Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • SICK to death of our kids school begging for money!!!
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Do i not get shafted for enough tax each month, am i subsidising all the chav kids whose parents spend their money on fags and cider? Its every other week at the minute, sponsor this sponser that, workshop donation etc etc!
    Anyone else??

headfirst
    Free Member

A good reason why you can't cough up? Unemployed, low income,etc? If yes, fair enough. If not put up and shut up. It's your kid's education ffs.
    And 'subsidising chav kids' reduces the chances of them becoming chav grown ups.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I remember a few years ago some **** said Education Education Education! My children and their education mean a lot to me but we spunked over £100 the other month on what? Nothing of any educational value IMHO. I will not let my children miss out on anything but its starting to take the pish!!!

carlosg
    Free Member

And 'subsidising chav kids' reduces the chances of them becoming chav grown ups.

I disagree with that , it's more likely to make them think they can continue being subsidised for the rest of their lives.

headfirst
    Free Member

100 quid does seem a lot…school trip or something?

Nick

As an active member of the 'Friends' of our local primary school.

We raise money to do things like pay for coaches to take the kids to the theatre, or have an artist or author spend the day at the school. We've paid for an awning over part of the play area. We've bought additional books and paid for swimming lessons and after school clubs.

I think it's great and the kids seem to get a lot out of it.

Not sure what your problem is tbh, it's right that the parents of the kids help or contribute for the extras, you don't explain what it is you've been asked to contribute to?

headfirst
    Free Member

so carl, keep 'em unskilled and unemployable??

carlosg
    Free Member

Where did I say anything about keeping them unskilled and unemployable? , what I said was if they can see other childrens parents having to pay for school trips/workshops ect and they get it for free then they are probably more likely to rely on that state aid from a much earlier age and get the (lazy) mindset ingrained.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Can and worms! I applaud anyone who raises funds for schools, our school does the same for the pantomime trip at christmas etc. But just lately its actually stuff thats being held in school, and during lessons. Tonights example from the school bag was a greek workshop! Last months was an egyptian workshop which consisted of a coloured in picture coming home, two weeks ago it was 10 quid to visit a place thats actually free to get in. Like i said i would never let my children miss out, but it seems never ending at the moment!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

wrightyson – Member

Do i not get shafted for enough tax each month

Not enough to get all these "extras" for free. Want it all – pay dutch or Scandinavian tax levels

am i subsidising all the chav kids whose parents spend their money on fags and cider?

Only thru taxation – I doubt very much your contributions subsidise directly any other kids in the school.

wrightyson
    Free Member

@TJ i can assure you, and from a very good source they do.
    Oh and i like the use of the word contributions. Almost makes it sound as tho you don't "have" to pay.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You put it as a question in your first post – and yes it is a contribution – you do not have to pay these extra amounts.

So you are saying you are directly subsidising poor kids? In that an excursion costs £5 but you pay £10 so someone else does not pay?

I find that very surprising

sc-xc

two weeks ago it was 10 quid to visit a place thats actually free to get in.

and they walked there with no extra supervision?

Nick

Wrightyson, suggest you join the parent-teachers association/'friends of' or apply to be a governor, that way you can help and influence the way the school uses its funds.

We hold our monthly meetings in the local pub, I'll be going for a ride beforehand and turn up covered in mud 🙂

avdave2

Only thru taxation – I doubt very much your contributions subsidise directly any other kids in the school.

Not really true TJ. Our children's school often asks for voluntary donations to take part in activities. All children are allowed to take part but it's entirely paid for by those willing and able to pay. I've no objection to our contribution helping those unable to pay but I don't really like subsidising the unwilling. The activities only go ahead if enough people are willing to collectively pay enough for all the children to take part.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

Schools are NOT ALLOWED to profit on any trips or workshops – you pay what it costs for your child.

Nick

The activities only go ahead if enough people are willing to collectively pay enough for all the children to take part.

That's not right, I'd never agree to that, everyone gets subsidised the same amount (i.e. we pay for the coaches in their entirety for a school trip).

midlifecrashes

If you want chapter and verse, it's in the 1996 Education Act, s445 onward IIRC, there is a simplified version here:

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/docbank/index.cfm?id=8145

We have had a pretty active PTA and it has bought lots of good stuff over the years. Our charging policy is pretty simple though. We don't charge for teaching, whether it takes place in the school or somewhere else, the school has a budget for that sort of thing. All kids get two or three trips (always curriculum related) a year, including residentials for y4,5,6. Costs the budget a bit less than twenty grand out of a budget just over a million. Worth every penny too.

project
    Free Member

Perhaps if the teachers worked a 37 hour week and every week like most of us, then there would be cash in the kitty to spend on the kids, and if the teachers worked full time they would need less of them so more money for the kids and also less pensions to pay when they become so stressed they retire early, and get another job.

Oh and another thing why cant the schools and facilities we pay for be used every day instead of being closed every weekend, and for long holidays,that would help subsidise the kids activities outside of school.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Do i not get shafted for enough tax each month

I have no idea. Obviously.

But if it's that much, why aren't your kids in a posh school away from all the chav kids ?

And if you can't afford to move to another area, or send your kids to private school, then get off your fat arse and get a proper job – which earns proper money. And then maybe you will be able to take proper care of your kids. Instead of sitting there whingeing.

HTH

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

many are

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

project – Member

Perhaps if the teachers worked a 37 hour week and every week like most of us,
    You would need an awful lot more teachers – most work significantly more hours than 37.

Oh and another thing why cant the schools and facilities we pay for be used every day instead of being closed every weekend, and for long holidays,that would help subsidise the kids activities outside of school.

They can be and sometimes are – but you need staff to staff them and to pay for energy usuage

sc-xc

perhaps if the teachers worked a 37 hour week and every week like most of us

Too right! Most of the teachers I know work far longer than that per week.

midlifecrashes

project if you would like to PM me I'll see if I can fit you in for a booking. You'll have to work around three football clubs, blood donors, two churches, SureStart, mums and tots, Police Athletic club, a dance school, neighbourhood watch meetings, elections, amateur dramatic club, ward surgery, night classes, Brownies and Guides and BikeAbility in the summer. Oh and there will likely be a teacher around working late to let you in.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

A good reason why you can't cough up? Unemployed, low income,etc? If yes, fair enough. If not put up and shut up. It's your kid's education ffs.

utter tosh. If someone is underpriveleged for whatever reason it should never be the responsibility of the parents of another child.

project
    Free Member

School opposite me, they arrive between 9.00 and 9.15 qnd a lot leave about 10.am then they all go home at 15.00, and they have breaks in between.

Where as last week the road gang worked from 08.00 to 20.00 every day to replace the road surface.

jonb
    Free Member

Think yourself lucky, I don't have kids but get shafted by the tax man to pay for everybody elses. Bunch of scroungers the lot of you! 😉

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

project – what great valuable job do you do? sperm donor?

albino
    Free Member

Funnily enough I'm a teacher and have just finished my marking, SEN reports and ongoing assessment work for tonight and I come on to find Project's interesting comments. I was also in school at 7.45 this morning.
    I've worked in the pub industry, the building industry and in adult support services and I can honestly say that teaching is the most demanding of all of these…easily! In my NQT year, even when taking our wonderful holidays into account, I calculated that I had actually earned less than minimum wage as an hourly rate.
    I'm sure there are plenty of cases where people have it much worse but the idea that teachers have an easily life is just misconceived.
    As for parental contributions, we ask for £1 per week which covers all but the Y5/Y6 residential. I work in a very deprived area and all the parents regularly and happily contribute. We also provide after-school clubs for a nominal cost – 25p per day. All are run by teaching staff.
    So we're not such a bad lot Project.

project
    Free Member

GeeWavetree – Member
    project – what great valuable job do you do? sperm donor?

Posted 1 minute ago # Report-Post

Tried it a few times, pays ok, but a pain getting it in the bottle,poor aim i think.

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

but you seem so proficient at it!

BenjiM

Project, are they teachers or support staff? Surprisingly there are more than just teachers who work in a school. Cleaners, TA's, Bursars etc. My missus was a part time teacher last year. She probably worked about 60 hours a week, as when she finished in school teaching, she helped with after school club and on her half days she worked as a care assistant.
    That's when she wasn't planning lessons or marking. Which she's sat in the front room doing right now, marking at 10 pm, after starting at 8am and finishing at 5.30pm.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I don't have kids but get shafted by the tax man to pay for everybody elses.

Ditto.

I am sick and tired of people expecting the tax payer to always foot the bill.

Want to have kids ? Well face up to your responsibilities and cough up. I'm prepared to contribute towards the basic education of other people's kids, but anything above that, then they can pay for it themselves.

project
    Free Member

Albino the parents PAY a quid a week , when they alos pay tax and council tax, how much do teachers actually pay towards the running of the school as in taking a pay cut or makeing a donation…………..

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

Project – off to bed you are making a **** of yourself

jon1973
    Free Member

Do i not get shafted for enough tax each month, am i subsidising all the chav kids whose parents spend their money on fags and cider?

I pay the same taxes you do, and I don't have kids. You could argue that I shouldn't be subsidising your kids.

Those chav kids deserve the same chances your kids do. They don't choose their parents.

albino
    Free Member

Project –
    Would you prefer it if schools didn't offer trips and after school clubs?
    How much do you pay to your employer to help with their running costs btw?

soobalias
    Free Member

diddums?

BigJohn

Mrs BigJohn is a Year 4 Teacher and Science Co-Ordinator at a very successful primary school in a very nice area just close to Cannock Chase.

Because they have no kids on free school meals they get no additional funding (the funding is based on the proportion of underprivileged pupils) so when she had the opportunity to get a fantastic science professor to do a really entertaining days demonstrations for £100 instead of his usual £400 she jumped at it. Because they've no spare cash she asked the top 3 classes (who would all be seeing him) for a quid each as a voluntary contribution. One 10-plate BMW X5 driving mother wrote in asking if this had been put out to tender, as it seemed rather a large amount.

We are enjoying compiling our response.

Punk_Drummer
    Free Member

It does seem that schools are after your money in some way or another usually x amount every month for a disco here, wear what you want day there, easter bonnet parade. etc I don't mind paying it as in the long run it is usually spent on something good for the school. in the case of my school it is usually something outside the norm eg my daughters school had a circus school visit for a day and everybody learned to circus stuff, a lot of parents thought this was just spunking the day away goofing off (the pushy parents who think teachers are employed to just look after THEIR little Darling) I thought it was great as it when you actually looked at it the teachers were also using this to support learning (how many balls could you juggle, what was the total distance walked on the tight rope of the class etc)
    In the end it gave those 6 years old that can't do calclus the chance to shine if you no what I mean.
    Teachers know what they are doing they have spent years in training and any teacher worth their salt can find a learning oppurtunity in almost anything.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘SICK to death of our kids school begging for money!!!’ is closed to new replies.