Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Single speed cyclo cross
  • Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

I know lots of people on here have them, but how many race them? I have in the past, but have been one of a handful in the field…. Is it because there is no specific SS catergorie that puts people off? They have various SS cats at ‘Cross races in the US, with decent numbers, if organisers gave the option, would people enter? Just something I thought about today while watching the Worlds race….im not an organiser, and not thinking of putting a race on, just thought id ask….. 😀

JoB
    Free Member

i’ve raced SSCX and i’ve never been bothered by the fact that there’s no special SS category, it doesn’t matter to me, i’ve raced SS MTB as well and never worried if there’s a special SS category then either as i just lump in with everyone

‘cross fields in certain parts of the US are a lot bigger than ones in the UK so there’s possibly more need for more classes, and the areas where they are tend to be quite singlespeedy as well, and they do like to Try Hard over there as well

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

it never bothered me either, just wondered if there was an option, if people would take it up……

JoB
    Free Member

despite the recent rise in popularity CX racing in the UK is still pretty small, getting people to do it on normal bikes is hard enough without making it more niche 😉

fontmoss
    Free Member

^ What he said. I think there were 4or 5 of us racing ss in the notts derby league and that regularly had more than 130 riders in the male category. I did think about organising a ss category for within the main race but never got round to it. Plus one of the guys was in the top 30/40 overall anyway!

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I remember seeing a vid posted on here a couple of years back of the Three Peaks race back in the day – an old film with a recent commentary?? A load of the riders were on singlespeeds – the theory being that as they were going to end up carrying a lot anyway the weight advantage and lower risk of mechanicals would probably balance out the lack of gears.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Single speed cyclo cross’ is closed to new replies.