Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 138 total)
  • Singlespeed – Anyone Do That Anymore?
  • tthew

First rule of singlespeed, eventually everyone walks

Yeah, and by that time, the geared riders are riding the same speed as you are walking.

I don’t ride singlespeed just now, because the bottom bracket collapsed on mine last night. 🤬

bigblackshed

I was purely single speed until a few months ago, had been for 13 years, and then my right knee exploded. (Well, I fell off a ladder and my right knee exploded, but before that I’d been struggling with long Covid fatigue symptoms).

Because I’ve got a Stooge I can go back to the SS pure life just as soon as I can ride again. I can’t walk at the moment, so riding is out of the question. I’ve also got the fixie attention whore round town bike.

79-AAEEED-C6-EE-40-C0-97-DA-1-B1-FEA1-C6886

72-A8-FB0-C-7-CC5-4075-B588-4-FD3-B8899-F01

6-E578996-D3-BB-41-E1-9-B07-86255-DCF30-B7

jameso

Yeah, and walking uphill makes me feel like a downhiller again rather than the XCer I really always was.

13thfloormonk

Sadly neglected, I keep getting put off riding it because of ‘injuries’ but I don’t actually believe riding singlespeed is any worse for injuries, it just seems more daunting.

I have a new chain to fit to it so that’s reason enough to dust it off and get out on it again.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I thought it was tell everyone you ride singlespeed at every possibility but particularly at the top of a climb while you are on your hands and knees trying not to die?

I shall adjust my behavious thusly

tthew

I thought it was tell everyone you ride singlespeed at every possibility but particularly at the top of a climb while you are on your hands and knees trying not to die?

That’s not a rule as such, it’s a FACT! 😎

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Thanks all – some good looking bikes too. I just like the simplicity of it all. Think I’ll get the CX bike up for sale…

footflaps

Of all the MTBs I’ve had, my 1FG was ridden the most.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/4Mhnv]Singlespeed heaven[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

kayla1
    Free Member

I read somewhere (probs on here) that it’s the done thing for SSers to casually offer a bag of Jelly Babies round at the top of a climb to their geary companions while trying to not to look like they’re about to cough a lung up 🤣

<wheeze> Jelly baby? </wheeze>

goby

LOL @p7eaven i still have a frame forks and headset of a raleigh apex in my parents loft where i transfered the parts to a orange p7!

jameso

Of all the MTBs I’ve had, my 1FG was ridden the most.

That would an amazing bike as an updated 29er.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

That’s not a rule as such, it’s a FACT!

You make SS riders sound like vegans

p7eaven
    Free Member

@goby lol. PS if it’s near 19” and ever needs a new home I might know a buyer/sanctuary 😋 😗

@footflaps
    I wish I’d never seen that. Actually, it’s OK, think may be cured of my F-phase/obsession. Maybe 😶. If I’d known before that they’d done an SS version then I’d have hunted one down and made it mine. Must weigh virtually nothing?

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve done some digging.

My first SS
    inbred

And my last.

tthew

That’s not a rule as such, it’s a FACT!

You make SS riders sound like vegans

TBF, there’s probably a large overlap on that Venn diagram. 😁

I’m just having a look at that MTBR thread posted up there ☝. This is a particular highlight so far.

i rode with a guy in moab the early 90’s. factory team wrench. strong AF, and also pretty salty.
    he had 8 cogs, a rear der, shifter, etc…
    but all 8 cogs were the same exact 17t.
    he’d shift like crazy, all the time, while putting the wood to the group.
    it was awesome.

footflaps

@footflaps
    I wish I’d never seen that. Actually, it’s OK, think may be cured of my F-phase/obsession. Maybe 😶. If I’d known before that they’d done an SS version then I’d have hunted one down and made it mine. Must weigh virtually nothing?

It was very light and great fun, sadly the Cannondale curse struck and the frame cracked (only notcied after I sold it on STW – obvs I refunded the buyer etc).

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hUPPWA]Cracked chain stay on Cannondale 1FG frame[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Headshoks were a bit of a PITA to service IIRC, very few places would touch them. Was a nice design though.

I only sold the frame as I bought a Ragley Ti frame 2nd hand on STW and SS’ed that.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/c8ZCq1]Ragley Ti Single Speed[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Wasn’t as good as the 1FG though…..

oddnumber
    Free Member

My single speed Charge Cooker. I ride a fixed gear Pompino daily and on club rides.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

i rode with a guy in moab the early 90’s. factory team wrench. strong AF, and also pretty salty.

he had 8 cogs, a rear der, shifter, etc…

but all 8 cogs were the same exact 17t.

I like this guy already.

sandboy

@oddnumber, my Charge is the same but it’s chrome frame and forks, like an 80’s BMX. Lovely Pompino, I used to commute on a fixed wheel many years ago, not ridden fixed for years, might have to build something up.

oddnumber
    Free Member

Is yours a 29er @sandboy ? That’s what I was originally looking for then this appeared.

The Pompino is my favourite bike. It’s so versatile and will do pretty much anything. I’m currently desperately trying to find another that I can leave set up permanently for off road stuff. There was talk of a new Pompino being released but I guess Covid put paid to it :-/

carbonfiend
    Free Member

Absolutely, though only in winter generally. Salsa El Mariachi with a few mods – old XTR cranks and eBAY Chinese carbon fork.

ayjaydoubleyou

^that cooker – perfect lines

rstephenson
    Free Member

@el_boufador how did you do this on your solarismax? Curious to convert mine for an experiment in punishment but as it’s not a ss specific frame just wondering what your setup is? Some kind of tensioner? I’m completely ss clueless btw…

belugabob
    Free Member

As I won’t be in Wales with the usual suspects, this weekend, I will be riding mine locally…

[url=https://flic.kr/p/q9t2MX]Altitude 00 single speed[/url] by belugabob, on Flickr

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Built up my Kona A a good few years ago; dig back through the forum for the history and trials and tribulations of installing a Gates belt drive. I’ve done big rides in the Peaks, Hamsterley, local rides in the North Pennines on it. These days it gets brought out on fine summer evenings, annual trips to Thetford and the like.
    I nearly sold it a few years ago in reponse to a wanted ad on here, but wife pointed out that I put a lot of effort into it, so she woudn’t allow it. I didn’t know she’d noticed….

I bloody love it.

Yes, the photo is the wrong side (especially to show off the belt), the wheels are too small, the reach too short and the saddle is too low (dropped it to get rad in a bombhole IIRC)

frood
    Free Member

Another stooge owner here (mk4). Also run a genesis longitude mk1 with 29×3 front and rear in SS form with jones bars (though looking at the Koga Denhams if I can get hold of a pair)

Finally at this time of year the Genesis Vagabond gets the SS treatment whenever the marathon ice spikes need an outing.

Prior to those it was an Avanti Kiss that did SS duties.

@rstephenson
    something like the surly singleator is ideal for that sort of conversion.

beaker

I’ve had a few SS bikes over the years. Too old now though, I like gears and an FS frame too much! Here are a few of mine from over the years. The Dekerf was my favourite out of all.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mZwEkt]Dekerf ST[/url] by A A, on Flickr" alt="Dekerf" />

honourablegeorge

That little yellow Singular Rooster is awfully pretty. Would love one of those. I should avoid this forum, I bought a bike yesterday.

bedmaker

Me!
    This is my hormetic stressor. Sadly, no lovely clean SS lines. Winter garb and a Lauf fork are very practical, but not bonny!

IA

Still single speeding, started about 2003 and never stopped though always had geared bikes too. Just love the simplicity and the ride quality of the lighter wheel weights.

Anyway, finally lived the dream of getting something bespoke made this year:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2mdc3yx]BLE[/url] on Flickr

sandboy

@oddnumber, yes, mine is a 29er. It’s my go to bike for local riding all year round.

rstephenson
    Free Member

@IA very nice. How is the chain tensioned on that? Is it a special dropout?

rstephenson
    Free Member

Answered my own question by looking at the Starling site.. very neat

belugabob
    Free Member

A stinking cold arrived, this weekend, so no riding for me – not even on the turbo 🙁

easily
    Free Member

I have to say the whole SS thing has passed me by – it seems like a way to make things unnecessarily difficult for yourself. I live in a reasonably flat part of the country but there are still plenty of ups and downs, I change gears all the time.

Why would I deprive myself of this? What am I missing?

IA

To be fair, flat is the most annoying terrain on a SS. Hills, you just ride them quickly or pedal harder. Keeps you fit.

Downhill, you learn to coast and carry speed more.

Flat, if you’re going a decent distance or with geared people is a pain, holding very high RPM hurts a lot more than winching up most hill!

SS makes things _simple_ not difficult. Sounds silly, but there’s less mental load. You just pedal. The bike is quieter, the lighter rear wheel improves handling. The inability to just click to an easier gear to get going, or higher gear to crank faster means you have to carry speed more, be smoother, “flow” more. I find it a “purer” experience. It’s also most of the time not the disadvantage you’d think it’d be vs. gears.

There are some maintenance and reliability advantages too, but this is why I have a SS commuter not the MTB. Though there’s a lot to be said for SS on muddy winter night rides.

hardtailonly

Hell YEAH! Been doing it off and on for 12 years or so. Pretty much weekly for the last 4 years. This is my latest, Ragkey BigWig gone SS.

IMG-20220130-190919-103

IMG-20220130-190919-308

TiRed

My latest. Seriously light (7.5kg) and built up a while ago. Son1 didn’t take to track so I’ve recycled it. The fork is a replacement for the standard Alpina and it saved half a kilo. It’s a 54 and I’m a 56 so plenty of spacers and a decent 120mm stem. It’s also running fixed 3:1 48:16 which is a challenge with my current fitness! The Kona paddy Wagon runs 42/15 for an easier ride. Geometry is 73 degree parallel for both.

The keen eyes will notice that it has only one brake and a stoker nub for the other hand. A change of fork/bars/brake and seat post/saddle and it becomes a TT bike in a matter of minutes. Oh for a fixed wheel disk!

I also have two fixed wheel folding bikes, a track bike and of course a SS Genesis io.

I do have geared bikes as well 😂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 138 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed – Anyone Do That Anymore?’ is closed to new replies.