Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Show n tell: Rockhoppers
  • aphex_2k
    Free Member

Just bought one and collecting Tuesday. Never bought "off the shelf" before and this seems a decent buy for the money. Going to try no to fettle and upgrade and just ride the thing and replace whatever wears out or breaks as n when. My second ever mountain bike was a Hardrock Sport in about 94 and the missus has been riding a Hardrock for a year or two unchanged and I've been impressed with Spesh's kit on the whole.

Collecting an 09 Rockhopper Expert in white so just curious to see other people's Hoppers and what they've done to them.

Ta

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Got it now 🙂 yay for being mobile again!

Just needs some wider bars with less upsweep as the Spesh ones are an awful fit for me, I just didn't feel like paying WA prices for a new set of bars when I get order them from Wiggle / CRC and get them sent to Oz for cheaper!

racefaceec90

nice.how does it ride?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

It's actually quite nice. It's not uber light, about 26lbs, but a lot "tighter" feel compared to my steel Pipedream. Bikes over here are really expensive but managed to get this for about £700 as it was an 09 model. Shimano DX pedals cost me $149 and that was with them buying back the clipless pedals that it came with for 40 bucks! Recon SL forks feel quite good too. All in all, very happy.

LMT
    Free Member

$149!! the exchange rate is ether really bad still or overpriced!! I paid about £45 for my pair of DX's it was over 12 months ago. They are great pedals, need very little looking after.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

LMT – guessing it was Auz $, not US $ which are worth next to nothing!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Sorry yeah, oz dollars.

ace_sparky
    Free Member

Here's mine, originally an 08 Disc but upgraded over time as parts wore out or whenever a good deal came up 😉

Rockshox Reba 100mm Forks with remote poploc, Chris King Threadless Headset, Thomson Stem, Easton Ea70 Low Rise Monkey Bars, Ritchey WCS Foam Grips, Avid Juicy five's with 160mm G2 Rotors, Mavic XC717 Rims on Hope Pro II hubs with XT QR, Shimano XT Cassette, XT Chain, XT Cranks, Chris King Bottom Bracket, XT Shadow rear mech, XT Front mech, XT Shifters, XTR Gear Cables, Thomson Seatpost, Salsa seat post clamp, Fizik Gobi XM Saddle, Schwalbe 2.1 Nobby Nic Front, Schwalbe 2.1 Racing Ralph Rear, Shimano SPD 540 Pedals.

Just changed the ruffian grips for a set of foam grips as they were almost worn down to the bar. Quite light, just under 24lbs rides great.

DarrenH

i've had my 09 expert for 4 weeks now and i've gotta say i love it. So far i've added panaracer cinders as it gets a bit too muddy for the spesh tyres where i ride, a raceface seatpost and dmr v8 pedals. Don't know what to add next. . . Any suggestions people?

sc-xc

Going to try no to fettle and upgrade and just ride the thing and replace whatever wears out or breaks as n when

Just needs some wider bars with less upsweep

Shimano DX pedals cost me $149 and that was with them buying back the clipless pedals that it came with for 40 bucks!

😀

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Hey no fair, stalker! :p

I HAD to get the pedals cos I don't wear clipless shoes. I bought the DX's on the day I bought the bike. 2 x :p

And the bars… Well width wise they are fine, actually. I've stuck some stubby bar ends on (£15) but the back/upsweep is too much so I need some flatter with less sweep.

I did say "try".

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Show n tell: Rockhoppers’ is closed to new replies.