• This topic has 26 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by cp.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Silicone esi grips or similar
  • mattyfez

I quite fancy a set of the esi chunky grips but they are quite pricey, over £20 delivered.. Any one know of something similar that don’t have lock rings?

Cheers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Been using the ESI chunkies on both bikes for a couple of years now, lasting reasonably well 20 quid sounds fair

Bagstard
    Free Member

I used to be a big fan of esi grips, but when it rains heavily your hands just slip off them, not confidence inspiring at all. I’m on Raceface half nelsons now and wouldn’t go back.

njee20
    Free Member

I’ve not found that. Quite the opposite – foam used to get really sloppy when wet, even sweating was enough to make Bontrager XXX Lites lethal without gloves, but ESIs have been faultless.

Bagstard
    Free Member

Admittedly it was after an extended period of rain, but I wont use them again.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Rcp silicone grips , available in that there Europe . They are virtually identical . About 7 quid

http://m.bikester.se/376225.html

snownrock

Anyone tried the Superstar ones, they look good value especially with an extra 25% off this weekend

Adam_Buckland
    Free Member

I’ve been using preproduction ones from Raceware for the last year or so and find them great. The silicone is a little softer than ESI so is really mouldable but returns to shape easily. I notice they are not on the website yet but drop them a mail for more info.

Northwind

snownrock – Member

Anyone tried the Superstar ones, they look good value especially with an extra 25% off this weekend

Yeah, didn’t like ’em at all- much stiffer foam, I ended up getting pretty sore hands so I retired them to the commuter but they still didn’t feel very nice on that so now they’re on the wheelbarrow.

davosaurusrex

I’m a big fan of ESI Chunky comfort wise but a wet trip to BPW with an off resulted in mud on the grips, after that they had no grip at all. I nearly fell off the back of the bike a number of times, my hands were just spinning round the grips. Put me right off them.

I got some of these Chromags from Germany, they are the comfiest lock ons I’ve used by far;

Squarewave XL

thesurfbus
    Free Member

Using the Superstar silicon grips and they are really comfy compared to their lockons, have the On-One foam grips as well, but the Silicon are nicer

mattyfez

Found some ESI chunkies in black at charlie teh bike monger in the end..

£17.09 inc delivery so not too bad.

Thanks

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

ESI Grips go on every bike I have ever had, love them.

cokie

I use Raceware silicon grips- they are identical to the ESIs they replaced. They do a chunky and race version. I paid £13.50 at the LBS. They’re a UK company too!

sharkattack

ODI Longnecks on all my bikes. Stuck on with brake cleaner they never budge and I’ve used them in all conditions. The new super soft ones are lovely.

johnnystorm

Superstar or Lifeline Esi-alikes are perfectly decent. :mrgreen:

ac282

The superstar ones aren’t. No support felt like grabbing a bare handlebar.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got the superstar ones on my HT and to be fair they’re fine. No hand problems on Long or short rides, and I mean like 100km off road kinda long rides not a couple of laps of Afan.

carlphillips
    Free Member

i have the esi on my dh bike aka “nhs grips”
    great grips reduced my fatigue amd arm pu,p in the alps and never got slippery even in full on all day downpours

mattyfez

My esi chunky grips arrived today.. Any fitting tips? They come with limited instructions.. Wet the bars and pull them on?

carlphillips
    Free Member

wet mine and bars with isopropol alcohol push on and leave well alone for a night, others have used hairspray/window cleaner etc all to good effect

CheesybeanZ

Hair spray or window cleaner , leave to dry overnight and the jobs a good un.

welshfarmer

Blow them on with a compressor is my method of choice

Northwind

Same here. But if you don’t have a compressor, then do it on rails. Get some cable ties, put them through the grip so that they’re all round the inside, slide it on then slide the ties out. I use 4 or 5 wide ones, makes it dead easy

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Window cleaner or meths works well, the leave 24hrs is the key part to them staying in place though

tazzymtb

Sounds daft, but antibacterial hand gel/cleanser. Grips slip on easy (even the super long versipns for jones bars) and becasue it evaporates really quickly once they’re on they are stuck on like poo to a blanket.

cp

I use neat car screen wash, works well.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Silicone esi grips or similar’ is closed to new replies.