Home Forums Bike Forum Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..

• This topic has 2,850 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by NZCol.
Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 2,851 total)
  • Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..
  • stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Wait until they’re not on your head but elsewhere :wink:

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Happy 40th Stu for next week

Can we have a STW party????

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

No ‘cos I’m still antisocial :D

EDIT: Saying that though, it was Percy the llamas 16th birthday last week so everyone had extra carrots and a chorus of happy birthday, suppose I can’t be that antisocial :wink:

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Was Rio Ferdinand upset he lost the captaincy though??

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

He got extra carrots too … I’m amazed you remember their names.

slugwash
    Free Member

Was Rio Ferdinand upset he lost the captaincy though??

Oh dear! It looks like I’ll have to grab my doss sack and a tin of beans and head off into the hills to avoid any football talk.

Crikey, I hate the game It don’t belong on a camping thread :wink:

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Don’t worry slugwash … the Llama is called Ferdinand after the prince not the tosser, just people assume it must be the tosser. I also hate football with a passion.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I thought it was an awesome name for your llama :D

just one of those random things you remember from time to time Stu :D

Don’t worry slugs we’ll get back on track

valleydaddy
    Free Member

will we break the 1000 post mark tonight?????

so what is everyone shopping for tonight I picked up one of these today as I needed a mug/bowl/cup and thought as it folds flat it will go in the frame bag really well.

http://www.ellis-brigham.com/camping/sea-to-summit/253192/x-mug

valleydaddy
    Free Member

will we break the 1000 post mark tonight?????

not going to happen tonight :(

IanB
    Free Member

971 – 20th prime number

IGMC

edit – on a more serious note, I’ll post up some pics of my Caldera Clone in a mo – just finishing it off

IanB
    Free Member

OK then, serious (foil) hat on now: Caldera Clones.

I googled them and found a long and detailed thread on Outdoors Magic here[/url]. I emailed the guy who worked out a template to create them and he sent me the latest version. It uses PostScript language, which for PC’s you’ll need to download some (free) software to open it up. I use a Mac, which conveniently turned the .ps file into .pdf without me having to do anything special.

I fiddled around with a couple of paper versions first to try out the various parameters of the template:
    [/url]
    Caldera Clone – paper trial[/url] by ianbarrington[/url], on Flickr

Once I was happy with the a template, I sourced some 0.15mm alu foil from here, and then printed and cut out out my final template:
    [/url]
    Caldera clone ready to be cut out[/url] by ianbarrington[/url], on Flickr

After about half an hour I had this, though I still need to add the vent holes:
    [/url]
    Completed Caldera Clone[/url] by ianbarrington[/url], on Flickr

The final version I produced had a series of fissues on it that interlock, so I can split it down into two parts, roll it up and pop it in my pan, thus:
    [/url]
    Caldera Clone packed[/url] by ianbarrington[/url], on Flickr

It weighs 21g, which is a 5g lighter my the other one, but looks more stable and more effective at excluding drafts.

Overall it was all a bit of a faff, but I’m quite pleased with it. It cost me £7 instead of £35 for a proper Caldera one. However, I suspect that the Caldera ones would be a thicker grade foil, as you have to handle this stuff a little more carefully. Because of this, I think it will be susceptible to picking up small creases or folds through use, but we’ll see.

As ever, you learn a lot doing the first one, and there is only enough foil supplied to do one, even for a small pan such at the Tibetan 550.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Very nice job Ian, it’ll be interesting to see what effect it has on boil times. If it works well I anticipate a world foil shortage :wink:

valleydaddy
    Free Member

that’s great Ian, I like the idea of the wind shield as in the link you put up, but in my quest for weenieness I guess it would be too heavy :?

Got my alpkit today so my smaller gear is coming together.

I also remembered I had one of these

http://www.trekmates.co.uk/569/Trekmates-Bivvy-Bag.html

that I had from TK Maxx last year reduced to £5

only 366g so may come on WRT if the weather is looking good to reduce weight and bulk.

Do you lot use these on tarps

http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?target=product&product_id=16304&category_id=250

as in this

I think it would be a good idea, as it will speed tarp set up, as you can just move the clips to the right place and lash it down. No fumbling around undoing knots etc.

Next thing I need to practice my knot tying :-)

stevemorg2

I hope there’s room for two under that Tarp pete – you know how pissed off I get when there’s no space!

John_Rowlands
    Free Member

:( Try again…
    Looking at tarps its a fight off between the Alpkit rig and the integral siltarp, anyone use a siltarp? Its lighter than the alpkit rig so getting pulled towards it, but not seen either in the flesh.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Think it’s down to compromise John … siltarps are pretty expensive compared to Alpkit for the same size, so it all depends whether the weight saving is worth it to you. Polythene tarp’s lighter than anything :wink:

@Valleydaddy, I’ve used clips before on tarps, work well enough. Flatfish has some very nice bits and bobs for rigging tarps up without needing to be a boy scout in the knot department.

Chew
    Free Member

So if i’m looking to build up a new bike that is bikepacking friendly, any suggestions?

Has to have gears and no 29ers (i’m lazy and short)

IanB
    Free Member

@s8tannorm – once I’ve done the vents I’ll do a boil test to the same standards as my recent test for a close comparison.

@Anthony – I got my silnylin from Quest Outfitters in the US. Carrington apparently make it in the UK, but it appears impossible to get hold of

@Chew – something like an On One Inbred would be a good starting point I think. Being short doesn’t necessarily preclude a 29er, check out the WRT blog for the bike Stu is building: that’s a 29er and he’s not known for being lanky

Tiger6791

I’ve got a Scandal but I reckon on Inbred (bit more give/comfort) would be better. Idea was just to keep it simple.

All easy to service / trail repair

3×9 XT/SLX drive train
    BB7 cable brakes
    Coil forks

Whatever was cheap at On-one that week, that sort of stuff. (Hence the comedy disc brakes!)

flatfish
    Free Member

For one end of the ridgeline (Niteize knotbone)

And to tighten it all up (Figure 9 rope tightener)

IanB
    Free Member

The Encylopedia of Knots and Ropework by Geofrey Budworth is worth getting if you want to learn knot tying fir yourself

Anthony
    Free Member

Mini Lineloc’s and 1.5mm dyneema makes for great guying btw.

Thanks for the info Ian. I suspect the siltarp is the easiest option then, especially as it’s notoriously difficult to sew anyway.

Thats the 200g Rab Survival Zone-Lite and a Siltarp1 now on the wish list for this summer then. £160 to save 200g, it’s about the same cost as saving weight from an XC race bike!!

So thats Sleeping bag, bivvy bag, tarp, cooker and down vest all in under 1KG, Nice.

We had a great time bivvying in the caves on Stannage Edge Friday night, it was cold and uncomfortable sleeping on the uneven rocks though. Fortunately I had my down jacket to suppliment the 8’C sleeping bag so was toasty warm :-)

IanB
    Free Member

So thats Sleeping bag, bivvy bag, tarp, cooker and down vest all in under 1KG, Nice.

Sounds very good indeed. Just remind me exactly what this comprises of again?

John_Rowlands
    Free Member

No need for those flatfish, just use an italian hitch knot. :-)

John_Rowlands
    Free Member

Think it’s down to compromise John … siltarps are pretty expensive compared to Alpkit for the same size, so it all depends whether the weight saving is worth it to you. Polythene tarp’s lighter than anything

Cheers, think im going to go the polythene route with some of those tarp clips

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

My advice for the poly tarp would be to edge the short sides with duct tape … it’ll stop the thing tearing, the short sides seem to be the ones that that the greatest stress.

valleydaddy
    Free Member

I hope there’s room for two under that Tarp pete – you know how pissed off I get when there’s no space!

always room for you Sir yes Sir :wink:

cheers for the ideas about knots etc, I will get practicing

Anthony
    Free Member

PHD Minim Ultra sleeping bag (genuine 900EU fill mmmmmm) 345g
    PHD Minimus vest 240g
    Rab Survival Zone Lite bivvy bag 200g (claimed)
    Siltarp1 200g (claimed)
    Caldera stove 16g

1001g, 1g over, sorry Ian! (add in 68g for balloon bed, forgot that beauty!)

At the moment my tarp is 320g, home-made from 2oz nylon and my bivvy bag is a standard Suvival Zone @320g hence the 200g saving from the 2 items mentioned above.

I almost went for the 150g Ultra vest but the Minimus is one that I can wear day in day out so could justify the cost a bit more. My kit is far from money no object, everything is obsessed over then saved up for.

Anthony
    Free Member

And yes I know that doesn’t include the sundries required for them like dry bags, fuel, wind shield, cooking pans, pegs etc. I could list those too but there is a limit to how much of a geek I’ll admit to!

(My ballon bed stuff sack weighed 7g, I sewed it in half as it was too big anyway!! most of the time I prefer to leave stuff sacks at home anyway.)

What can I say, the kit prep is half the fun.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I’ve a PHD Ultra vest sat on my desk just waiting for some lucky WRTer to walk off with it in the raffle :D

‘Tis very very nice.

Anthony
    Free Member

That is some raffle prize! Is it a med? :-)

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Yep … it’s a medium in black :wink:

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Yep … it’s a medium in black

I’d slim to fit that :lol:

Anthony
    Free Member

LOL, I’m glad I’ve only got a 30″ waist the Ultra sleeping bag is certainly a slim fit!

I’m running out of excuses not to ride the WRT :-)

valleydaddy
    Free Member

Anthony well sign up then fella it’s for a great cause too :D

Anthony
    Free Member

If I’m offered post #1000 ;-) in 3 posts time…..

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Would you like an entry form emailing over? … there’s still time :D

Tiger6791

Where’s Ian?

Tiger6791

Well post #1000

What can we summarise from this thread:

Well you’ll be all glad to hear I am no longer ‘Sick as a dog’
    Also since this thread started I have spent ~ £500 on ‘gear’
    I have slept outside 5 times
    Twice in the ‘bag’ three time in the tent
    I have bought a hammock I have never used
    I have a whole new bike for the WRT
    I have a super exclusive Wildcat frame bag for said new bike
    I have made more stoves than is healthy
    Sometimes I just go and make a brew in the back garden

Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 2,851 total)

The topic ‘Sick as a dog so, show me you Bivi / Bikepacking / Adventure racing gear…..’ is closed to new replies.