Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)
  • Show me pics of your XC race bikes and give me your suggestions
  • flange
    Free Member

Hi all

Have around 2k to spend on a new race bike. Have been looking at the Cube GTC and Lapierre alu thingy. Anyone got any ideas on other choices?

I'd also be interested in seeing pics just to get inspired – a month until my bonus turns up and I'm getting excited.

Cheers

njee20
    Free Member

For £2000 it's gotta be one of these from eBay with some nice kit:

That one comes to 20lbs, probably take it to some of the flatter, or wetter courses. Or… this is my main race bike for this season:

Spoilt for choice!

flange
    Free Member

Both lovely – I'm thinking the Fuel is probably a little more than my budget though!

Have you ridden the ebay special yet? It looks pretty good for the price

cullen-bay
    Free Member

go on then…

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, been out a couple of times on it, very impressive. It's lighter, more comfortable and far cheaper than my last foray into hardtails, an S-Works carbon.

My only reservation is how long it will last, but I've yet to see a single report of any problems. You could get some SIDs, an XT groupset and some light wheels if you shop carefully, that'd be a 23lb bike probably!

flange
    Free Member

Giant is lovely

Njee20 – I'm thinking my next one will be carbon of some sort – seems like a cheap way to get into it. Definately one for the list

flange
    Free Member

While I'm thinking about it, what length races are you doing njee? I'm down for the MSG series this summer for the hour long ones – I'm wondering if there's much benefit to going FS

cullen-bay
    Free Member

oh, the giant comes in at 23lbs… but i can shave another lb off by changing the seat, seatpost and handlebars =) It is carbon btw… Im thinking of upgrading it at the end of the year, getting the new xtc advanced frame, it looks lovely!

oldgit
    Free Member

With cullen-bay. Had to make a few tweeks for racing. Longer stem and stiffer forks

njee20
    Free Member

While I'm thinking about it, what length races are you doing njee?

Bit of everything. Mainly Expert level XC, so c2hrs, but also doing some off road triathlons which are more likely to be an hour or so, and some 12 and 24 hour races, probably in a team this year.

FS for me is more about the efficiency than the comfort. On a rough course you can just sit in the saddle and turn the pedals over, on a hardtail you have to keep moving in and out of the saddle, I generally find it slower.

oldgit
    Free Member

Funny thing is XC race bikes are such light bikes, yet racing is brutal as you just steam into and over everything. Those Fof forks just bottomed out under race pressure. Now it runs Marzochis that I like because the ATA switch graduates from lock out to full squish and everything in between.
    Well well within budget, could probably buy two.

njee20
    Free Member

But you also tolerate a lack of comfort for racing, bouncing off stuff is par for the course!

The newer Giant's do look nice, their top ones with all the blue bits for 2010 look great!

Hal
    Free Member

Rocky Mountain Vertex 70, Say no more. 8)

cullen-bay
    Free Member

Sorry didnt really read your original post.

firstly- the cube reaction gtc is a superb bike- ive seen and tried one of my friends' ones.

secondly- they have already sold out of them in most places, and i believe cube have run out of them…

they still have some in stock at crc, get one while you can, they wont last long, and once they're gone they've gone.

I would go for the cube over the Lapierre any day, the cube is a lovely carbon frame, and will be faster (the only draw back of the gtc race is the SRAM)

njee20
    Free Member

Heavy wheels, reckon you could still go lighter in budget, and that's where it really matters.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

yeah, upgrading the wheels to something lighter would be an advantage- but the flip side is that the stock bike comes with Shimano XT, Rockshox SID race forks and a Carbon frame… wheels are 1800grams and should be the first place to upgrade if you can…

tootin

Mine doesn't really compare to any of yours but its all I can afford on a paper round budget and birthday money, 😕 Would like to make it a bit lighter but I am on a pretty tight budget

njee20
    Free Member

Still reckon you could go lighter/better specced on an eBay frame!

Back of a fag packet maths I reckon you could go XT/XTR with some £400 wheels and a SID fork for under £2000.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

tootin- im 15, and built my bike up through my wages!!

tootin

how do u get that sort of money, I scrape £15 a week for an hour every day

cullen-bay
    Free Member

Do you get a guarantee with the e-bay frame?

If not, it may be worth buying a cube/giant over the e-bay frame, even if the frame is the same (or better)!

If so then go for the e-bay one… built with Stans 355 on pro3 hubs built with XTR kit… simples..

oldgit
    Free Member

Mines just for 1 hour races , I do more cross.
    Most popular bike on my local scene is the Anthem.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

tootin- I was quite lucky to get a job in my LBS aged 14… a month after i started I bought that XTC carbon frame for 300… built it up over time, this is its second year racing 😀

nonk
    Free Member

cullen do you work for square wheels?

njee20
    Free Member

I did the same as C-B, started working in the LBS when I was 13, then was doing full time in the school hols from 14, did facilitate having some incredibly nice bikes at a young age!

You don't get a written warranty, but they say they're keen to help with any problems. They're very popular on Weight Weenies and I don't know of anyone who's actually had any problems.

I'd go for something lighter than the Pro 3s personally for racing! Or maybe do that and get some tarty finishing kit to drop the weight.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

i couldnt afford a lighter than 1500g set of wheels this year njee! hah.

and nonk- I aint saying nought…. how did you know, and who are you?

nonk
    Free Member

i looked at your fine blog in your profile.
    i worked as a rep a few years back and used to make the epic trip up to see square wheels, probably some of the nicest folks i met in the trade.
    bet its a nice place to graft.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

It's a fantastic place to work! 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

That's lucky, as it's several hundred miles from anywhere 🙂

handyman153
    Free Member

Any excuse to show off mine –

oldgit
    Free Member

Nice guys there. When I did the 1st Puffer I went up with a Giant dealer, they were big into them. I always fancied Cube but dealers are a bit thin on the ground down here.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

Squarewheels still do all levels of giant and cube…

oldgit
    Free Member

Nice….
    Bar ends, love em but they cause chaos on the first bend. 😈

njee20
    Free Member

Whereabouts are you Oldgit?

Nowt wrong with bar ends, I'm still getting used to the riser bar on my bikes, reckon I may go back to flats/bar ends on the hardtail at least!

Sam

This is my rigid SS, another matching one on the way which will be a front suspended geared bike. There are a couple excess in the first batch arriving next week if anyone's interested.

njee20
    Free Member

I admire the spec on that, particularly the DV46s, but I think it's a hideous bike!

Mister-P
    Free Member

Oldgit is fairly local to me Nick.

nonk
    Free Member

ooh harsh 😆

nonk
    Free Member

hey up sam did you ride 10 around kiry last year?

Sam

njee20 – Member
    I admire the spec on that, particularly the DV46s, but I think it's a hideous bike

each to their own, I wasn't super enthused about the no name carbon to be honest 😉 lucky we all have different needs/tastes really.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Show me pics of your XC race bikes and give me your suggestions’ is closed to new replies.