Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Singlespeeders, do you change ratio for the winter?
  • c_klein87

Now its starting to get muddier out there who gears down their singlespeeds? i usually run 32:18 or 34:19 on my 29er’s but in the winter due to the mud its harder going, is it worth going 32:19 in the winter to help maintain long rides but maybe loose overall leg strength? or just mtfu and stay 32:18?

damo2576
    Free Member

No, you just get tougher.

Mugboo

I’m new new to SS but 32:16 was too steep so I’m going 32:18 for winter.

thomthumb
    Free Member

yes. i like to spin and for me that means an extra tooth for winter.

Lionheart
    Free Member

Predominately single speed in winter 32:17 is my magic number on 26″ wheels and 2.35 tyres

Nick

32:17 all year round, although I tend to ride my ss more in the winter anyway (twice in last week, not ridden it for months before then)

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Nope. 32:17 year round. I gear down for long events like d2d so I can keep on spinning.

Wally

Another 32:17 winter SS user.

tazzymtb

35-19 on a 29er will maybe scale down to a 34 on one my the 29er singlespeeds if we get deep snow

ciderinsport
    Free Member

Normally 32:16, but last winter swapped to 32:17 when the mud was really deep, made it a bit easier..

Going to stay 32:16 this winter 😀 but only cause I have a number of new 16 tooth sprockets and I’m too tight to buy any more!

Hornet600
    Free Member

32 – 16 all year round, although do have a 15 still new. Can’t be bothered to change it to be honest. Will try 15 next spring.
    32 – 16 for Thetford winter series if muddy!!

c_klein87

cool doesn’t sound like i’ll be wimping out too much if a gain a tooth!

flashes
    Free Member

32 X 16 on the 26″. 32 X 19 on the Pugsley…..all year

charliedontsurf

No. I don’t change gear, it may only be you changing gear two times a year but it still counts as shifting.

Only kidding… Whatever suits you, crack on.

I just ride harder, not as far. And spend more time by a log fire and a pint of black beer.

Ringo
    Free Member

I used to but then I realised that I didn’t wear a dress and manned up 🙂

derekrides
    Free Member

Mental, you’re all mental, least you could do is fit Hammerschmidt to the front, save you having to get off and push.

69er
    Free Member

32:16 (small wheel on the back). You don’t change gear! 😉

I think you’re worrying about being in the ‘right’ gear, the point of s/s is you’re in the wrong gear most of the time.

charliedontsurf

What 69er said…. And it also sets you up for being mega fit when the trails dry out.

Damn it… Gear up for the winter. Drop a tooth or two.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeeders, do you change ratio for the winter?’ is closed to new replies.