Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Show me your: All rounder bikes for Goons (6' 2" +)
  • Olly
    Free Member

Back in the market for “one bike”
    Frame only, as i have an 18″ patriot (too small for riding any distance, mini DH build) and my trance (21.5″, lanky bike on the lighter end of being a trail bike)

I seem to remember im 6’4″, I
    would want t’ bike to be fit for riding long distance (dyfi enduro) but also be able to handle trips to alps singletrack/trails (not a lot of interest in riding the full on DH stuff fast)

I wouuld be looking to use the 36s off the patriot, but the “proper” gears off the trance

Im thinking a Cotic Rocket at the moment, and being reviewed as “taught” i think it wouldnt feel like i was over biking on the UK trail centre stuff!
    upper height “suggestion” is just below my magnificent stature, but i guess that wont matter tooo much

The alpine 160 is nice enough, but helluva lot of moneys considering what you get!

Or at Tall size, is it a lost cause trying to meet in the middle?

banks
    Free Member

Large covert?

ampthill

Well in the hopless way of the internet I post a picture of the only FS bike I own and pretend that I’m being helpful

bike by John Clinch, on Flickr

On a more serious note I think that Trek virtual frame sizing works. So my bike is sold as a 21.5 inch frame which fits me like a glove and I’m 6 foot 4. But its a 20.5 inch frame so that seat goes way down.

This a Fuel ex, A Remedey might meet your needs

tomhoward

Intense by tom.howard.562, on Flickr

I’m 6’1″, that’s a medium. Get a large.

scaled
    Free Member

Recommend the bike you own you say?

Nukeproof mega! Goes up and down very well, only thing its not really is a play bike as its main fault is being too stable.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

What about…..SJ FSR EVO XL

I’ve just put one together, comes with headset and bb adapter.

neallyman
    Free Member

I’m 6′ and that’s a large. 604mm top tube… would be too small for you I’d reckon.

bigsam
    Free Member

I’m 6’4 as well and I ride an xl spesh pitch. I’ve got mine with a 50mm stem and 800mm wide bars an it fits me pretty well. It’s running 55s and 1×10 gears and a reverb at the moment and is great for long rides (did the dyfi on it last year) and downhill playing. They don’t make pitches any more so maybe look at an xl enduro/ second hand.

OwenP

I’m 6’2″, but most of that seems to be in my legs.

My XL Santa Cruz Butcher…

[/url]
    . by OwenP2010, on Flickr[/img]

Santa Cruz recommend the XL for 6’2″ upwards, but some models can come up a little short. The Butcher was discontinued, but wouldn’t be a bad choice for what you describe. Builds up easily to 30lbs ish and works nicely with 160mm forks.

lex
    Free Member

I’m 6’3″ and a bit and I have a large rocket (hee hee)

I use it for general South Downs titting about and longer (2-3 hr) rides and it’s great.

With a ctd shock and 120-150 talas fork it is remarkably versatile. It is heavy, though. But like everyone says, you don’t really feel the weight until you try to lift it onto the car.

Lex

leadbasher
    Free Member

Tallboy/ tallboyLT the LT is now my do everything bike size large 6’2″ they also do a xl

bigdean

Second hand 5 spot from ebay for me. Am 6’4ish and a 22″ is a great fit. You realise how small and bad fitting other l and xl bikes are.

Would idealy want a 150mm full suss 29er but there not under £500 yet…..

mechmonkey
    Free Member

Tallboy/ tallboyLT the LT is now my do everything bike size large 6’2″ they also do a xl

They do a XXL LTc in carbon too which might be a better fit.

You realise how small and bad fitting other l and xl bikes are.

After recently testing some bikes which actually fit me I second this.

Turner make bikes in sizes to fit proper men too 🙂 Might be worth trying to get a test ride on the 5Spot or Sultan.

or maybe a Yeti SB65 or Spesh Enduro

loverofminkys

At 6’4″ I’ve gone from a surly instigater and a big hit to just an orange five in a 22″ and it’s perfect fit wise with a 60mm stem. Does everything from uplifts to all day rides. I did try a 20″ alpine 160 but found it just a little too short. I really like the extra length!

Olly
    Free Member

misterfrostie has had a 20″ alpine 160 frame going second hand….. HMMM!!!!

funkrodent

Would second the Turner theory. I’m 6’3″ and I’ve a 2011 XL Flux and it fits beautifully. Is really a do-it-all bike despite its steep head angle. I’ve also a 2010 5Spot as well which is a bit shorter in the top tube but rides beautifully as well, though if you’re closer to 6’4″ you may want the XXL size. Either of these bikes are fantastic as one bike for pretty much everything, though the 5.Spot is more angled towards AM and the Flux XC. As with all these things, height is only part of the equation. Is your height in your legs or your torso? How long (comparatively) are your arms? Best advice as always is to ride a few and see what fits, though I appreciate that that’s not always so easy to do.

kudos100
    Free Member

I’m 6’3 with long arms and legs. I tried building the bike you are after, but I found that it was not as much fun as having two bikes.

I don’t like riding XL bikes as I find them too cumbersome. As long as the frame has a long TT, I put up with loads of seatpost.

If I was going to do it again, I’d probably start with something like an orange 5 (boring I know) or the new Blur tr.

130-40mm travel rear and 160 front.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    I second the Turner sizing.I am 6″2′ and have an XL Flux.The frame is up for sale if your interested? It is more XC orientated but will cope with a 120mm fork.£725 posted? 🙂
    Thanx,
    Max

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Show me your: All rounder bikes for Goons (6' 2" +)’ is closed to new replies.