Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)
  • Show me pics of your XC race bikes and give me your suggestions
  • nonk
    Free Member

you could put em on wtb laser light hubs from crc ( same as american classic)
    i got a pair for 75 quid but i see that they are now 90 ish.
    still cheap though.

oddjob
    Free Member

I'm racing on ZTR Archs and find them fine :æ)

njee20
    Free Member

They're not quite the same as AMC, they're heavier, 145/265 vs 130/225. I'd rather have AMCs on Olympics and have the tougher rim.

nonk
    Free Member

i had spotted that but at 75 shecklles i had to bite. 😉

spock
    Free Member

The Lactic acid inducing racing machine

a mars bar short of 30lb

sslowpace
    Free Member

Spock, is that a mahoosive 'ding' in your downtube? 😮

spock
    Free Member

Spock, is that a mahoosive 'ding' in your downtube?

Yes, i hadn't really thought about that before.

gee
    Free Member

The Freds are 295g-300g on our scales. They're awesome as long as you use Stans – I wouldn't like to run them with tubes. I also have some Maxxlites, which are very narrow in comparison. In terms of useability, the Freds are a lot better – especially if you go with the UST version (400g) as it has tougher sidewalls.

Very nice bike Giles. Very light 🙂 TBH the only dodgy bit is your choice of pedals… Or have you found a way of stopping them falling to bits?

GB

GilesDrake
    Free Member

I had a second hand pair last year and I wasn't really impressed with the pedals from a durability POV. I bought new ones this year and they feel much better but who knows how long they will last.

Are you on a new bike this year?

oldgit
    Free Member

I'm sure I've seen a cheaper alternative to Schwalbes FFs, also made by Schwalbe just can't think what they're called 😳

oldgit
    Free Member

Scrub that, I'm thinking of Sammy Slicks. I must have had my cx head on. I'll go now.

njee20
    Free Member

They do Fast Freds, but they're a fair bit heavier and now only available with the heavier carcass (if at all).

Nothing wrong with Egg Beaters, just need to save them for dry conditions, think of them as Furious Freds for your cranks!

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Duc – Member
    Incidentally, are those Carnegies on there at the moment ?

Yes, really comfy as well.

gee
    Free Member

Giles – we have some A La Carte Ti bikes on the way when they get round to welding the damn tubes together… Some nice build stuff too it would seem. Won't have it at Sherwood though – April at the earliest 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

Chili Con Crossos for Sherwood surely!?

oldgit
    Free Member

As I've got the right audience here, anyone know who makes the carbon flats with the moulded pistol style grip in the centre?

Ti29er
    Free Member

Similar to the 2008 bike I have, but it's not been ridden for over 18 months as I'm enjoying my 29er!
    XTR everything, Ti bolts all-round.
    What size are you as it'll be on eBay when the weather improves.

njee20
    Free Member

Why change to ti bolts on a bike you never really liked riding? Wasted expense that. Or put them on the 29er, no one will pay more for a bike with a ti bolt kit!

I know the ones you mean oldgit, but don't know who does them, I was thinking it was Token or Trigon or someone, but a Google search was fruitless.

oldgit
    Free Member

Begining to think they might have been 'Hong Kong Specials'

JamesP
    Free Member

Can you ride a CX bike at the BMBS? I have no intention of doing so…but just wondered?

My Chili Con Crosso is currently doing winter training bike duties anyway…24c tyres not cx ones.

Njee/Old Git – I'm intrigued now…I can't think what these flats looklike. Pistol style grip in the middle?

oldgit
    Free Member

Like Oval road/Ergo bars if that helps. the centre section is flattened and sculptured for your hands.
    I ride that position quite a bit so it's nice to copy that to the MTB. I'm only interested though not gagging for them.

njee20
    Free Member

Can you ride a CX bike at the BMBS? I have no intention of doing so…but just wondered?

Nah! Would probably be advantageous at Sherwood though. Bit sketchy in the singletrack flat out maybe!

GilesDrake
    Free Member

Gutted dude, I hate that!

I've got the same issue with waiting on team kit because ordering it's been left so late!

JamesP
    Free Member

Oldgit – OK I see now. For that hands almost together look. My Easton EC90s are so bloody narrow (560mm) by the time you but grip shifts and brake levers on them I don't reckon there would be enough space.

Njee – still got that slightly used 30.9 NU seatpost?

Sam

Sam, do you think it's the fact they're carbon that makes them feel better, or the tubs, or the weight?

All of the above really, the carbon makes them very stiff – they just feel supremely precise with no noticeable deflection under acceleration or cornering. The tyres are also just very fast rolling and amazingly grippy for their size. In mud they're incredible. Of course they are also very light overall. I will soon find out how much of it is the tyres as I should have some clinchers coming as well.

sslowpace
    Free Member

?

Ti29er
    Free Member

Why change to ti bolts

Who said anything about changing anything?

Nothing has been changed, it came with the Ti bolts and XTR kit.

no one will pay more for a bike with a ti bolt kit!

No one said they would!

gee
    Free Member

The bars you're talking about were made by Trigon a couple of years ago. Pointless. Can't adjust the angle of the bar sweep, can't play with stem length, expensive when you crash and damage the bars….

njee20
    Free Member

Nah I'm sure I've seen some that weren't with an integrated stem. Agree that they're pretty pointless though, just restricts setting up your controls.

Who said anything about changing anything?

So it's got a few ti bolts in the stem? Shimano don't use them anywhere. "Ti bolts everywhere" implied you'd fitted a full set and were using that as a sales point, was just saying if that's the case it'd make more sense to stick them on the bike you use!

Sorry James, sold the 30.9 post!

oldgit
    Free Member

Not like those above, aless extreme version of these

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

For a limited budget, i put together the following. BMC Elite alu frame (£250 ebay), rebas, xt/slx, juicy 3s, my old crossmaxs, tubeless, ritchey carbon bars, syncros carbon post. 25lb with heavy breaks and slx bits, not too shabby and not that harsh either.

oldgit
    Free Member

@rusty trowel
    Mine was just 'put together' I'm not a contender, though I'd be happy with top tens in the over fifties. But you reach a point of deminishing returns, and I think I'm just about there with mine. Though I could do with replacing the Alu post and stem with carbon jobbies.

big-chief-96
    Free Member

this picture has been on many times before but i havnt got any new ones yet. this is my XC, race, all mountain, freeride, jump, downhill, tourer, road, bmx and whatever others you can think of.

I wish i had more money 🙄

flatfish
    Free Member

my new weapon of choice for this season

Ti29er
    Free Member

implied you'd fitted a full set

As previously stated, I've not changed anything.
    The bike was collected from the Merida show room in Long Eaton. Nothing has been changed nor been modified from the original spec' and that's one selling point as opposed to telling someone I've since down-graded any of the kit on the bike.

Now that makes better sense!

Bream
    Free Member

Hej njee, can you get those ebay carbon frames as a 29er?

njee20
    Free Member

Not to my knowledge no. It's the same frame that goes to lots of the small manufacturers, like Massi and Full Dynamix, none of whom tend to do 29ers.

Bream
    Free Member

Shame as I quite fancied building up a cheapish lightish 29er to spend some time on before commiting big bucks for a superfly 100 etc to replace the advanced later in the year.

Jason
    Free Member

oldgit, do you mean these ones:

Available from Aspire Velotech at a reasonable $87.50

Viewing 39 posts - 81 through 119 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Show me pics of your XC race bikes and give me your suggestions’ is closed to new replies.