Home Forums Bike Forum Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..

• This topic has 2,850 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,561 through 2,600 (of 2,851 total)
  • Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..
  • dknwhy

I think that a hooped bivvy offers the worst compromise – heavy, not enough room to do anything but sleep and more faff than a normal bivvy bag.
    If you want something bug proof look at something like the Lunar Solo or a Terra Nova tent. If you want lightweight and aren’t bothered about bug netting, a bivvy bag and tarp will be your lightest option.
    Everything is a compromise really…..

Houns

I have a bivvy bag, and I have lightweight (ish, for the amount of money I want to spend) 1 man tent. Was considering getting a tarp or going for one of those above

Houns

That is listed at 1.1kg

noltae
    Free Member

That’s not the case that a bivy and a tarp will weigh less a hooped bivy – since when did 1 dac pole weigh more than even the lightest tarp?

dknwhy

@noltae – check out: Ultralight outdoor gear

I hear what you’re saying but there are some really light products around….

JohnClimber
    Free Member

From this weekends, wet North Wales beach bivi ride
    4 x fatty’s

noltae
    Free Member

I have more hiking/expedition kit than cycling specific touring kit – I personally.question all this strapping everything but the kitchen sink to ones bike – How much weight do you want to carry on your bike tours? Its pretty much a given you’ll be aiming to go relatively light – under 8kg is really easy to cycle with with just a decent fitting backpack – but I know kit junkies don’t want to hear this right?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Anyone use this type of thing? Your thoughts??

Yes, I do..
    Got my old work one, I like it.. Ok, so my tent weighs less, but yeah, I like it.

Houns

That’s good enough for me

scotroutes

I have a Rab bivvy bag with a mesh section at the entry. No pole though. FWIW bivvies and tents both have their advantages which have nothing to do with weight.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

noltae – Member
    I have more hiking/expedition kit than cycling specific touring kit – I personally.question all this strapping everything but the kitchen sink to ones bike – How much weight do you want to carry on your bike tours? Its pretty much a given you’ll be aiming to go relatively light – under 8kg is really easy to cycle with with just a decent fitting backpack – but I know kit junkies don’t want to hear this right?

Far comfier and has a surprisingly good effect on traction, particularly on wee short rocky ups. I also enjoy the freedom of not having a big pack on, especially on a 3 dayer. With everything in small compartments on the bike, I can get to everything pretty quickly too.

Chew
    Free Member

I know kit junkies don’t want to hear this right?

I have more hiking/expedition kit than cycling specific touring kit

😉
    You can carry all of that weight on your back, but after a few hours it will become uncomfortable as you back becomes sweaty, the straps dig into you shoulders and the extra weight gets transferred through your backside over every bump. The only bikepacking specific kit is the luggage (frame bag etc). The rest is general outdoors stuff.

DrP

Here’s my mostly-DIY set up..

See how I made/use most of it in my blog

DrP

DoctorRad
    Free Member

I have a bivvy bag, and I have lightweight (ish, for the amount of money I want to spend) 1 man tent. Was considering getting a tarp or going for one of those above

I’d be looking for a Saunders Jetpacker / Jetpacker Plus on eBay. They usually go for about £80, and are a true 1-2 man tent @ 1.25kg.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I’ve never used one but the hooped bivi bags always seem like they are not worth it unless you are camping somewhere with really extreme conditions.

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Hi all its been a while since I posted on this thread but have finally got out for a bit more bike packing.
    I have picked up a few more bits of kit since my last trip, most notably a Rab down sleeping bag (half price) and a Revelate designs sweet roll bar bag (from another forum member)
    Both items made a difference and were very good. The sweet roll is really well secured, doesn’t bounce around at all.

The trip was last week, while on holiday in Scotland visiting family I managed to sneak away for a couple of days.
    The route was a Scottish coast to coast from Ullapool to Adrgay.
    Not very technical but good riding across some fantastic countryside with big views in great weather.
    I caught a bus from Inverness to Ullapool then road across to Croick, and down the road to Ardgay. Then road from there on the very quiet main road south pitching my tent on the east coast near the Glenmorangie distillery. I stopped in to visit family in Tain the following day before catching the train back to Inverness. Really enjoyed the trip. 😀

joshvegas
    Free Member

Bit desperate starting the fire with whisky no?

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Believe me not a drop was wasted!

scotroutes

Looks mint. I need to do more “relaxing by the fire with some whisky”.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member

This.
    Very much, this…

scotroutes

I’m up for it when you are Nick!

scotroutes

Latest update. 4/4 for bivvy-a-month.

http://www.blog.scotroutes.com/2014/04/count-me-out.html

stevemakin

nice words Colin, and pretty much sums up why I’ll never do these trips as a race, far too nice a place to have your head down looking at your stem 🙂

Houns

Nick/Colin me too

Anyways, the bivvy I posted above has now shot up in price, almost three times 😮

So, tarps, buying ex military, DPM = naff of not?

scotroutes

DPM doesn’ bother me but check the weight of these things

Houns

Yeah, looking at eBay at the moment, no weights listed, shall contact the sellers

Duffer
    Free Member

Yeah, looking at eBay at the moment, no weights listed, shall contact the sellers

I’ve just weighed mine for you; 1004g including it’s stuff sack.

They’re very overbuilt, with loads of strengthening points all over them. This is so they can be folded in half and used as a stretcher if needs be (although it’s bloody hard to carry someone on one!).

Houns

Cheers duffer.

scotroutes

Teetosugars – Member – Quote

scotroutes – Member

This.
    Very much, this…[/quote]
    Northern England or maybe coastal Dumfries-shire? June/July?

Teetosugars
    Free Member

So, tarps, buying ex military, DPM = naff of not?

Used to be usefull, kinda went with the job.. But there’s far better/ lighter kit out there.

Northern England or maybe coastal Dumfries-shire? June/July?

Yes, we must sort…

acehtn
    Free Member

Ex mil stuff needs research before buying.

Some of the curent kit is quite light (value for money) but you can go lighter at cost.

Seen some tarp/bivi/ponchos in the 400-600 gram area, i still have my old 1980’s MOD poncho, weighs in about 1 kilo, my Terra Nova tent which sleeps 2 in midge free dryness luxury is about 1.3kg at minimum weight.
    Haven’t handled a current spec MOD Poncho, but as already stated they are tough and multi use, my old version doubles up for stretcher and bodybag duty, can be poppered up one side for a crude bivi bag affair but non breatheable. Keep the nuclear fallout off you as you sleep 🙂

boblo
    Free Member

Apologies in advance, the search function on here is dire…

Anyone using Alpkit’s luggage (seat pack, framebag, handlebar harness)? Any feedback please as I’m thinking if diving in head first and retiring my 1980’s Karimor panniers…

faz083
    Free Member

I have one of the centre triangle frame bags, very good bit of kit, well made and relatively cheap.

Chew
    Free Member

Alpkit Luggage – Hear positive things about the frame bags and the seat packs. Mixed reviews on the handlebar harness.

postierich
    Free Member

As you can see from the pic I am a Alpkit fanboi
    Harness is fine just a bit of a faff to attach but once its on its fine kit seems well made!
    GOPR0062 by Richard Munro[/url], on Flickr
    Rich
    DSCF3559[1] by Richard Munro[/url], on Flickr
    DSCF3492[1] by Richard Munro[/url], on Flickr

boblo
    Free Member

Any ‘real life’ feedback? Would you buy again? Any ‘bollux, I wish ……’? Ta.

postierich
    Free Member

err!!! it works only 6 months old would I buy again hope not!

vorlich
    Free Member

V pleased with my alpkit gear, great value.

Chew
    Free Member
    Houns

Yep would buy again, waiting for some bits to get back in stock.

Colin/Nick. Yes, sounds good. Will need to book time off ASAP as always won’t know shifts until a week before

Viewing 40 posts - 2,561 through 2,600 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..’ is closed to new replies.