Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Show me your pub bike / commuter bike
  • ajf
    Free Member

Been offered a new job which is a commutable distance however they do not have any bike facilities that I am aware of so the bike would have to be locked up outside work in the middle of town (Leeds).

So the nice bikes are staying at home. This mean I need a bike that is fit for purpose.

Be interested to know what other people are riding and leaving locked up for all to see. Preferably the ones that are not getting nicked or vandalised.

Are people going for the disguise an okay bike or just ride a knackered bike?

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

1994 British Eagle Strike – cantilever brakes, steel frame, dead front hub but it gets me there (2 miles to town) and back albeit in a wobbly fashion. The panniers are worth more than the bike I reckon!

crocodilian
    Free Member

No pics, sorry, but I use a 2004 Spesh Rockhopper in black to get me to and from work. I keep it inside at work AND locked up so it's pretty safe.

angryratio
    Free Member

trickydisco
    Free Member

ajf
    Free Member

suspect there won't be many pictures, especially if they are not your pride and joy. Retro steel framed road or mtb seems likely.

crocodillian – not expecting to be able to take it inside. It is right in the middle of town.

angryratio – you cannot tell me that you lock that up outside for all to see?

trickydisco – thats more like it!

angryratio
    Free Member

Depends what pub i go to.. it gets locked at my work everyday for all to see..
    thats when it was clean once, a while ago.

It gets minimal fettling. A few weeks ago the clip that holds the lever in place in the body of my front hope brake fell out.. i've yet to replace it.. so the lever wobbles around and involves inventive gripping to make it work.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

angryratio
    what forks are those?

zaskar
    Free Member

Added a kickstand and great with shopping panniers etc.

Bloody slow at 12mph fully loaded but good training/recovery rides rain or snow (British summer). Only good for less than 15 miles really as you'd want something lighter and 700c and not bomb proof 26's.

Sometimes this for a quick blast into the city or post office etc (my winter road bike) just a backpack:

MisterT

Riding a pashley with a carradice nelson longflap saddle bag. It gets ignored by most and only comments from proper bikies. And I just love the big sprung brooks saddle plus fully encased chain and hub brakes. Weighs a tonne and It's ace.
    A bit like driving a big bently. Just leave Lycra at home.

ajf
    Free Member

Are these bikes getting locked up outside? on the street? Or are they being locked up at work e.g. in a car park or somewhere like that?

Am I just too distrusting of thieving scum? Wouldn't be leaving some of them in the middle of Leeds all day.

obirobkeno
    Free Member

Built cheaply and just keeps on going…

actiondan
    Free Member

Crantinope
    Free Member

For my short commute: 🙂

odannyboy
    Free Member

"Am I just too distrusting of thieving scum? Wouldn't be leaving some of them in the middle of Leeds all day."

NO!
    belive a lot of these poster's just dont seem to get it!
    round my way anyof those would be diassembled in no time.
    you need;
    no brand names.desticker it (even if its crap)
    no names on components.paint over or scratch off (snobbery wont do you any good when your walking home)
    puncture proof tyres.
    no quick releases.change them for bolt in.(inc the seat)
    matt black aerosol can do wonders when applied in abundance.
    huge lock or …two huge locks.
    lock it somewhere very public and lit at night.

if all else fails fit drop bars..then no one will want it 😆

zaskar
    Free Member

I lock my bike in a compound.

If locked in the city I use my Kryptonite etc.

I mainly rely on my insurance against theft.

Why should we use 'old hack bikes in disguise' as a commuter?
    Ok they will attract attention but so do nice cars-hence insurance!

Remind me not to go Leeds… 😉

angryratio
    Free Member

B.A.Nana project2's maybe a tad short for intended maxlight geometry.. but they make it feel lovely and direct.

ajf
    Free Member

Why should we use 'old hack bikes in disguise' as a commuter?

The hassle of insurance claims, the higher premium from claiming, the damage caused by failed thefts, the scrotes who jump on peoples wheels in town. The inconvenience of having a good favourite bike stolen.

My old work (Uni of Leeds, a bike every working day was getting stolen on their premises. This was despite CCTV and security guards.

rootes1

Been offered a new job which is a commutable distance however they do not have any bike facilities that I am aware of so the bike would have to be locked up outside work in the middle of town (Leeds).

get a folder, one of the less perceived benefits of folders is that you can fold them up and take them into work, shops etc – mine lives under my desk in the – saves carry a lock, bike getting nick, getting wet etc etc

zaskar
    Free Member

My insurance just gives me a cheap quote for bike insurance and doesn't keep claims history regardless of claims or own damage.

Hassel? what a phone call or a few forms?

True I'm not keen on 1-2-1 confrontation but I have battered said theif!

plumber
    Free Member

I've been working over looking one of Leeds commuting route. you'd have to ride something really aweful for it not to stand out in the bike traffic.

That said I did see a guy riding a pink carbon planet x with full on one kit last week. looked very nice too sweetie

trail_rat
    Free Member

when it was clean …

have left it locked up in the middle of town on a cycle rack over night – admittedly not on a weekend … and also outside the airport on the bike rack for a week while on business – it doesnt look so clean these days – thats why i get away with that

i do use a sold secure gold rated lock though

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Show me your pub bike / commuter bike’ is closed to new replies.