Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)
  • Show me your Pace RC405
  • twiglet_monster
    Free Member

Votchy and all,

I’m running a nice short stem (70mm Hope) and it feels spot on.

The crash above was down to rider skill (a lack of), as well as a big rock hidden in the puddle…

I love the fact the back end isn’t relying on a cleverly valved shock – I run with no platform damping and rarely get any bob or other squishy oddness.

TM

DeeJay
    Free Member

Just stripped the shock out of mine and the top and bottom bearings are shot. Anyone else had a problem? I thought they would be a couple of quid but the LBS says £9 each!!

BadlyWiredDog

Just stripped the shock out of mine and the top and bottom bearings are shot. Anyone else had a problem? I thought they would be a couple of quid but the LBS says £9 each!!

Yep, had to replace my shock mount bushings, the spherical things, after about five months of Peak-ish abuse. Not cheap. If you can bear the expense, the Pace special tool makes changing them an absolute doddle. You can buy them direct from Pace and no, they’re not cheap, but then neither are anyone else’s…

Paceman
    Free Member

BadlyWiredDog

What’s the tool you need, and are the bearings a particular type?

Cheers 😀

Molds

Thanks for all the input guys. I finally took delivery of mine at the end of last week and took it for its first ride on a local loop yesterday 🙂

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattnclaire/3441353810/in/set-72157616656827903/

*Thanks to John Atkins Cycles for supply and build.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Suspension looks similar to meastro. I like the look of the front end. Not sure about the curvy brace tubes between the chain and seat stays. Giants use a Y shaped brace that looks better IMO, although they reduce the mud clearance.

Molds

I’m not familiar with the maestro or Giants Y shaped brace Buzz but hey ho its good that there are lots to choose from. It would be a bit boring if we all rode the same design eh? 🙂

cymohndee
    Free Member

Interesting build Moulds. How big was your grin? Don’t you miss all the other gears?

Molds

My grin was plentiful! I spent a lot of time during 2008 thinking about a new full sus. It was great to start working through a build sheet this year with JAC and finally take delivery.

With regard to the gears: TBH I have pretty much ridden nothing but single speed since 2002 – MTB anyway, so it doesn’t feel like I have lost anything. The ratio is of course limited compared to a 3×9 but I am hoping it will be enough. It’s also nice to try something different and I get to keep the easy cleaning and maintenance I love with single speeding. I’ll see how it goes, if I decide I don’t like it then no big deal, I will just have it reconfigured to use conventional derailleur gears ?

Cheers

Molds

cymohndee
    Free Member

Ta Molds, I love my Pace except for that one affliction that plagues all 3×9 deuraillier systems: the chain flying around and hitting stuff and putting me off when I’m enjoying my hard earned gravity rush back to the bottom of the hill. I wish I was rich/brave enough to commit to an Alfine/Hamerschmit and be done with it! Nice build tho, enjoy.

willv

just had to order up a mounting kit for mine after 3 months!! The shock has strated to rotate about its vertical axis already

will

BadlyWiredDog

Yeah, the shock mount bushings seem to be the weak point in the suspension system, mind have gone twice now in the space of around six months, everything else seems fine so far though.

Molds

Guys, out of the box was your rear shock alignment slightly rotated? Mine is a little off but seems happy, however something is creaking like hell after only half a dozen almost dry rides 😮 I have eliminated it being the stem/bars, or seat post – its defo the suspension. I don’t even have to put masses of power in, just enough for some lateral twisting and its creeeeaaaaakkkkk!

Molds

Oh, and I bought a new 2009 front Crud Guard. The holes in the Crud don’t match up with the frame bosses. I tried my older Crud (not sure if its 08 or a bit older) and that didn’t line up either and also both Cruds were different to each other?! I cut the rubber bit on the new one as well after lining up the top hole with the frame boss and seeing the rubber stuck out way too far. Wish I realised it was not going to screw in before I cut it grrr. So now it’s on with the rubber bands but even that’s not great – the top most cable guide is right next to the boss so the Crud sits squiffy. Am I just confused and they are not Crud Guard bosses?

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Molds I had an RC303 and the holes weren’t right for a bolt mounted crud catcher then (not the one with the rubber on anyway). I wonder what they used to set the distances?!

You might be better with a steerer mounted front guard.

BadlyWiredDog

1. I’d talk to Pace if you’re worried about the shock rotation thing – the spherical bushings allow some rotation, but speak to them, they’re very friendly and helpful in a gruff Yarkshire sort of way.

2. Noise? The shock bushings are the things that have gone on mine, twice now in about nine months, but they knock rather than creak. I’d make sure it’s not something like the rear skewer- once spent weeks chasing a creak on my Voodoo and it was the QR. Maybe borrow a torque wrench and go over the pivots making sure they’re at the correct torque, but from what you say, it sounds dryness related.

3. You’re right about the ’09 Crud Guard, I bought one, realised the holes didn’t line up but that the shape was wrong anyway and fitted an ’08 one, though I had to ‘adjust’ the holes slightly to fit the frame. Works just fine. Gave the ’09 one to Ms BWD I think.

DeeJay
    Free Member

Got the shock bushings in and now all the lubricating oil in the shock has leaked out – that makes a truly awful noise! Its gone back to Pace and should be sorted under warranty but its hung up again. 😥

Anyone got one with a Monarch fitted?

Molds

BWD: I’m not concerned at this stage about the vertical alignment of the shock, it does look like it’s sitting how it’s meant too – was just interested in how it came “out of the box” for other people. Will keep an eye on it 🙂

My creaking is unlikely to be the QR as I am through axle at the front and bolt on (Alfine) rear. Good idea about checking the pivots points are torqued up though – I have a nice Norbar wrench in the tool box…

Weird on the Crud eh? And I thought it was daft that the two Cruds I compared were different to each other! The catcher design may change but with such an established product why move the holes?! How did you ’08 version fir with respect to that top cable guide right on the crud boss? The boss causes the one I have put on with the rubber bands to sit sideways on the p1ss!

Cheers

Molds

Paceman
    Free Member

I’ve had my RC405 for a year now, used right through the winter, full off-road Coast to Coast in awful conditions, and for many a weekend away in Wales. The shock bushings have been completely trouble free so far – no alignment issues or creaking etc. It’s a 2008 frame with the DT Swiss shock.

I have ’08 and ’09 front Crudcatchers. The ’08 always fit fine, and the ’09 also does after making new holes in it!

Paceman
    Free Member

fotorat
    Free Member

I had a large Pace 303 in 2007 and found that with my Normal choice of a 90mm Stem the cockpit felt extremely cramped compared to my quiver of Large Dales, in fact I was hitting my knees on the handle bars when climbing.

i then fitted a 110 stem which made it feel slow steering and put too weight too far forward – which felt like an over bars accident waiting to happen. So I flogged it.

Anyway I am now contemplating a Heckler Vs Pace 405 and I got to wondering the RC405 would be as cramped as the 303?

I can see that the RC405 TT is 60.7cm while the 303 is 61.3 so I figure ZINGA the RC405 is even more cramped than the 303. I normally ride large dales and the Rush TT is 62.5, F3 is 62.2.

Has anyone found the RC405 so short in the top tube so as to make climbing a joke?

Paceman
    Free Member

I’m 5’10” and ride a medium RC405 with a 90mm Hope Stem – climbs like a mountain goat.

Get a demo rider if you can? I think you’ll find the 405 a very different ride from the 303.

DeeJay
    Free Member

Shock is back from Pace after a bit of warranty work and a service – feels completely different – much smoother – probably how it was when I first got it, its amazing what you just get used to.

Just for your info the shock has a 2 year waranty but you only get the 2nd year if you send it to be serviced before the first year is over – that was a bit of a blow to my personal credit crunch!

YorkshireRipper
    Free Member

here’s mine, love it, tracks amazing and powers out of the corners and up climbs.

Will-M

Paceman, good shot of your bike at Afan there… name that trail centre! How does it do around the W2 run?

I have just got my new RC405 fitted out with Forks (RS Rev 426) and BB/Crankset (XT) just need to put the rest of the stuff on.

I’ll post a pic when it’s finished but for everyones info here’s the build list, no idea how heavy this thing’ll be…

Pace rc405 07 with DT Swiss EX200 shock
    Rockshox Revelation 09 426 Dual Air fork (possibly will get reduced to 125mm)
    Hope Intregral Headset
    Shimano XT drivetrain/shifters/brakes (first time with dual control, only bought as they came as a kit, I fear these will gravitate towards eBay pretty quickly)
    Easton EA50 Stem (100mm) and riser bars
    RaceFace Evolve XC Seat Post
    WTB Rocket V Saddle
    XT Hubs on Mavix XC717 Rims with Centrelock Discs
    ODI Lock on grips
    Panaracer Trailblaster Tyres (unknown quantity atm)

I’ve noticed some small chips/discolouration of the paint near the headset when it was put in by my LBS, I hope to heck that this is not detrimental in any way!

Self Serving post completed!

Alex

I have the Pace Pivot Grease kit that STW gave me to test. I’ve used it a couple of times (bit like the Turner Zerks, new grease in, sh!t out!) and everything is lovely and smooth. Costs about fifteen quid.

Mine is build as a complete complement to my Hummer, so it’s 2.5 tyres, coil Pike, Flats, that kind of thing. I’m 5ft 11 (long arms. stubby legs) and medium is fine for me. 90mm stem. It’s probably a little short, but then with the Pace I’m more interested in riding it downhill.

Reading this thread makes me want to sort a rocky peaks weekend out soon!

Molds

Alex, I too have the grease gun and plastic (high pressure injection [sic]) kit. I’m not convinced about it though, unless I am using it wrong? Took off pivot bolts, pushed on plastic jobbie, pumped it… just seemed to make lots of surface goo/mess and eventually came out around the edges of the plastic jobbie. Am I not doing it right?

Molds

* 6′ 1″ – large frame – 90mm stem (0 rise) – on top of 20mm stack – Monkey CNT high rise bar – Pure Racing set back seat post *

Paceman
    Free Member

I can’t find the pivot grease kit on the Pace website. Have either of you got a link to it?? 😕

Will, my 405 absolutely flies round the W2 trail, almost feels like the perfect bike for that type of terrain.

cheers_drive

* 6′ 1″ – large frame – 90mm stem (0 rise) – on top of 20mm stack – Monkey CNT high rise bar – Pure Racing set back seat post *

I’ve been looking at buying a 405 for a while now but can’t track down a large one to try. I’ve heard they come up a bit small and at 6’3″ I would rather run a stem of less that 90mm but if you’re 6’3″ Molds with a 90mm stem it may be a little short in the top tube for me.

Molds

Paceman: The Pace web site is pretty useless really and to be fair it was me harping on about the greasing kit to my LBS that prompted them to mention it to Pace directly as they weren’t aware of it either?! So, mine came from my LBS and I don’t have a link to it I’m afraid.

cheers_drive: I can sympathise with your trouble making a decision. It’s hard if you can’t easily try before you buy. I looked at the paper spec for the large frame and it came up pretty close when stacked up against the rest of my bikes – but bear in mind I tend to prefer a shorter cockpit over a long one and run an inline s/post on many of my bikes. Thats just how I like it though and I dont have short legs/arms etc, pretty even at 6’1″ with a 32″ inside leg.

However when the bike was finally built my immediate reaction when heading out on the first round-the-block test ride was that I had got it wrong and it was too small! I think part of that is down to the fact I have been riding road bikes a lot over the last 18 months and when off roading a singlespeed Surly Karate Monkey (29er) with a Thudbuster seat post. So all quite long feeling rigs. I swapped the inline s/post off the Pace for a set back (400mm Pure Racing that is just 20mm short of the min. insertion mark), dropped 10mm off the stem stack height, rolled the bars forward to a more manly position and it’s been perfect for me. The ride position feels quite sit up and beg, although I dont know how much it really _is versus how it _feels? I’ve not suffered any aches and pains in the usual suspect areas of neck/lower back and love the way it kinda feels easily chuckable and nimble – sure any 26″ wheel bike will compared to the Monkey 🙂

Of course it all boils down to personal preference and getting a demo if you can when shelling out a lot of cash, esp. in the current economic climate – prices stupid! This is particlalry pertinent for you because IMO a large from with set back s/post and 90mm stem would not be big enough for you…

FYI: The Pace manual recommends 70-90mm stem, riser stem and bars, 10-20mm spacers for agressive/park, 0-10mm spacers for XC.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Molds

cheers_drive

Cheers for the info Molds. I definately need to try one but it doesn’t sound good. However I do like a shorter cockpit and my extra 2″ over you is in my legs so it may be OK.
    6’3″ is not stupid tall so I can’t believe they don’t cater for riders that height!

Paceman
    Free Member

Cheers-Drive

Have you tried calling Pace about this? I had some queries about frame geometry and axle-crown lengths before buying my 405. They were really helpful when I called them.

Paceman 😀

cheers_drive

I finally got to try a large Pace today. It was very different from my Commencal Meta 5; It definately wasn’t as ‘plush’ feeling but the acceleration was amazing. Unfortunately as feared the Large wasn’t large enough, the saddle to stem cetre was 20mm less than the Meta and although the stem was 20mm longer to compensate I just don’t like stems that long.

It’s so annoying that Pace don’t make a XL! Now what bike should I look at next…

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

?

Will-M

Et Voila! My finished RC405.

Note to anyone buying, you have to have the rear derailleur cable completely covered from mech to lever…

Paceman
    Free Member

Still looks great in snow white. 😀

You know you can run your rear brake cable under the downtube and BB?

Will-M

Um yeah, but I just wanted to get riding and the hose isnt long enough to go all the way under the BB – I’d need to get new hose and bleed it again and at the minute I can’t be faffed!

The forks need waa- hey more air in them. Shock pump purchase imminent!

Even with a wallowy fork I can’t belive how well this bike handles!

Twodogs

anyone got a contact no for Pace please? their website seems to be dead at the minute

chrestomanci

Contact details for Pace: (From the DT Swis service center list)

Pace Cycles Ltd (suspension only)
    Unit 8 Farfield Business Park
    Main Road
    Wykeham
    Scarborough Y013 9QB
    Phone +44 1723 867919
    Fax + 44 1723 867918
    e-mail: dtswiss@dtswissservicecentre.co.uk
    http://www.pacecycles.com

ripley405
    Free Member

OK – I know this post was last replied to a year ago, but it is the only place on the web that I can find that has a load of Pace enthusiasts in the same place!!! I just hope one of you can help me…

Earlier this year I bought an RC405 – I FRELLING LOVE IT!!! You all know why – we all love them for the same reasons. I’ve kitted it out pretty sweet, well I think so, it fits like a glove and goes like stink. I’ve taken really careful consideration with the contact patches and have chosen kit that I feel gives me great feedback and comfort (Sunline lock on grips, SDG Bel Air Saddle, Shimano XT Pedals) but my ongoing non starter is what tyres to use…

I currently have 2.1 Bonty Mud X’s on (Winter season) and prior to that had 2.2. Bonty XR4 Team Issue’s, but they are huge!!! I’m thinking of 2.1 Nobby Nic front and rear for spring and autumn, replacing the rear with a Racing Ralph in summer. Any good? What do you use? I have found the XR4 a great tyre, but it is too big and the downward wishbone on the rear triangle has started to get fouled by muck on the tyre…

What do I wear?!?!?!

I’ll upload a pic soon and if anyone wants to know spec, I can post that too.

Please help, I’m all in a tizz!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Show me your Pace RC405’ is closed to new replies.