Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Show me your 700c wheeled, disc brake equipped, hub geared bikes with a rack.
  • daleftw
    Free Member

Current rack has had a bit of an incident so I need a new ‘un.

Genesis Day01 Alfine 11 with Avid BB7s.

What you got on yours?

cynic-al
    Free Member

You need pics to choose a new rack?

Seriously?

daleftw
    Free Member

Simply because, having looked over previous threads, there’s a lot of talk about Tubus and Tortec racks which I know for a fact won’t fit my frame.

So I actually want to see one physically attached to a frame before buying.

druidh
    Free Member

It can be a real bastard getting a rack to fit on some disk-equipped frames. The Super Tourist DX seems to avoid most problems though. I tried a Tubus – with disk adapter – on my VN Amazon and it just wouldn’t fit.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Tortec won’t fit? How not?

Try Topeak or Blackburn.

Do you have an lbs to ask for advice?

daleftw
    Free Member

Aye, LBS advice was a Super Tourist DX, but I’d like to look at some other options.

druidh
    Free Member

The Blackburn disk-specific one fits much like a Super Tourist too.

garage-dweller

topeak do not that pretty disc friendly racks. although oddly the non-disc version is the only one that fits my 456. The disc version is on my v braked hybrid.

Stoner
    Free Member

700c CHECK
    Rohloff CHECK
    BB7s CHECK
    No rack but the pompetamine will take one.

sc-xc

My pompetamine, rack, mudguards and panniers arrive tomorrow. I’ll post some exciting pictures then… 8)

daleftw
    Free Member

Stoner – Member
    700c CHECK
    Rohloff CHECK
    BB7s CHECK
    No rack but the pompetamine will take one

Aye, but which one? 😆

sc-xc – Member
    My pompetamine, rack, mudguards and panniers arrive tomorrow. I’ll post some exciting pictures then…

Which ones did you go for?

sc-xc

Blackburn something or other – it was on special at on one

cynic-al
    Free Member

I have a rack on my derailleur geared disc road bike, but I guess that’s not relevant 😛

sc-xc

You’ve got me thinking now. I bought this rack – it says it is the ‘Original and best selling mountain rack for rear use’

Would a ‘mountain’ rack fit the Pompetamine? – this may be a stupid question, but I am new to racks.

I understand there is only one set of holes, and I intend to run SKS mudguards – so a bit of bodging will be required.

daleftw
    Free Member

I tried to fit SKS mudguards on my Genesis. Good luck 😆

druidh
    Free Member

The problem is usually that the rack struts foul the disk caliper, but this is very frame specific. The Super Tourist ( and the disk-specific Blackburn rack) have a stand-off arrangement to prevent this happening. FWIW, I managed to fit a standard Blackburn rack to an Inbred just by using a couple of thin washers as spacers.

sc-xc

Will the 700cc wheels be a problem? Are racks different heights?

druidh
    Free Member

They can be. Trying to fit a 26″ rack over SKS mudguards might cause an issue with tyre clearance. If it’s a Blackburn (or a copy thereof) you might be OK.

sc-xc

Ah well. It was only £15. I guess that’s me shopping tomorrow then. 😐

druidh
    Free Member

If you are going to be carrying a decent load then it’s worth getting a good rack. If you are going for panniers, then one that has the additional rear struts is also a good idea.

sc-xc

The one I ordered:

The one you recommend:

Is it the second horizontal bar I need? EDIT – just seen the additional vertical bar as well.

daleftw
    Free Member

Yeah, Druidh that’s what I’m after.

Don’t have any photos of my bike, but I think this is what it looks like.

Actually, no it’s not. Not at all.

tinribz
    Free Member

No hub, does that matter?

Tortec Apex, the whole side slides out as wide as you want it. But have to attach my ortliebs to the top bar to avoid heel chaffing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You were saying something about sks guards not fitting alfine disk day ones ? Even got 35mm schwalbe marathons on there the now.

Stainless steel madison tubus logo copy on there too….

My road rat same guards same rack.

akeys001

I can confirm a pompetamine with alfine 11, mudguards, avid elixirs and and a blackburn ex1 rack work fine (so sc-xc yours looks ok) – can take photos tomorrow if you need

Edit soz didn’t realise sc-xc yours is a different model, it looks the same but confident prediction retracted!

sc-xc

Brill, cheers. Getting excited now….!

paul4stones

Looks a useful bike that Kaffenback.

federalski
    Free Member

What tyres are you sporting Stoner?
    Cheers.

boblo
    Free Member

@trailrat can you post some close ups of your rack fitting around the caliper/braze ons please? Ta.

Stoner
    Free Member

35c small block 8s.

trail_rat
    Free Member

boblo
    Free Member

Ta. Is that a long set screw and a few nuts as spacers? Doesn’t look like you needed any on the drive side?

trail_rat
    Free Member

For aesthetics you do of if your running a fat tire.

I always equalise them to center the rack anyway cause im anal.

Its a long screw and some vbrake spacers ( all a disk compatible rack is is a rack with a spacer built in)

boblo
    Free Member

Sorry everyone, this has turned into a ‘fitting racks to Day One’s thread 🙂

You said you could get 35’s on yours…. They must be a bit undersized? I couldn’t get anything bigger than 25’s on mine (Pasela’s and Marathon’s) with SKS narrow guards. The top of the fork bridge being the main offender so I can’t see a way around it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TR have you had much weight on it? Doesn’t look the strongest to me.

boblo
    Free Member

CA, do you mean a long m4 set screw cantilevered like it is? I don’t likely the look of it either but mine won’t carry any real load, just local one pannier stuff. Could always use Grade 8.8?

boblo
    Free Member

Ferkin glitchy shitty slow site

trail_rat
    Free Member

Toured shetland , orrkney and back to scotland no bother

If it comes loose its ****. But good maintainance 🙂

Mines does the weekly shop on the road rat snd i even took a months worth of off shore gear home from work on it after a short notice check in .

trail_rat
    Free Member

Infact. Jayne did 5 months touring new zealand on and off road with it fully loaded with camping gear with the same rack on a kona dew disk.

I had cantis

Neither had any issue with the racks

cynic-al
    Free Member

Fair enoguh trail rat.

boblo – I had one of these racks and a M5 bolt broke at the bottom, due to stress/flex I presume, in Switzerland. Bodged it and finished OK, and still use it on my commuter, but did not inspore confidence.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Show me your 700c wheeled, disc brake equipped, hub geared bikes with a rack.’ is closed to new replies.