Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Sixth Element Wheels ceased trading?
  • mulv1976
    Free Member

I’ve just had an email with the following attached:

“Dear Sir/ Madam

Re : Monsun Limited Trading as Sixth Element Wheels (“the Company”)

I regret to advise that the above named Company has ceased trading and is unable to pay its debt due to you or to other creditors. This means that warranty and crash replacement cover is no longer operative. No refunds are available.

As director(s) I/we have sought advice from a licensed insolvency practitioner with a view to having the Company wound up. It became clear early on in our meeting that the Company has insufficient assets to meet its liabilities and is insolvent within the meaning of the Insolvency Act 1986. In addition there are insufficient assets to meet the cost of winding up the Company, either voluntarily or compulsorily.

Given the above I am writing to all creditors of the Company notifying you of the fact that the Company has now ceased trading. While the Company has no assets with which to fund a liquidation we understand that for credit insurance purposes a creditor may wish to have the Company wound up. To this end any petition to wind￾up the Company would not be opposed and we now invite creditors to take steps to wind-up the Company compulsorily.

In the event that no petition is received from a creditor within the relevant period / three months I will write to the Registrar of Companies, attaching a copy of this letter and a list of creditors to whom it was sent requesting that the Company be struck off.

I thank you for your past support.

Yours faithfully

G Stock

Director, Monsun Limited

Trading as Sixth Element Wheels”

honourablegeorge

Twitter and Instagram accounts are gone, website doesn’t seem to be taking orders.

stingmered

Yep. Me too.

though the website looks like you can still buy wheels…?

robholland
    Free Member

Hmm, that’s going to be an expensive replacement and rebuild if you break a rim now. Have to try and find another brand of carbon rim, plus possible spoke change or go alloy.

stingmered

Tbf, already had my money’s worth from two cracked rims… both my clumsy fault.

mulv1976
    Free Member

I’d paid extra for the lifetime cover 😥

mashr

Were they more than just rebranded Chinese rims? If not, might just be a case of tracking down the right Farsports/Light Bicycle/whoever rim

Speeder

Always a shame  – it’s a tough market and maybe they got their sums wrong.  I wouldn’t want to be offering a warranty on any rims, especially carbon.

sharkattack

I thought they were just Light Bicycle rims with big, ugly stickers on. Last time I looked prices seems high compared to other options.

davidmoyesismydad
    Free Member

Youve nailed it .Graham was simply putting stickers on the cheapest light bicycles carbon rims and sticking a huge mark on them

He was over 60% more expensive

They weren’t the best  either

Speeder

davidmoyesismydad Free Member
    Youve nailed it .Graham was simply putting stickers on the cheapest light bicycles carbon rims and sticking a huge mark on them

But he was also taking on all the risk for the customer, providing a warranty, being the UK face of the rims and cutting out the wait associated with ordering direct from China.  Some people are comfortable taking those risks to get a deal and some people aren’t.

Almost all carbon rims (or even products) are made in a factory in China or Taiwan, so how is this any different?

mashr

The only extra risk with dealing with Light Bicycle is the waiting time for a replacement part. What’s light bicycle rim costing these days – £150? You could have spares and still be quids in. Edit: Been a while since I’ve looked at LB prices

The difference is that most wheel manufacturers will have at least some degree of design and test input (e.g. Hunt constantly bang this drum). Buying from the catalogue, buying in bulk for the price break, and whacking on a sizeable margin isn’t such a great USP

frogstomp

What’s light bicycle rim costing these days – £150?

Looking on their website you’re looking at £200-250 for a rim plus VAT and duty on top which makes it around £250-300 per rim.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well it certainly wasn’t because the wheels were too subtle for brand awareness.

I wonder if changing fashions to less-garish aesthetics haven’t helped? But mostly the cozzy livs and evolving market I guess.

Hope buyers haven’t been left out of pocket for ordered wheels.

mashr

Looking on their website you’re looking at £200-250 for a rim plus VAT and duty on top which makes it around £250-300 per rim.

Had a quick look. Normal AM/Enduro 29er rim is $180. Obviously depends on what spec he was bringing in

honourablegeorge

Pretty sure he offered regular and Pro rims, which aligned to LB products

Speeder

And it’s a very different proposition buying from LB now than it was when 6E started – back then it was a couple of web pages and email. Today they have a proper ecommerce site and they’re no longer a cheap option.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.