Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 232 total)
  • Singletrack latest issue WTF
  • fergal
    Free Member

I don’t buy mags very often, but thought I would give this a whirl, with some time to kill in a café, my god never again, tedium, i left it in the café, for some one who really enjoys technical riding in the mountains, there was zero content, bearded weirdo’s drinking ale, no thanks.

ton

nowt rong wi ale lad…..

rOcKeTdOg

Is beer banned in the mountains?

Rubber_Buccaneer

You should have bought MBUK, I hear there will be a free set of Mint Sauce cuff links with the next issue.

hilldodger
    Free Member

I agree, I must have dropped out of the demographic or something, latst issue took longer to download than read
    🙁

Junkyard
    Free Member

for some one who really enjoys technical riding in the mountains, there was zero content

we are not worthy of your awesomeness

Why not volunteer to write a piece for the mag on this issue then?

Northwind

I’m reading what I think is the current mag just now, the amount of cyclocross bollocks in an mtb mag is ridiculous. Not just cyclocross bollocks, but laughably expensive cyclocross bollocks that’ll only be of interest to a minority of crossers never mind mountain bikers. Genuine wtf, it’s like there’s a couple of pages from a different mag shoved in there.

I like ST mag but this is shit. Articles vary from good to bad, that’s inevitable but they should be relevant. What’s next, some trail running shoes, because some people who like mountain bikes also do trail running?

wwaswas

I enjoy riding bicycles.

I find something to enjoy in all the bike magazines I buy.

Maybe the OP should expand their horizons a bit?

clubber
    Free Member

I haven’t read the current mag yet but I usually quite like the CX bollocks (Copyright of Northwind). OK, I still want it to be an mtb mag but many/most of my mtbing mates also ride CX bikes these days for some variety. I guess it all depends but I think that there’s enough crossover. Maybe STW is really targeting ‘offroaders’ than mtbers…

Let’s face it, we all like different things from mags. So long as they’re satisfying their core audience (and since the OP isn’t a ‘P’, maybe they’re doing fine with that…

steve_b77
    Free Member

Lets be honest, you can ride CX bikes on Singletrack, and the magazine is called Singeltrack after all.

almightydutch
    Free Member

Could it be that Singletrack magazine are making an effort to produce content based on the threads we see in here? CX bollocks et al

Drac

You can ride CX bikes in the Mountains of Northumberland too.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

steve_b77 – Member
    Lets be honest, you can ride CX bikes on Singletrack, and the magazine is called Singeltrack after all.

Yes but CX is still bollox, it’s for roadies who think they go off road

mikewsmith
    Free Member

After thought – survey on the front page. CX a total load of ball cocks or not – somebody please feel free to report this post

clubber
    Free Member

Yes but CX is still bollox, it’s for roadies who think they go off road

Well I’ll grant you I do know one or two of those but I’m wondering whether my mates who are very much mtbers but also ride CX bikes should now call themselves roadies. Or should they only be roadies while riding CX bikes (off road) and then revert to being mtbers when they’re mtbing?

Even more confusing, what about the ones who do have and ride road bikes. Are they roadies, mtbers, CXers or what?

And what happens if they ride their mtb on the road or their road bike off the road. Do they change mid ride?

Maybe we should just call them cyclists?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Maybe we should just call them cyclists?

Maybe they should get their own magazine

legend
    Free Member

steve_b77 – Member

“Singletrack Mountain Bike Magazine” unless I’m mistaken

Dirt went through a similar phase a few years back, readship backlash ensued, then it returned to normal and all was good (good being a relative term to the normal level of Dirt journalism)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

(good being a relative term to the normal level of Dirt journalism)

Yep purple text on a black background 🙂

LoCo
    Free Member

CX bike will go round Cwmcarn, even overtook a few people, they weren’t happy and I’m fat (ish) and unfit atm 😉

clubber
    Free Member

Maybe you should 😉

zippykona

There’s only so much you can write about push bikes. A while back ST ran a story of some mtb guru who basically had filed a bit of his pedals off.
    Whereas a bloke who built himself a v twin BSA only got a paragraph in Classic Bike.

Tiger6791

I have to agree with the sentiment.

It’s the only mag I get and I used to read it cover to cover and really enjoy it and look forward to it landing.

Now I flick through don’t see much reason to read it 🙁

kimbers

id like some mint sauce cufflinks if anyones got some spare

Northwind

What you can or can’t do on a cross bike doesn’t matter; it still doesn’t belong in a mountain bike mag, any more than a road bike or a motorbike or a music reviews section.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have a key ring you can borrow

clubber
    Free Member

or poetry 🙂

coopersport1
    Free Member

My subscription ran out a month or so ago, I flicked through the last few editions again just to confirm that renewing was a waste of my money..

chiefgrooveguru

I agree, I must have dropped out of the demographic or something

Me too. I think it’s a good magazine for the target audience but I’m no longer part of it. Partly my riding interests changing, partly the magazine changing. I don’t have the time or money or inclination (delete as applicable) to go on lots of overseas MTBing holidays or on whimsical bikepacking trips – I just mess around in the woods, sometimes link that up with some XC miles, sometimes enter enduro races, sometimes do uplift days.

rocketman
    Free Member

Keep flicking through the mag in Smiths hoping that there will be something interesting in it but it seems to be full of content that would only appeal to the stereotypical STWr as defined here

Simply cannot relate to any of it.

postierich
    Free Member

have they upped the font size?

zippykona

I will always subscribe as a thank you for this forum.
    The advice I got regarding my flooring saved me a monumental **** up.

chakaping
    Free Member

Usual smartarses making dicks of themselves I see.

OP – would you like to see more features about the secret trails at Innerleithen?

hilldodger
    Free Member

I’d sum it up as saying when I first saw STW “back in the day” I used to think “oooh I want to go and ride my bike some more” now I see it and think “I’m glad I’m not like that”

But I agree it’s me not you stw, the mtb audience has seemingly changed from a bodge, grin and ride local mentality to being a recreational leisure activity with matching accessories.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve not bought ST for years now. Had a subscription a couple of years back and I just didn’t find much of the content of any interest. That said, I don’t find any bike magazines worth buying these days.

If they’ve started filling it with CX rubbish then it gives me even less of a reason to buy it. CX, ramblings which make no sense written by their mates etc. No ta.

Mark

Why not volunteer to write a piece for the mag on this issue then?

Please can we stop trotting this one out?
    It’s totally fine to not like the mag AND not consider writing anything better. I hate marmite but no one thinks that’s an invalid stance because I’ve not yet come up with a better recipe.

🙂

brakes
    Free Member

aren’t most CX bikes sold to commuters anwyay, because there is a bit of a pothole at the end of their road that looked at them funny once?

Trailseeker
    Free Member

+1

A link on every page to road.cc yet this forum is constantly littered with road bike threads – I rarely use it these days but used to, my mountain biking has hardly changed in 20+ years.

wwaswas

Oh.

I was looking forward to reading about technical mountain bike riding on the secret trails at Inners, too.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

A while back ST ran a story of some mtb guru who basically had filed a bit of his pedals off.

That was the last mag I read.

I’m not rushing back.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Better recipe for marmite = dog poo on road smeared into a jar.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 232 total)

The topic ‘Singletrack latest issue WTF’ is closed to new replies.