Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Singlespeed and triathlon
  • Gotama
    Free Member

I’m down to do a half ironman next May so training for that at the moment and mixing up mtb with road bike to get fit for the bike section. When I started training for it I switched my mtb back to gears on the basis that riding singlespeed wasn’t going to be beneficial to my training (assumed logic based on riding technique which worked in my head) but now the mud is here I miss the simplicity. Where I ride its relatively short ups (10 mins or so) on fireroads followed by fun downs rather than pedally flatter stuff so climbing on the SS is typically stand and mash, to an extent, and not much pedalling on the way down.

MTB to road is prob 30:70 at the moment. So, anyone out there that rides SS mtb and does triathlons/geared road stuff? Beneficial riding that way or would be better if both bikes were set up geared?

Stoner
    Free Member

Mrs Stoner is a triathalate (now, she’s moved over from marathon running) and first thing I made her do was go and ride around on a pompino for 6 months as she had plenty of fitness but zero quad muscle power.

This time of year she still does all her training on the pompino. Geared bike goes on the trainer in the shed.

Gotama
    Free Member

Interesting. And power in the quads helps why? Probably a stupid question 😳 . I thought it would be all down to endurance.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

I built up a geared bike last summer after a couple of years just SSing.
    I couldn’t believe how knackering gears were, sitting and spinning.

Gotama
    Free Member

Bump for the night crew….

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed and triathlon’ is closed to new replies.