Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • showers – anyone got one like this…
  • jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Changing the bathroom and have a space to put in a walk-in shower…in theory.

Something like this:

https://www.betterbathrooms.com/1850-x-1200-wet-room-shower-screen?gclid=Cj0KCQiAxNnfBRDwARIsAJlH29BMCi-XEEgq_GmF1MVLCM-Oq0vGH1AmFn0zenVnhai3NHH3i4GfCY4aAitLEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Does anyone have anything like this? Looks the part etc but in reality do you just end up with water splashed about all over the place (eg out the shower bit and all over the floor)

Ideally i’d put a sliding door over the whole space but would have to brick up half a window for that to work.

Am i concerned too much about ‘splash back’!

cheers

perchypanther
    Free Member

Does anyone have anything like this? Looks the part etc but in reality do you just end up with water splashed about all over the place (eg out the shower bit and all over the floor)

Yes, but it’s OK because that shower screen is for a wet room.

You can get wide shower trays with that sort of arrangement for non-wet rooms but they have a short baffle on the end of the glazed panel to stop water splashing out. They work pretty well

meeeee
    Free Member

We’ve got one similar (was there when we bought the house), it works ok, not much splashback but you need to make sure the slope to the drain is correct, and also, if you have wife and 2 daughters like me then its always clogging up with hair, and they never seem to realise that its not draining the water away until theres a big lake on the floor, then its a case of shouting for me to unclog it….

If i had a choice i’d have a normal shower cubicle

smiththemainman
    Free Member

Have a 1600 mm long tray sunk to pretty much level 1200 mm long screen similar to yours, towel at the end of glass to step out onto , never anything dramatic to mop up even after 3 kids showers on the run, shower is located at the end of the screen so 1100 mm from the screen end.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Yes, similar.. but we put a large catch tray underneath.

Works well, loads of room.

Make sure you vent the room, because when you are in it you won’t want to get out and you’re going to use all the hot water and make loads of steam..

👍

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I’ve got fed up with it and putting a clear glass door on when money allows (custom cut ones are not that expensive tbh). However mine is a bit different layout to your pic,  but like in the pic it has no tray as such in that the floor is all seamless.  I’ve learned that water gets everywhere very easily, running in the groove between tiles, spray off the floor grate, that’s before it spays everywhere off you etc etc. In the pic you link to, you could easily add a clear glass door at a later date if it didn’t work out

dantsw13
    jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Cheers all. We’ll have a tray in the bottom.

So consensus is generally that a screen with a return/hinged splashback bit is generally ok, but screening off the whole thing with a door is the way to go if you can?

I’d be doing the latter for sure if it wasn’t for the window at the end, just got to weigh up if partly bricking up a window to avoid a bit of a wet floor is worth the effort.

All sounds a bit sadly frivolous when you read it back!

nickclift
    Free Member

We’ve pretty much the same set up here (OPs link), wet room style, surprisingly little splash on the floors but we do keep a shower blade handy to dry the floor as it can get a little slippy if you don’t keep it dry. Looks super cool & no messing about with lime scaled up runners and the like. Hopefully here’s a pic while it was being built;

johndoh
    Free Member

We have a simple screen and don’t really have any issues with water getting everywhere but we did ensure we put a gentle slope on the floor tiles so water doesn’t run away from the shower. Also we went down the route of a slimline (25mm) shower tray so there is no step up from the tiles – a bit like this one.

Apparently it has a patented drain which is claimed not to clog with hair. And to be fair it hasn’t done in the five years it’s been installed (and the basin is constantly getting blocked up as my wife has lots of long curly hair) despite having nothing but an occasional drop of bleach poured down it to remove odours.

Ohh and I deliberately avoided having a screened off cubicle as I HATE getting out of a warm shower into a relatively cool room so for me the single glass splashback was all that I wanted.

Splash-man
    Free Member

partly bricking up a window to avoid a bit of a wet floor is worth the effort

I had a similar dilemma in a bathroom with a window in an unwanted area. I built a frame inside the window and filled it with some of the square glass blocks then plaster boarded round the rest of the window.

From the outside it looks like the full window, from the inside you can only see the much smaller 2 glass squares which still allow light through.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Splash-man clearly the most qualified to comment with a username like that!

Unfortunately window goes high, and we’d need to have somewhere solid for the end of the shower-screen to anchor to, but like the glass block idea a lot. Might be something we can adapt.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Walk in shower, not great if you have small children wondering about the house. Likewise large glass areas to walk into.

johndoh
    Free Member

Our girls were four when we did our bathroom- can’t say we have ever had any issues with them walking into things all that much.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

but screening off the whole thing with a door is the way to go if you can?<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>I’d be doing the latter for sure if it wasn’t for the window at the end, </span>

I didn’t want to put you off the idea. Like I said, the layout of my shower is a bit different to the pic link and that might have contributed to my issues and decision.

leffeboy

We have something similar. No need for a door at the end, there has never been a problem. We made sure the shower is at the far end

And that thing about a house full of women and blocked drains

Stoner
    Free Member

I strongly recommend a full closing cubicle. I found with an open ended “walk in” style one, once the hot shower got the air rising, you’d get a howling gale of cold air up past your meat & two.

I replaced a walk-in arrangement with a full sliding door. Warm nuts now.

DickBarton

Been in hotels with that, the rain shower type shower head tends to minimise any excess splash…

Or I just move around too much and splash excessively.

nedrapier

howling gale of cold air up past your meat & two.

No immediate plans to do anything with the bathroom, but thanks for this little insight!

johndoh
    Free Member

I replaced a walk-in arrangement with a full sliding door. Warm nuts now.

Until you get out and into a cool room.

nbt

We have a narrow-ish en-suite which previously had a shower with a sliding door across one end – 1200mm from wall to wall I think.

We had the shower refitted and went for a walkin. We replaced the electric shower with one supplied by the boiler and moved it to suit, replaced the really deep shower tray with a much shallower one.

FAR prefer the new layout, much nicer. Don’t think we’ve ever had splashing around the outside of the shower

Stoner
    Free Member

No immediate plans to do anything with the bathroom, but thanks for this little insight!

As ever, it’s quite literally, the little things that matter.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘showers – anyone got one like this…’ is closed to new replies.