Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Silent running…
  • karlp
    Free Member

Sad but true I prefer my bikes to run silent.
    Is there an mtb brake where the pads sit further away from the rotor than is the norm?
    I’m keen to avoid the grinding sound of pads/mud/rotor than can be a constant with UK winter riding.
    Obviously it wears the pads too!
    Thoughts?
    I know that a properly centred rotor helps.

Karl.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Sounds as though sir may have avids or formulas ?

onewheelgood

My Shimanos don’t do this – 2 sets of XTs (current and previous models) and one Deore (current).

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Shimanos and Hopes are best for this.

swillybey
    Free Member

Shimanos for sure.

dobo
    Free Member

avids are terrible for this, shimano XT are pretty good for clearance but i still got a little on todays ride on XT, was plenty of mud though.

molgrips
    Free Member

No, not really. A bigger gap means more pad movement which means less leverage and less power. Unless maybe there is a servowave type affair with Shimano.

It’s only a certain mix of mud and water that does this. If you go through a puddle you can stop and blow the water film out of the caliper, this works and also reduces wear a lot. Obv only worth it for the occasional big puddle…

karlp
    Free Member

Molgrips my OCD need for silent running will now inc. BJs on the calipers, thx for that!!!!

My FB has basic Shimano so an upgrade to XT or SLX is now required.
    Thanks for info guys.

fd3chris
    Free Member

And I thought it was about the classic film …….

Tracker1972
    Free Member

fd3chris, me too! Awful, cheesy nonsense. Had me crying like a baby (although I was about 10 at the time, sneakily watching it after bedtime) and loved it ever since. This isn’t about the film though, so I’ll just have to wait for another thread…

dudeofdoom

^^^^^^Me too

Thought it was gonna be about Huey Duey an Louie…..

dobo
    Free Member

i did too.. i bet the buggys in silent running had servowave brakes

talking of classic scfi, i really have the urge to watch forbidden planet..

takisawa2

Avid BB7’s.

belugabob
    Free Member

+1 for properly set up shimanos.

P.S. the film was on last week.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Avid BB7s with speed dial levers – gap can be much larger than with hydros. The speed dial levers let you have a lot of leverage at the levers, allowing the big gap. That is the main advantage of BB7s.

epicyclo

Drum brakes run silent.

And if you’re not trail_rat, they are more than adequate. 🙂

Tracker1972
    Free Member

belugabob – Member
    +1 for properly set up shimanos.

P.S. the film was on last week.

Aw shucks. I have it on DVD but a nice HD recording to really revel in the quality would have been nice…

Oh, my Shimano XTR (years old caliper) with XT lever is by far my quietest brake, followed by Tektro Auriga Comp (Simano copy) then my beloved Avid Elixir R’s.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Silent running…’ is closed to new replies.