the time.  Hence the question, need to know how to react in the future, many thanks for all your suggestions!

Oh, and I think there’s no harm calling someone who puts life of other people in danger an idiot  (:

hodgynd
    Free Member

Doris & Flaper ..

I still think you are wrong ..why would you call him an idiot ..bear in mind he was on a motorway and tiredness can creep up on you very suddenly ..

Service areas where I live don’t crop up every 5 miles ..more like every 20 -30 miles ..so how do you know he didn’t intend pulling off the motorway at the next available service area ..or for that matter at the next available exit ?

Your opinion is extremely unreasonable & harsh

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d have called 999 not 101.  People die every day on the roads and stuff like this is exactly how it happens.

And it’s absolutely his fault.  I’ve got very tired when driving, and I bloody well pulled over and took a rest.  I didn’t press on.  I get paranoid about falling asleep because it’s a VERY BIG DEAL so in the end the effort of staying alert and paying attention gets too much and I have to stop.  But then, I try to take driving seriously.

Flaperon

Your opinion is extremely unreasonable & harsh

No, it’s not. Too many people are proud of driving tired. It’s worse than drink driving.

hodgynd
    Free Member

In case it escaped your attention ..he was driving on a motorway ..( you can’t just pull onto the hard shoulder for a rest ) ..how do you know that he didn’t intend doing what you have suggested at the next available opportunity!?

You actually admitted yourself( Molgrips )  that you have become very tired while driving ..me too ..and countless other people ..did your eyes ever close just for a second ..( now be truthful here ) ..do you consider yourself an idiot for driving while tired ..?

If the cap fits ..

Haze

I got very tired on the M1 today, very scary…felt fine when I set off this afternoon, and fine when I joined the motorway.

Half an hour later and I’m flagging with 11 long miles to the next services.

squirrelking
    Free Member

<p>

Reminds me of my days driving home from night shift, oh how I don’t miss that.

</p><p>Aye, except in my case it’s the idiots crossing into my lane scaring the shit out of me that does me in.</p><p></p>

kazafaza
    Free Member

Service areas where I live don’t crop up every 5 miles ..more like every 20 -30 miles ..

Assuming one would travel at 70mph it only takes

Half an hour later and I’m flagging

I guess it’s time to stock up on these little fellas:

oldnpastit

I’d have called 999 not 101. People die every day on the roads and stuff like this is exactly how it happens.

My cousin was in an RTA where the other driver had fallen asleep at the wheel. Apparently it’s not much fun being hit by someone going at 60mph on the wrong side of the road.

hodgynd
    Free Member

I totally agree ..and I’m not for one minute suggesting that you should plough on regardless ..merely that sometimes circumstances dictate that you can’t just stop straight away ( as in being on a motorway miles away from the next exit / service area ) .

spooky_b329

I’ve had a bit of luck getting two sleepy drivers to pull into services.  Remember that a sleepy driver is a whole different scenario from tail gating phone using entitled middle lane hog so you are less likely to end up with an adverse reaction, and more likely embarrassment.

I tend to hang back and go a bit nuts with full beam when they start leaving their lane, if they are not aware I’ll get closer but often in an adjacent lane and use plenty of horn as well.  Once they get near a services I’ll make it obvious they should be taking the slip road.  Generally the realisation they have been clocked tends to wake them up a bit anyway.

I imagine most night drivers have struggled at some point, I reluctantly came off a night call out rota and forfeited about £4000 in retainer and overtime because of the driving distances and tiredness after completing what could be a regular 10hr shift followed by another 8-10hr emergency callout just as my head was about to hit the pillow.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Sleepy drivers – WWYD?’ is closed to new replies.