Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Sick of ridining in a bog…….what to look for in a road bike?
  • yoshimi

Getting to the point where riding my local trails isn’t much fun. Well it is fun for a while but theres only only so much sliding on mud/carrying through mud I can be bothered with. Fine at weekends but on a Tuesday night quick spin it seems hardly worth it.

So thinking about getting a road bike as well but as I’ve never had one and don’t know anything about them where do I start?

Cheers

FuzzyWuzzy

Get one that fits, the rest depends on your budget…

tomhoward

Get one that fits, the rest depends on your budget…

This +lots.

Go to a bike shop for a proper fitting, not just ask a few randoms on teh internetz.

soobalias
    Free Member

middle of september now, so….

full length mudguards and plenty of reflective bits and lights and opt for larger tyres as the roads are only gonna get worse for the next six months.

if you are not bothered about all out speed, consider something a little versatile/comfortable (cx, tourer, audax)

fisha
    Free Member

Can I suggest you look at CX bikes as well as all out road bikes ? CX area good balance of being able to roaded up with skinny tyres but also have the flexibility of larger tyres for the off road stuff.

I find my CX is a lot softer, smoother ride than my all out road bike too ( which is a very stiff frame )

bails

I’d say go for a CX too. Something with disc brakes, space for proper mudguards and wider tyres will be great for year round bog-dodging.

I sold my carbon road bike (Ribble Sportive) because it wasn’t appreciably quicker or ‘better’ than the Boardman CX I bought for winter commutes.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Welcome to the Darkside

Lost my phone with your number – send me an e-mail and I will go to an actual bike shop with you etc

Vortex bike may be the right size for you to try ??
    PS Get a SS mtb for the winter 😀

Kryton57

bails – Member
    I sold my carbon road bike (Ribble Sportive) because it wasn’t appreciably quicker or ‘better’ than the Boardman CX I bought for winter commutes.

It wasn’t or you weren’t? Distinguish between the two. I’m a recreational biker (2-3 times per week), for fun and the occasional sportive, no communiting but as I like to keep fit/challenged, am always in a rush and wanted to be competitive in sportives I bought a bianchi sempre. My personal circumstance mean short sharp fast rides or fast medium lenght rides are the order of the day (mostly), so I wanted a bike whereby I could pretend to be Bradley once in a while, improve my fitmess and speed. 😀 I wouldn’t ride in the pouring rain and don’t mind getting damp if it rains mid short-ride so ‘guards etc werent a consideration.

What I’m trying to say is my decision would have been the opposite of bails, although of course, its not about the bike….

cuberider
    Free Member

+1 for fit. There is a formula you can follow to get the correct frame size but it’s also important to sit / ride / test to make sure it’s comfortable.

I found most shops unwilling to let me ride a test model but rode on a turbo for a few mins. Very poor substitute but better than not trying at all.

Some shops will include a bike fit as part of the deal. A good idea – especially if you plan to do big miles. Can sort pedals and cleat position at the same time.

Should be a few deals around at this time of year. The weather hasn’t helped sales so shop around.

Mine is a carbon racer – Scott Addict R3. Really love the way it zings along. Fast and light. A friend bought a Cube Agree which he loves. Very well spec’d for the money.

bails

It wasn’t or you weren’t? Distinguish between the two.
    …..
    What I’m trying to say is my decision would have been the opposite of bails, although of course, its not about the bike….

At that point I was doing a 35 mile round trip commute 3 times per week and for the same perceived effort each leg took about 2 minutes longer on the CX. It was also a lot stiffer and more ‘secure’feeling that the road bike.

It wasn’t a choice between buying one or the other. I had them both at the same time, planning on keeping the Ribble for summer and the CX for winter, but I preferred the CX and the loss of speed was so minimal as to not make any difference to me, so I sold the Ribble.

If the OP wants a fair weather bike and wants to get into racing then I probably wouldn’t suggest a CX. But as something just to get out on and put some miles in while the trails are a mess, I reckon it’s a good bet.

Edit: I flipped the stem and put 25mm Conti GP4Seasons on mine to ‘roadify’ it. It would have been a lot slower with the nobblies on.

D0NK

road riding and fag breaks are incompatible plus you don’t get to pinball down tricky tarmac descents, not sure it’s for you TBH

😉

Kryton57

If the OP wants a fair weather bike and wants to get into racing then I probably wouldn’t suggest a CX. But as something just to get out on and put some miles in while the trails are a mess, I reckon it’s a good bet.

A very good point.

mudsux
    Free Member

Without going down the CX route for all-weatherness you could look at the Giant Defys which seem very popular and review well. They also take full mudguards (albeit Giant ones) so would easily double as a winter trainer.
    Defys are also plentiful on the secondhand market – ebay, gumtree etc.
    I wouldn’t spend vast amounts of money on a road bike to ride in all-weathers.
    Having said that, a turbo trainer and occasional dry winter days have been fine for me. People seem to think there are no dry days in winter – but living down south – there are loads.

davegreene
    Free Member

I recently got a ridgeback radium for commuting. Great for winter as it comes fitted with proper full length SKS mudguards. Most roadbikes don’t have the caliper clearance for full mudguards.

Basic groupset, carbon fork. Can be had for about £465 if you look around.

ahwiles
    Free Member

they are more or less all the same – get one that you think looks good.

things to look for: aluminium frame, carbon forks, shimano tiagra, room for mudguards.

d45yth
    Free Member

Man up!

yoshimi

CX bikes, theres an idea – just called in Hafords those Boardman CX bikes looks the business! Had to get out of there quick before the wallet came out but in all seriousness, I think it’ll be an ebay purchase – the Giant Defy can be had relatively cheap…as Donk says, I’m not convinced it’ll be for me so don’t want to blow my wad!

Johnnie, I’ll email you my number later, long time no speak – and Donk, I’m still on the fags but my other smoking habit is long gone – you wouldn’t believe how productive I am nowadays:)

So my thoughts are – much like MTBs there aren’t many truly awful road/cx bikes about so just get something cheap that fits and take it from there:)

Thanks guys

Kryton57

ahwiles – Member
    they are more or less all the same – get one that you think looks good.

things to look for: aluminium Carbon frame, carbon forks, shimano tiagra Ultegra, no room for mudguards.

FTF Southerns and “proper” roadies. 😀

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Sick of ridining in a bog…….what to look for in a road bike?’ is closed to new replies.