Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 119 total)
  • Show me pics of your XC race bikes and give me your suggestions
  • njee20
    Free Member

But the no-name carbon was really cheap, and that was the sole motivation for buying it, that's not 🙂

timdrayton
    Free Member

sam what are the forks on that singular?

njee20 you have some lovely bikes, can i pick your brains on kit choice for a build i am doing, not racing but looking to get as light as possible?

njee20
    Free Member

It's a Niner rigid carbon fork.

You can indeed, email in profile…

Sam

hey up sam did you ride 10 around kiry last year?

Yep, and I loved it. Really great event, nice folks, brilliant course and well run. We were very pleased to take second in the team of three. Hope to make it back up there this year.

That was actually the first event in which I rode those wheels (though on a Gryphon with drop bars) and they blew me away, biggest upgrade ever on a bike. I'd almost be tempted to say to anyone wanting to spend 2k on an XC race bike get some carbon tub wheels instead and stick them on your current bike. Save the balance (though it may not be much) for entry fees and the inevitable chains, cassettes etc. They will make a bigger difference (assuming current bike is not a complete porker and in decent nick) than just buying a new 2k race bike.

nonk
    Free Member

nice bike that mate i oggled it a fair bit that day.
    what about flats though?
    i was on the team that won the three man race.just about killed me thanks to you boys.
    i think one of out team said something like..we have to beat them they are on road bikes with no gears.. 😆
    in fact i have a picture of us all on the podium stuck to the fridge.

Sam

Aha! We'll have you next year 😉

You mean flat tyres? Yes, can be an issue. Eventually had one at 24/12 which was dispiriting. owever Ihave been using caffelatex sealant since then and none since.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

nah, were winning it this year… 😯

Not. 😆

nonk
    Free Member

bloody dougal and his mate was in the pairs race and did more laps than us 😯
    git. 😆

GilesDrake
    Free Member

This is what I'm using this year. Set of Stans instead of the carbon rims though. Weight, 18lbs with my Crank Brothers Pedals on. Obviously cost a pretty penny but they do much more reasonable priced ones…

njee20
    Free Member

Have they stopped them snapping constantly!? It'd better weigh 18lbs for £6300! The demo bike I weighed last year was a whole lot heavier than that, despite MSCs claims! At least you have a constant supply of frames for when yours snaps!

Sam, do you think it's the fact they're carbon that makes them feel better, or the tubs, or the weight?

You could spend less on a lighter clincher set up, which I'd expect would be better for most, more versatile certainly!

cullen-bay
    Free Member

Just keep the receipt from the MSC- other than MSC's snapping a lot, that is a Lovely bike

nonk
    Free Member

is that how much it is? fek. 😯
    it is nice though.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Here's mine (not that I'll actually be racing!) – just ordered a set of American Classic wheels for it. Gone back to risers since this pic though.

I've got a set of SID Race forks for it as well, but having run it with both I prefer the Float 80RLT's even if they're a bit heavier.

Starrman28
    Free Member

epicsteve

Is that a Zion? I was thinking of swapping my Stumper HT frame for one of those. I guess it's a nice ride is it?

Cheers

dustytrails

For what it's worth, GO TITANIUM, IMHO Carbon is for Road bikes – It doesn't like being crashed, You WILL crash. If you're looking for a bike that will last, it's your best option. Doesn't have to be US made!!

epicsteve
    Free Member

Is that a Zion? I was thinking of swapping my Stumper HT frame for one of those. I guess it's a nice ride is it?

It is indeed a Zion. I've had a few months and am still working out the best set-up for me (80 or 100mm forks, flats or risers etc) but have been impressed by it so far. I've no other Ti frames to compare it with but it's noticeably comfier than the Dave Hinde M3 frame I also have (which also a bit lighter than the Zion).

JohnClimber
    Free Member

With Brant's new carbon Carnegie's bars, Stans new crest rims on American classic hubs from JRA and weighs in a fraction over 20lbs.

It's great for up to 3 hours unless it's a smoothish trail then it can go all day.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Johnclimber – i salute you. What a **** gorgeous bike that niner is 😀

nicks
    Free Member

my hardtail ..

and my new full sus ….

epicsteve
    Free Member

Johnclimber – i salute you. What a **** gorgeous bike that niner is

Not to my eyes I'm afraid, although usually I find niners the best looking (which isn't necessarily saying much!) of 29ers. Partially I think it's the colour, but also something about the relationship of saddle and bar height seems to make it look like the frame is too big for that rider.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

relationship of saddle and bar height seems to make it look like the frame is too big for that rider.

I realised the saddle needed raising a bit after I sat back on it after this shot, the seat clamp wasn't tight enough and it had slide down a little 😳

Duc
    Free Member

Probably the weight of that saddle bag that made it go down – How do you fill it ? 😀

Incidentally, are those Carnegies on there at the moment ?

Bream
    Free Member

Any excuse to show the old bird:

In Sweden I am just about the only guy on the start line riding a FS setup and I do it for the exact reason njee20 wrote before, I can just sit down and peddle. Off road I am racing the 1 hour + lap XC series and some marathon events.

May be her last year with me racing mind as I am being seriously tempted onto a Superfly 100, if only the frame prices would come down :mrgreen:

oddjob
    Free Member

When it was brand new

Thinking about some new forks at some point…

oldgit
    Free Member

njee20
    Leighton Buzzard or Woburn.
    TBH that's my only MTB, if I was only racing it I'd do more to it. Hoping to do well on it in the Grande Vets at this years FNSS.
    But cross and road is my main thing.

GilesDrake
    Free Member

njee20 & cullen-bay:: I've certainly seen/heard of some MSCs snapping. I wouldn't say a lot though and mainly the full sus.

For the record, I rode/raced last years bike hard tail with full XTR and never had any issues.

I ride for their UK team so £6,300 isn't what I paid but I never said it was cheap!

On the weight front, 18lb IS the weight on my scales (at the moment).

I admit, the tyres are not usuable in this country, the term "semi slick" would be generous.

Having said that, I've only got MSCs 355 wheelset on it at the moment because I've got Stans to go on. This in weight terms will balance out usable tyres so I would still expect the weight to be in this area.

njee20
    Free Member

So you've got the Maxxlite 285s on it?

My eBay special with Mud-Xs is 20. So you've got 530g on tyres, yours has XX, and a SID WC fork.

I'll wager if I spent another £4000 I could get mine lighter 😉

That's rubbish about there not being a problem with them snapping and you know it! 2 at Dalby, Paul Robertson's Koncept and I've heard of various other problems. I really want to like them, but they're not tough enough considering the amount of cash you have to lay down!

I'll have a Flash Team if I'm spending that sort of money!

sslowpace
    Free Member

Bream, excellent choice sir!!

nonk
    Free Member

are most folks running 355s these days?
    i am on standard race (not 7000) and find them a bit bendy in the corners.
    still true and doing the job mind you just a bit noodly.

GilesDrake
    Free Member

njee20, yeah the tyres are insane, although I used them at sherwood last year! Probably shouldn't of, but they got me round quickly! 😉

I didn't say there wasn't any problems, I said I had no issues with my bike last year. Just because I ride for them doesn't mean I'm going to defend them to the death. I can only account for my own bike and honestly it's the best mtb I've ever ridden.

Paul has had a few issues with his bike but it is a full sus and you always have a load more issues with them than HTs. In my opinion they've made the FS too light and are bound to have problems.

A couple of the bikes from last year where considered pre production and I remember there was a problem with a batch of swing arms. I know some bolts have snapped as well but this isn't really the frame.

It seems like your opinion is being coloured by the FS and not the HT.

I'd probably agree with you on the Flash, it's a stunner aint it!

GilesDrake
    Free Member

nonk, I'm on the race 7000s and I've found them great. I think from a durability POV, the 355s are a better option in the long run.

bigsi
    Free Member

My weapon of choice, and yes i know it really shouldn't have gears on it 😉

Its not light but then neither am i 🙄 .

I just hope its as quick with me on it as it was last year when Sam rode it (not a chance 😳 )

njee20
    Free Member

Actually Paul's was the only FS I was aware of breaking, it was generally the hardtails, as I've heard they've made them so stiff that the seat stays just snap rather than flexing!

I think the Hope Hoops with 355s offer such good value for money too, it's brought Stan's rims to the masses as it were!

I want to get some Podium MMX wheels for the Fuel, but whether I'll get round to it before splurging on something else is another matter!

Sherwood's the place for the Maxxlites, it's about the one course I use Furious Freds! You just need to learn to stay upright Giles, was it Crow and Margam you ended up on the floor in the first half a mile 🙂

GilesDrake
    Free Member

Haha actually it was both Crow & Margam… Made up for it at Plymouth though! I do need to ride my mtb more often, my technical ability is shocking…

I didn't realise there were many HTs in the country as I'm the only one on the team with one and there is a demo bike which was pre production and snapped. I'm quoting the rep now but this years frames have had the angle of the brake mount increased in a effort to push the shock through the bottom stays rather than the seat stays. So if nothing else, they are trying.

I want the podiums MXX too but they only do them as a wheelset and I'd prefer to use the same hubs for my race wheelsets so it makes them easier to switch in and out…

njee20
    Free Member

Nah you can get the rims from JRA and various places in Europe, they're pretty cheap from JRA, far less than the Race 7000s.

Plymouth was a good result certainly, bet that annoyed Sion, he never did win one!

tinsy
    Free Member

mmmm, OK the talk of 285g tyres whetted my appetite, I am always looking for something to give me the edge on the race to the chip shop.

I don't think I will bother posting images of my porky old Scandal on this one its got pretty serious racer.

Suffice to say I have raced every bike ive owned, wether it was always suitable for what I was doing is debatatable but when all said and done, its still the bloke on it that makes the difference.

njee20
    Free Member

The Maxxlite 285s are unbelievably expensive, I forget how much, but it's over £100 each. Furious Freds are only 10g more and much more 'sensible' for a crazy fast tyre with no grip!

tinsy
    Free Member

I thought the furious fred was about the same as a Twister Supersonic at 340g?

I wont be buying any 285's anytime soon!!

GilesDrake
    Free Member

JRA state on their website they are only available as a wheelset (unless that's changed in the last week). I also asked the question directly to JRA with the same response, strange. I'll have to investigate, where in europe?

Yeah, I wouldn't of been happy if I was Sion!

njee20
    Free Member

Google them, Starbike do, I think Action Sports do and various other German outlets, some of them have some really cheap wheelsets, €500 with 'Fun Works' hubs and €800 with DT 190s!

JRA certainly imply they can get them here, but I asked Jon and got the same reply as you.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 119 total)

The topic ‘Show me pics of your XC race bikes and give me your suggestions’ is closed to new replies.